One and the Same

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
catshouse2
Rookie
Rookie

One and the Same

Post by catshouse2 »

Does anyone know if in a "One and the Same" court proceeding, the judge can declare a finding of a birth date and parentage based on the documentation presented to him? And if this type of proof of birth would be acceptable for my GF at the Philly consulate?

Thanks!
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Re: One and the Same

Post by Donald66 »

We just submitted a "one and the same" court order to the NY Consulate in April and are waiting for a response.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lisahickey »

what is a "one and the same" court order? would it work for name discrepancies? we had one p in our last name and at some point in the US our GGF switched it to two p's, which is possibly a problem for NYC. i wonder if this would take care of the issue? i've googled but not found anything, so any more information you have about what such a court order is would be so helpful. thank you!
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

My grandfather was born with his last name ending with an "i".

When he got to NYC the last name ended with an "o".

When I was born, my father changed the "o" to an "a".

All this was done without any official/legal changes for name.

We hired a lawyer, went to our local judge and laid out all of our documents.

The judge took a week and reviewed all the documents.

He issued an order stating that the person born in Italy was the person who died in CT.

The person who died in CT is the father of my father & thus my grandfather.

Its a 2 page order with all the stamps & doo-dads attached.

Hopefully the people @ the NY Consulate are satisfied.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lisahickey »

Thanks Donald - did you just hire an immigration lawyer? Where in CT did you do this? I have to do it in Waterbury, so if it's nearby, I'd love the name of your lawyer if you thought they were good. I need to do this for two reasons - a discrepancy in a birth date on the petition for naturalization and the name issue.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

We did this in Greenwich and used a local lawyer.

Use a local (and Italian :D )lawyer that deals extensively with the local probate court.
ktpoloni
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ktpoloni »

How much did going to the court and stuff cost? (if you don't mind me asking). I have no idea how to do any of that stuff, and I have a feeling that I will be needing to before I go to my appt in SF. :(
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

total costs = $900.00