Translation Help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jmtcal

Translation Help

Post by jmtcal »

Please help translate. Tried Google translate but some two letter words don't make sense to me.

ALLORA CARISSIMO JOHN NELLA NS BASILICA NN CI SN DOCUMENTI ARCHIVIATI COME LE DICEVO XKè TUTTO IL MATERIALE è ARCHIVIATO E CONSERVATO NELLA CHIESA MADRE DEL CORPO DI CRISTO DI PAGANI.

Thanks,
John
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Translation Help

Post by PippoM »

So, dearest John, as I told you, in our Basilica there are no documents archived, because all is kept in the Mother Church of Corpus Christi in Pagani.
P.S. by Pippo: I can confirm this, as I am from there, and made some searches in the church of Corpo di Cristo, also called San Felice.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
jmtcal

Post by jmtcal »

Thank you!
jmtcal

Post by jmtcal »

Hi Pippo,

Do you know best way to contact the church of Corpo di Cristo? Do they research and send information?

Thanks,

John
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I had the phone number of a young lady, who was responsible for the archive. I called her and organized my visit. But in reality she just introduced me, and I did not see her again. They gave a me a table in a room near the archive and left me with the registers. I spent there two afternoons and made just a part of my work. Then I left a good offer, and the priest seemed to be very happy. It is a big parish, and they have lots of registers, since 1600, if I remember. So, I don't think they can research info for people. If you have a simple research (I mean, if you know "exact" dates), I can do it for you for free. The one problem is that I live in Roma and, even if my mother still lives there, I always have trouble for finding time to go there. Maybe in September, when I have some free days.
Of course, I know people with the surnames you mention. Who were your Italian ancestors?

jmtcal

Post by jmtcal »

Pippo,

Thank you for the information. Please do not make a trip just for me. Hopefully some day I can plan a trip to Pagani.

I have data for great-grandfather and great-grandmother. Given to me by my grandfather years ago.

Great-Grandfather: Nicola Califano (born June 6, 1875) married Teresa Farina (born October 3, 1879) in Pagani on December 14, 1898.

Paternal Great-great-grandparents: Alfonso Califano and Angiola LaFamina. (Children - Alexandro, Matthew, Melchiorre, Nicola*, Teresa and Sophia*)

Maternal Great-great-grandparents: Marchiore Farina and Carolina Cioffi. (Children - Teresa*, Andrew and Beneventino*)

* emigrated to United States
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Oh, no! It wouldn't be just for you. I meant if I stay there some days to see my mother, and have time for my searches, I might look for some of your records.
I'll ask some old person to see if they knew the family of your GGF; do you know some relative still living in Pagani?

jmtcal

Post by jmtcal »

No I do not know any relatives in Pagani. I joined a Facebook group for St. Alfonso Basillica in Pagani hoping to contact a distant relative. One person responded and she told me about the records being kept in Corpo di Cristo. My grandfather had visited once many years ago but unfortunately being young I did not have a lot of interest in the details.

Regards.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I gather from this conversation that the comune of Pagani is still not answering requests for documents? Just curious.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa