Strange request in translating paragraph!!!!!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Strange request in translating paragraph!!!!!

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Hi! Well, I have a strange request for help. I am wondering if anyone has the time to translate a paragraph on a marriage document. Within the last day or so I found the marriage document for my Great Great Grandparents ( from 1900) in Novara di Sicilia! I do not have the actual copy (yet) but it is on line on familysearch.org. See...the were married in 1900....about 25 years (or so) after having their first child. It seems that he was married to someone else too....but had two children with her...my great grandmother and her sister. Now....the bottom of the marriage document has the information on their 2 children....it gives the names and birthdates....I need someone to help me with that part....I think it says that one, Maria was born in Tripi....but I cant make out the year and I am having a hard time finding it in the birth registers. I think the year is either 1872, 1875, 1877 or 1879. Also....it appears Maria was given the last name "Trovato". So, why did my GG Grandmother go to another town to have her baby...and why give her a different last name???? Is it because the father was married to another woman and she didn't want her to find out? Well, all that being said.....if I post the registry number and image number of the document....would someone be so kind to help me figure this out? I tried posting a link...but apparently that doesnt quite work. Also...is it possible that, due to the circumstances, that Maria's birth was just not recorded???? Thanks again for any help that you can give me!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Strange request in translating paragraph!!!!!

Post by liviomoreno »

Could you please give us the link to the FamilySearch.org image? Or at least names of groom and bride, marriage date and place...
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Thanks! It under Novara di Sicilia.... the marriage date is 8 Diciembre, 1900....the Groom is Carmelo Scardino and the Bride is Giocchina Affannato. Thank you!
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Also...it is in the Matrimonios 1867-1900 and it is image # 2492!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Maria Trovato was registered in Tripi on Feb 2 1872, while Michela was registered in Novara di Sicilia on May 11 1880. With this marriage Carmelo and Gioachina recognize them as their legitimate children.
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

YES! I found Michela's birth record...but not Maria's! So then is that all that that handwritten paragraph says? Also...on Maria's marriage record to my GGrandfather....it says "genitori ignoti" for Maria...does that mean that she didn't know who her parents were???
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

My understanding is: When Maria was born she was registered with parents unknown and she was given the surname Trovato by the Official. (Trovato means Found...)
If she married tour GGrandfather before Carmelo and Gioachina marriage, Dec 8 1890, the in it is correct that she appears as "genitori ignoti", but if her marriage occurred after that date the names of her legitimate parents should appear...
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Wow! So could MAria have been in an orphanage or something?
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

I think I found Maria's birth note! Her name is listed as "Maria Villagio" and "paterni incogniti" on 12, Marzo, 1871! That HAS to be her! If you have a moment...I know that I am asking WAY too much here....but can you take a look at it and see if it says anything about anyone who might have taken her in to raise her or anything?????? It is listed in the Tripi Nati registry for 1866-1910 and it is image 163..on the lower right side! I thought that when I found her parents marriage record that all my questions would be answered....but all it did was leave me with more! Thank you again for all your help with this!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I wonder why Carmelo and Gioachina said that they were legitimate a child named Trovato if her daughter was Villagio! BTW Maria Villagio was temporarily given to Domenica Bonanno to be fed.
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Well, this story gets more and more interesting the further I get! Well, I took a second look at the marriage document of Maria and my GGrandfather....on it her name is listed as "Emilia".....now I am wondering if that is just a simple mistake ...or if that's the name that this Domenica gave her....but it is dated 1893..and her parents are listed as unknown...so when/how did she even find out who her natural parents were? Back then...when a woman had a baby out of wedlock...did they "leave them on church steps" like folklore states? WOW!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Where is the marriage record of Maria and your GGrandfather?
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

It is in the Novara di Sicilia Matrimonial for the year 1893.....I believe it is image # 2337....Giuseppe D'aveni is the groom and I have his birth note and his parents birth and marriage info from the Messina archives....so I am pretty sure its the same Giuseppe.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

OK. Emilia Trovato's birth record is at https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=14215817 (nati 1866-1910 img 224)
She was found in Tripi 5 Feb 1873 and she is no way connected with Carmelo Scardino and Gioachina Affannato.
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

WOW! Then she is my GGranfathers first wife! So now I must find out when she died and when he married Maria! Just when I thought I had it!