How long should I wait for documents from Italy?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

How long should I wait for documents from Italy?

Post by MCKay »

How long should I wait for documents from Italy? I sent out two different requests to two different towns for birth certificates at the same time. Two weeks later I received one birth certificate but it has now been a month and a half and I have not heard anything from the other town. How long should I wait before I sent out another request for this certificate. I'm in a bit of a rush as my appointment with the Italian Consulate is coming up in July.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: How long should I wait for documents from Italy?

Post by adelfio »

I would fax them with the info you need
fax numbers are
Salaparuta 0924 75722
Petralia Soprano +39 0921 684110
Include this infront of the faxletter you send with your email address
Ho scritto all'ufficio di stato civile di TOWN NAME il DATE LETTER WAS SENT non ho ancora ricevuto alcuna risposta. Capisco che ci vuole tempo per svolgere le ricerche .
La ringrazio per la sua gentilezza e attendo con fiducia una risposta
Copy of letter you sent for the record you wanted

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCKay »

Marty, you are on top of things! Thanks for the help!
jay gulbin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jay gulbin »

I have heard of some on here that have received them within months, I have been waiting over a year....someone did tell me, I think from this forum, that it is a crap shoot...some have never received their request. be patient and if you do get a response, consider it Divine Intervention, Haha!
jay gulbin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jay gulbin »

Marty, I just saw your reply, do you know where I can get the the fax to Arquata del Tronto?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

jay gulbin wrote:Marty, I just saw your reply, do you know where I can get the the fax to Arquata del Tronto?
I looked on there website no fax but there is email that you have to access on the site
just click on the email address and it will bring up a prompt for email heres the page

http://www.tecuting.it/c044006/uf/uf_p_ ... 8&fnode=18

Can I see what you sent and did you enclose a photo ID with your letter

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
jay gulbin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jay gulbin »

adelfio wrote:
jay gulbin wrote:Marty, I just saw your reply, do you know where I can get the the fax to Arquata del Tronto?
I looked on there website no fax but there is email that you have to access on the site
just click on the email address and it will bring up a prompt for email heres the page

http://www.tecuting.it/c044006/uf/uf_p_ ... 8&fnode=18

Can I see what you sent and did you enclose a photo ID with your letter

Marty
Hey Marty, my computer has crashed since then and everything is gone....thankfully I didn't lose all of my search materials because they were in ancestry.com....I did find this site that basically told me everything I needed to say (it even converted it into Italian for me) by the recommendation of someone on this board. It was a generic letter for sure.

If I send them an email do you think I would have to translate it over.

Jay
jay gulbin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jay gulbin »

and I did not send a photo ID
MCKay
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCKay »

I have heard that they require a photo ID with most all requests. Also, pretend that they don't speak English. If you want them to understand it you might want to make the letter out in Italian.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Leave your info for what you want and where with the dates and names and I will help with the request

Marty

Marty
jay gulbin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jay gulbin »

MCKay wrote:I have heard that they require a photo ID with most all requests. Also, pretend that they don't speak English. If you want them to understand it you might want to make the letter out in Italian.
Yeah, didn't know about the ID part but I did send the letter in Italian, it was a form letter from a website the showed you how to send it, all you had to do was fill in the blanks of what you needed and whom you were looking for.
jay gulbin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jay gulbin »

adelfio wrote:Leave your info for what you want and where with the dates and names and I will help with the request

Marty
Wow Marty, thanks a lot!!!!!! That would be huge!!!

I am looking for any birth records, marriage records, family records, arrest records (haha! you never know), etc....

Family Members:
Vincenzo Lauri (Great-Great Grandfather) and married to Filomena Santolini (Great-Great Grandmother)....their siblings were (as far as I know of) Lewis Lauri (Laurie in the US), he was my Great Grandfather and his sister was Maria Lauri...I have good documentation of both Lewis and Maria from the states....Lewis died in the town I was born in and his grave is there. I have pictures of that. Maria moved to Michigan and married into the Tampani Family. I was looking for any other family information for all of these and family members I may not know of..who were their descendants, etc....

- Jay
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Town officials are not in the business of doing your family research. I get the best responses by keeping the reqest simple:

Atto di nascita di:-
SURNAME, first name, son of (first name of father and motehr if known) approx birth date or span of years (not to eceed 10 years).

SOme towns have the kind of records that allow them to get information on the entire family but most don't. Long complicated family stories just end up in the garbage.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

jay gulbin wrote:
adelfio wrote:Leave your info for what you want and where with the dates and names and I will help with the request

Marty
Wow Marty, thanks a lot!!!!!! That would be huge!!!

I am looking for any birth records, marriage records, family records, arrest records (haha! you never know), etc....

Family Members:
Vincenzo Lauri (Great-Great Grandfather) and married to Filomena Santolini (Great-Great Grandmother)....their siblings were (as far as I know of) Lewis Lauri (Laurie in the US), he was my Great Grandfather and his sister was Maria Lauri...I have good documentation of both Lewis and Maria from the states....Lewis died in the town I was born in and his grave is there. I have pictures of that. Maria moved to Michigan and married into the Tampani Family. I was looking for any other family information for all of these and family members I may not know of..who were their descendants, etc....

- Jay
How about some more info Jay like where did they settle in the states and some abt birth dates

Marty

Marty
jay gulbin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jay gulbin »

Hey Marty, it looks like the main settlement was in Beckley West Virginia.....1882 - 1946 is what I have for Lewis....Vincenzo could have been anywhere from 1859 - 1862. Filomena, I am not sure of.