Birth Record Question

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
tomtst
Veteran
Veteran

Birth Record Question

Post by tomtst »

This is the birth record of Raffaele Todisco the son of Caterina Ciampi. It also says "comparso Alessio Todisco" Caterina's husband and I am assuming the father of Raffaele is Pasquale Todisco. Pasquale does not die for another 10 years and is listed with Caterina on other births after this one. I know when it says comparso it is just the person reporting the birth and not always the father. My question is where Alessio signs the document does it say his relationship? Alessio is only 4 years older than Caterina and could be Pasquale's brother or Rafaelle's uncle.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23851601@N ... otostream/

Tom
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Birth Record Question

Post by adelfio »

Comparso means appeared normally the father is listed after the word comparso also a midwife or if the father is somewhere else that is usually listed after the mothers name and says where he was at at the time of birth.
It doesnt show that are you sure Alessio is not the father

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
tomtst
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tomtst »

I can't be 100% sure Alessio is not the father, but Pasquale is listed on 8 other birth records with Caterina (both before and after this one). Caterina is also listed on Pasquale's death record. both Pasquale's father and his son are named Alessio but the ages don't match for it to be one of them. Alessio is 34 and Caterina is 30. Maybe Pasquale was to busy passing out cigars at the bar?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Might have some same family names in the mix. Can I see Pasquale's death record In my family everyone has a Salvatore Adelfio in it every uncle and aunt named one kid Salvatore and Giuseppa so it took a while to figure it out.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
tomtst
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tomtst »

This is Pasquale's death record. Not very clear, I need to see if I can get a better picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23851601@N ... /lightbox/

Tom
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Since the record looks like it was signed by Alessio Todisco i dont think its a written error on the records
Tom the other possibility is two Caterina's you would have to find Alessio death record to see who his wife is on the record to prove that.

Marty

Marty
tomtst
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tomtst »

Looks like I will have to dig some more.

Thanks
Tom
tomtst
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tomtst »

If I calculate Caterina's (Pasquale's wife) age from her children's birth records it appears she was born in 1796. If you calculate Caterina's age from Raffaele's birth record (that lists Alessio) it works out to 1796. I still think Caterina is the same person on all these records.

Tom