Surname Orfano is that Orphan??

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tomassid
Rookie
Rookie

Surname Orfano is that Orphan??

Post by tomassid »

I found my grandmother's original maiden name was Orfano. Her father was from Castelpetroso in Molise and they changed the name to Orlando after they arrived in the USA. I reviwed the FHC microfilm for Castelpetroso for 1811-1855 births and surprisingly I found quite a few births for Orfano and I don't think they are all related to me, but I think in that town they might have used the surname Orfano for illegitimate babies as well as abandoned ones. I'm getting confused any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Dara
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Surname Orfano is that Orphan??

Post by liviomoreno »

tomassid wrote:...I think in that town they might have used the surname Orfano for illegitimate babies as well as abandoned ones. I'm getting confused any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Dara
95% correct...
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

I found a Nicandro and Angelo Orfano from Castelpetroso, but i believe the name originates from the Calabria Region?

I know Orfano means Orphan in Italian, but isn't the 'Diversi' records for Illegitimate births, not 'Nati'?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

jamiecapaldi wrote:...
I know Orfano means Orphan in Italian, but isn't the 'Diversi' records for Illegitimate births, not 'Nati'?
Vital records are Nati=Births, Morti=deaths, Matrimoni=Marriages.
I don't know what "Diversi" should contain... and I believe it was before the unification of Italy. I might be wrong...
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Livio is correct - Atti di diversi are most often found before 1865. These records might include anything. However, the most common documents seen among the atti di diversi are (1) birth records of still-born children (morti-nati), (2) birth records of abandoned children (nati di proietti), (3) records of deaths of inhabitants that took place outside the town (morti fuori), (4) adoptions (adozioni), (5) recognitions of abandoned children (recognizioni), (6) changes of domicile (domicilio), (7) records of earlier deaths (morti tardi), and (8) records of the deaths of persons unknown (morti ignoti). There may, of course, be other records that I haven't run across during my research. Most of my research has been in Molise.

@ Jamie - Depending upon the time period, the birth records of foundlings, or proietti, are usually found in either atti di diversi (pre-1865) or atti di nato (and then, often in parte II).
John Armellino
tomassid
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tomassid »

Jamie, Nicandro Orfano is my great grandfather, Angelo his brother, they are who I am researching to find the orgination of Orfano, like who was the orphan that started the Orfano surname in my family.
tomassid
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tomassid »

Livi, John & Jamie, I have been reviewing Italian microfilms for many years and for several regions in Italy, Campania, Molise, Chieti and Sardinia (Sassari, Nuoro) and I have seen many birth records that say "Illegitimate" or father unknown for orphans or children born out of wedlock. Maybe because the records are so early, 1820-1844, this town was doing their own thing. They are Atti di Nascita, can't see a word like illegittimo or proietti. I would be glad to scan the birth record for you all to see and get your opinions.
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Yes, that would be a good idea, may thow more light on!

Cheers, Jamie
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
tomassid
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tomassid »

Here is the image, Atti di Nascita for an Orfano, note, no father listed, mother is Francesca Orfano, male child named Giovanniantonio Orfano. Nowhere on the birth or baptism info do I see illegitimate or father unknown. Maybe you will see something I do not. Thanks for your input!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The image is too small to be examined...
Form what you are saying Giovanniantonio took the surname of his mother (who did not want to name the father). Orfano. in this case is already a surname, as any other surname. We should check Francesca's birth to see if she is the firs in the family who got the surname and why...
tomassid
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tomassid »

I enlarged the image, if you open it you should be able to enlarge with your zoom level in the bottom right hand corner of your computer. Thanks for help.Image
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The image is still the same (small) size it is however less blurred and I could read the significant part which confirms what I said in my previous post. Giovannantonio took the surname of his mother Francesca Orfano. You should check Francesca's birth record...