Going through GGP

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Going through GGP

Post by KarenChristino »

I think because I lacked one of the essential ingredients -- the direct line GF BC -- I had to start from scratch. Often they will take what you have and I believe they give you 90 days for the corrections/additions; sometimes you can just drop them off. But they'll let you know. It does seem rare to go back 3 generations with everything correct on the 1st appointment -- that's just a lot of documents.

Let us know how it goes!
trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trinasignoriello »

Thanks RJ. I've already checked there without any luck. I am going down to Little Italy today to check out the churches for baptismal records. Might those be acceptable??

Karen, the amount of docs is amazing. and because it goes back so far, there is so much room for trouble. As it is, my GF was named Michele, but he often went by Michael. I am hoping they allow that as it is such a common name translation.

Anyone have any luck using census reports? I found them for my GGM, whose BC I cannot locate!!

Thanks again.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

If your GF is in your direct line NY is likely to make an issue out of it. They have been particularly picky with most discrepancies and have made issues out of simple Anglicization of first names. If your mother's BC says Michael and not Michele it could be an issue. I think your line is GGF->GF->M->you. If it is different let us know.
trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

Yes.... ggf-gf-m-me

any advice on how to 'change' it or get a legalized document saying he is one and the same?

His DC and my mom's BC come from Pennsylvania. (PA also messed up my GM's bc. Botched her first name big time)
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

I brought a 1905 Census to show my GGF's Alien status. However they also asked for 1900 and 1910 as well and it sounded like she wanted them to legitimize the spelling change from Cristino to Christino. They need to be certified (red ribbon) from NARA which in my experience takes several weeks. I don't know how important they are. When I told her that I've searched up and down for a 1900 Census for the family and posted it to this forum as well with no luck, she said that I should bring a "No Records" letter for the search.
trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

what is odd is that michele angelo and michael angelo are one and the same and since birth dates are listed, as are parents' names on all docs, it's strange to make a big deal and question it. imo.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

I completely agree with you and it is plainly evident that Michele is Michael, however the NY consulate can be picky on the issue. I know it makes verly little sense but that is the way NY can be. In most if not all the other consulates this would not be an issue. Just be prepared for the worst and hopefully some good with come out of it.
trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

can I do anything ahead of time? an affadavit from someone swearing he is one and the same?
trinasignoriello
Rookie
Rookie

Hi JJ313
I have downloaded all of the templates that seem useful from the italian citizenship site. Any chance that the ones you have arebetter/more updated? I need to translate my docs this week for my upcoming appointment... If you have any you'd like to share, I'd appreciate it very much!! My email is my user name @ gmail.com

In the meantime, still no luck on GGM's BC. I have her DC and her marriage certificate. i also have the problem of my GF's name change, and my GM's name was completely mispelled.

We shall see!