Passengers/Census arrived in NY between 1851 and 1991

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Cach

Post by Cach »

mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Passengers/Census arrived in NY between 1851 and 1991

Post by mfjp »

Just completed a Castle Garden search... and I don't think you are in luck...

Gpe Brando age 30 arrival date Mar 1882 birth year 1870 Male Naples, Italy Italy United States of America ships name Utopia
Guiseppe Brando 23 Jun 1888 1867 Male Naples, Italy Italy New York Cheribon
Guiseppe Brando 2 Mar 1891 1863 Male Hamburg, Germany and Le Havre, France Italy New York Rhaetia
Guiseppe Brando 29 Apr 1891 1865 Male Hamburg, Germany and Le Havre, France Italy New York Russia
-----------------
Census birth years 1840-64, tho I posted 3 Joes, only one... meets your criteria...

1880 Census Guiseppe BRANDO wife Rosa BRANDO New York (Manhattan), New York City-Greater, NY <1843> ITALY Self
Rosa BRANDO hubby Guiseppe BRANDO New York (Manhattan), New York City-Greater, NY <1853> ITALY Wife
Joseph Brando
Birth:  abt 1855 - Italy
Residence:  1920 - Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey
Source:  Census - 1920 United States Federal Census

Joseph Brando
Birth:  abt 1851 - Deutschland
Residence:  1870 - Kingston, Ulster, New York
Source:  Census - 1870 United States Federal Census

Joseph Brando
Birth:  abt 1855 - Canada
Residence:  1870 - Burlington, Chittenden, Vermont
Source:  Census - 1870 United States Federal Census

mfjp

Good luck with your research... sounds like you have a tough one!!

:?
Cach

Post by Cach »

Thank you so much!

Definetely sounds like this one:
1880 Census Guiseppe BRANDO -wife Rosa BRANDO-
New York (Manhattan), New York City-Greater, NY <1843> ITALY Self

I just don't know from this info how could I locate his ship, so that from the ship manifest I would know where he was from. The only familiar memories is that he departed from Napoli and he lived not too far from the sea, but that was it, I am just looking for the village where he was fro so that I could go and visit the place.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Here's the census for you to review... Please note boarders, and brother living with them... hopefully they went to Italy after 1892 for a visit... and wishing there is some kind of an Ellis Island manifest for them... If I find anything, I will also post again. I did look up the name "Frezza" mentioned on this census... and the surname is widespread throughout Italy... but you never know... some great clues are found within the manifests...

http://img95.exs.cx/img95/7569/brando9md.jpg
Name:   Guiseppe BRANDO
Estimated birth year:   <1843>
Birthplace:   ITALY
Relationship to head-of-household:   Self
Home in 1880:   New York (Manhattan), New York City-Greater, New York
Marital status:   Married
Race:   White
Spouse's name:   Rosa BRANDO

mfjp
Cach

Post by Cach »

mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

The problem with the Castle Gardens manifests is that they lack detail. Many times it just says they were from "Italy".... I will check Boston Harbor manifests for this other name Frezza and see what comes up...

Maybe you can do an Ellis Island surname search of Brando and Frezza... and maybe by chance you could find a common Italian town for those 2 names... I know this can be time consuming... it's part of the research.

www.ellisisland.org

I don't know who the Frezza boarders were... I am really hoping that they were related or "Paesanos"... Hopefully they sponsored other people from Italy... and am really hoping that their names are mentioned on the manifests...

I have done this myself many times... spent time going through each manifest with a surname of interest... and just when I am ready to give up... bingo.. a clue... !
don't know if Dominick born in 1876-1877 remained in US
I am also hoping that Domenic their son (who like us...) was willing to go visit his ancestral town and if he did, he would have been classified as an American on the manifest.... if his mother Rosa was still alive, she could probably be listed as closest living relative on manifest... but if Domenic was married, his wife would be mentioned..

Do you know the rest of Domenics siblings??

By any chance have you found other census records for this family?

Hang in... and remain hopeful...
mfjp
Cach

Post by Cach »

MFJP; Thanks for your reply, I haven't found any census besides that one that looks like they are them. I know for a fact that Giuseppe arrived in US (most likely he departed from Napoli and arrived in New York) before 1880 and I also know that he departed to South America before 1882 (I think he departed from New York but not sure). Those are the facts that I know, like he was from the south of Italy and was born after 1840 and before 1855 (not much to go on), then I couldn't locate any other record ever besides that possible one in the 1880 New York census.

Information regarding Frangesko Brando (name could be Francesco, Frank , last name could be Brandeau, Brandow, Branda if mispelled),
he most likely lived in USA, he was at the 1880 New York census living in Manhattan, he was born around 1855 in Italy, and there are chances that he settled in Canada later but they are slim, most likely he remained in USA.

I would appreciate any help in finding information regarding
-either ships departing from New York where I could find Giuseppe Brando and/or his son Dominick/Domenico Brando; and or information of civil war, marriage, death, census regarding Frangesko Brando.

I would like to find out more information about Frangesko Brando. According to NY 1880's census was Guiseppe's brother and Frangesko (Francesco or Frank would be the name in italian or english), Francesco was born around 1855 in Italy. If there is any way to know the ship that he arrived in, or where was he at the 1890 census, 1900,1910, etc (census), or if he had descendants (which I would love to get in touch with), or if anywhere it is mentioned which italian city he was from that would help a lot. Thanks a lot!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

HI Cach,

You ask alot of good questions and research is required to answer many of them.

1. I am not aware of any passenger records for ships LEAVING the USA. They were created for entering passengers only.

2. Census research can be done through ancestry.com or genealogy.com or hertiage quest (at home through many libraries). You can get a subscription and research from home for Ancestry or use it for free at many libraries and family history centers. I think Ancestry.com has the best indexes and search capapbilities, but that is my opinion.

