Pezzo Family - Confused!!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kpalmigiano
Rookie
Rookie

Pezzo Family - Confused!!

Post by kpalmigiano »

I ordered and recently received the death certificate for my great, great grandfather - Carmine Del Pezzo. The certificate lists Anna Ruggiero and Joseph as the parents. I'm sure they were from some place in Naples, but I don't know which part. Carmine was born in 1840 in Italy and died in New York on September 29, 1923. Any suggestions on how to narrow down the search in Naples?

Also I found a few census records that list Carmine's wife as Maria Citra born in Feb 1866 in Italy (Naples region - also not sure where) and traveled to New York with their kids in 1893. They definitely had two kids - Anna and Fannie. Then in the 1915 census, it lists Louise Del Pezzo as Carmine's wife. It says she was born in 1857 and arrived in the US in 1914, but there is no other mention of her. Could it be a sister? Or maybe he was remarried?

Any help with unraveling this mystery - maybe by finding a death record for Maria or marriage record for Carmine and Louise - would be much appreciated!!
kpalmigiano
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Pezzo Family - Confused!!

Post by kpalmigiano »

Also based on the 1900 census Maria and Carmine were married in 1887. Maybe that will trigger something!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Checking on your earlier posts with Suanj and Laura. Didnt they come from Angri,province of Salerno, Campania, Italy.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
kpalmigiano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kpalmigiano »

No that was the Gallo said of the family that had some folks from Angri and others from Torre Annunziata. Suanj and Laura had some good information, but it was mostly about Carmen Pezza's children. They only found one thing on a census about his mother-in-law.

I did take their advance and ordered the death certificate to get Carmine's parent's names, but I can't even find when his wife Maria died, so I can't order one from her.

I was just hoping someone might have a good trick to narrowing down where in Naples they were from. I'm currently going through all the marriage records for 1887 from each commune to see if I can find the marriage record of Carmine Pezza and Maria Citra. Hopefully that will have some information.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Then in the 1915 census, it lists Louise Del Pezzo as Carmine's wife. It says she was born in 1857 and arrived in the US in 1914, but there is no other mention of her. Could it be a sister? Or maybe he was remarried?
Yes, he remarried (possibly his wife's sister), these the marriage dates from the site Italiangen.org:

Dell Pezzo Carmine Oct 23 1913 Kings Certificate number: 10830
Citero Luisa Oct 23 1913 Kings Certificate number: 10830

and possible 1911 arrival manifest for Luisa Citro (Place of birth Salerno - Angri):

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0012

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0012

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Considering that Carmine was widow in the 1920 census these are the possible death dates for his second wife Luisa:

From Italiangen.org:

DelPezzo Luisa 58 y Feb 10 1918 Certificate number :3591 County Kings

Laura
kpalmigiano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kpalmigiano »

Hi Laura,
Thanks for that! If this pans out, it will be quite the discovery since no one in the family (that is still alive) knew he was married twice!

Karen
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Karen,

maybe the family wasn't aware of this fact just because he was married only for 5 years considering that Louise died on 1918?
However I think that them all were coming from Angri...

Laura
kpalmigiano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kpalmigiano »

Hi Laura,

That could be it. The interesting part is that my grandmother (his granddaughter) was born in 1915 and her middle name was Louise. Unfortunately, she is no longer alive, but it would have been interesting to know if she knew she was named after the second wife.

Karen
kpalmigiano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kpalmigiano »

Anyone able to help with a death certificate for Maria DelPezzo? She was born in Italy in February 1866. Her maiden name (I think) was Citro. She came to New York in 1893. She was married to my great-grandfather, Carmine DelPezzo. She appears on a 1905 census, and he remarried in 1913, so she would have had to have died sometime in between those years. I've checked the NYC Death Index records, but I can't come up with anything. I need to see her death certificate so I can check if my great grandfather married her sister. Any help would be VERY appreciated!! Thanks!!
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Karen, what about this record from Italiangen.org?

DeliPezzo Maria
Age 43 y
Death date: Feb 22 1913
Certificate number : 6191
County: Manhattan

Laura
kpalmigiano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kpalmigiano »

Hi Laura,
I actually found that too and ordered it, but when it arrived, I realized that unfortunately it isn't the right one. The last residence doesn't match and it says she was a widow, which she wasn't, and the amount of time she was in the US doesn't match either. Frustrating right?!!? There most be another one for the correct Maria Del Pezzo. There have been lots of different spellings of the last name, so I'm thinking that must be the issue, but after several days of searching, I'm still coming up short.

Thanks for trying!

Karen