Agrusa/DiMaggio surnames

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Joyj65

Post by Joyj65 »

Thanks suanji...

Yes, I am aware of some of those sites, and I appreciate all the time you have given to help me out. Thanks again! :lol: Joy
john_dominic
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Agrusa/DiMaggio Surnames

Post by john_dominic »

raymo wrote:As an aside, the DIMAGGIO surname in Sicily is often considered "Arberesh". They are the descendents of Albanians who settled in Sicily in the 1500s, especially in certain towns in Piana degli Albanesi, such as Monteiuso & Contessa Entellina . You may want to see the directory on www.leaptoad.com for more info on that topic.
For the record the DiMaggios in my family are from Santa Cristina Gela, which is right across a large man-made reservoir, opposing Piana degli Albanesi, were known to be Arberesh, and even spoke an Arberesh dialect upon coming to America.

I wouldn't necessarily jump to a connection (since there are so many DiMaggios in Sicily), but it might be worth investigating.

My first Ancestor in that line, to America, was Pietro DiMaggio, born in 1883, who went 100% on his own to Chicago, and settled in the Metro area.

J
Joyj65

Re: Agrusa/DiMaggio surnames

Post by Joyj65 »

Thanks, John.

Joy