There is no 1890 census. It was destroyed in a fire, except for a few fragments. Ancestry.com has created a substitue of sorts, but it won't provide the typical census information and all folks won't be in it.

3. Civil war records are available through NARA. Ancestry.com also has some of the index cards available.

http://www.archives.gov/research_room/r ... links.html

4. Marriage and death records have to be researched according to the state they occured in.

Hope this helps you find a direction to look it.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Here is a site with on-line index for NY records. Perhaps you will find something in it to help.

http://www.italiangen.org/NYCDeath.stm

Debbie
Cach

Post by Cach »

Thank you so much Deb.

I guess that they all moved out of New York since they do not appear in the NY death records. I wonder if I could find any information on line regarding other census: 1900 -1910-1920 (by this time Fragesko was 65 so do not think that any later census makes sense). I found at the 1900 census (but couldn't see all the details because I am not a paying member of Ancestry.com the following (he looks to be the brother of Giuseppe)

Census year 1900 - Head of household-
Frank Branda (could be that when Frangesko Brando got his papers in order they were written that way) - born in italy in 1855 - living at that time in Hudson, New jersey. Do not know if from here I could check the census in more detail some how. Additionaly MFJP was saying that if Dominick went back to Italy, he was going to be listed as "American" regardless if he was listed as american or italian in the manifest, where can I find these manifests of ships leaving America?

Thank you so much.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Here is the 1900 census you referenced:

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/8986/1900nj1fu.jpg

Is this the person you are looking for? Look closely at the page, there are 2 Branda families. One headed by Frank and one by Giuseppe with a son Dominick.

There are no manifests kept of people leaving the US. There are only manifests kept of people arriving in the US because it was an immigration requiement (a law). If he left to return to Italy, you have to hope to find him on a manifest RETURNING to the US.

Debbie
Cach

Post by Cach »

Deb, thanks so much, the more I read regarding Frank Branda the more I think he is the one who was living with his brother: Guiseppe Brando in the 1880 New York Manhattan census (and then in the naturalization papers they must have mispelled Brando for Branda, and he changed Frangesko for Frank).

I read in the census image (1900 Hudson, New jersey) you sent that Frank got naturalized, he bought the house where he was living with his wife Paulina and their Seven living sons (by the way, is there any way to see the next page of the census with the other daughters and sons and is there any way to trace any of them? - also will it be helpful to know the address of the house that I couldn't figure out?).

I hope there is a way to connect with one of his 2 sons (descendants) born in Italy, I am suspicious that Dominick is probably Giuseppe's son and not Frank but would never be sure. I guess that Frank Branda could appear in some other census or death records or is there anything else which will hint me where they were from in Italy?

Thank yo so much
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Sorry, I didn't look that close. Here is the next page of the census:
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/317/1900bnj8rc.jpg
Looks like the address is 532 Adams St.

What do you make of the two Branda families listed? The Giuseppe listed above Frank seems to match the 1880 census mentioned above. Frank is now with his own family, next to Giuseppe.

YOu can do property record research and see when the house was sold. If it was upon a death there could useful information there. YOu can write to the state and order birth records for the children. YOu might be lucky and have a place of birth for the parent listed with the town, instead of just Italy. You can go to the NJ archives in Trenton and search births, marriagees and deaths yourself. Do you live anywhere near Trenton?

NJ State ARchives:
http://www.njarchives.org/links/catalog.html

I have been lucky with some early 1900 birth records that have have towns in England and Italy listed.

Debbie
Cach

Post by Cach »

Deb: I do not have enough words to thank you for your help.

One reason makes me think that it is not the same dominick brando son of Guiseppe Brando, but might be a Dominic Brando son of really Paulina and Frangesko Brando (Frank Branda when they mispelled it) is that in a ship manifest which reach Nov 1880 New York, he was there, and the 1880 census was on July 1880 so he could not appear in the census and hte ship manifest both. Funny thing I am not able to locate a Frank Branda (francesco Brando) in a ship manifest of ships which reach new york from Italy before 1880 (and of course after 1876), I do not know if I could somehow find him in the ship manifest.

A while ago some volunteer told me he found a Domenico Brando, age 4, arriving in NY on 8 November 1880, along with Angelo Brando, age 21 months, in the list before them was Paulina Sica (25) which is most sure her maiden name which in Italy you never change.
In a ship that reached New York 8 November 1880 came Paulina Sica with Domenico Brando (4 years old) and Angelo Brando (almost 2 years old), in the 1900 census Paulina Branda was 45, Dominick Branda 24 and Angelo Branda 21.

If this is the same Paulina (has to be since this Paulina reached with sons Angelo and Dominick in 1880) in this case Dominick and Angelo that were in New Jersey but only with the last name Branda (some mispelling when they were naturalized), with this I realize that yes, [u]Brando was mispelled for Branda later on[/u], but what a coincidence that both brothers called their sons Dominick (possible also, might be the grandfather was domenico there).

Let's supose everything is correct here, how can I find their city of birth in Italy. Is there any on line information regarding the birth of their other daughters/sons in the county of Hudson, New Jersey (or marriage) such us: Mary Branda born in New Jersey in Nov 1884. or Joseph Branda born in March 1991 in New Jersey. I do not know how to continue, I would have loved to get the ship manifest in which Frangesko (Francesco, or Frank) Brando (or Branda, Brandow, Brandeau) reached USA before or during 1880, but nothing is available. Thanks so much for your help!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Cach:
There are no on-line vital records for NJ. Above I gave you the link to the NJ state archives in Trenton. You can go there and research these births, or order records through the state. They are cheaper to go and find yourself, if you live anywhere near Trenton.

Debbie