Searching for Biello family from Casacalenda

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gcontinenza

Searching for Biello family from Casacalenda

Post by gcontinenza »

Hello, trying to put together family tree information of the Biellos from Casacalenda, Italy. This is my first attempt at geneology, so I am lost and would be grateful for any resources.

I have this information:
Francesco and Teresa Biello married around 1884 in Casacalenda.
2 children (that I have info of anyhow): Vincenzo and Madalena
Vincenzo Biello married Feliceta Di Blasio who died in 1918, then married Maria Luigia. They had 7? children, but I do not know the breakdown by mother. All 7 born in Italy, all migrated to Canada, and one came to US after Canada in 1959 (MN).

Madalena married Nicole Petrucci, 4 children, possibly born in US. If not, then they all came over and their children were born here. They reside in MN.

If anyone knows anything, dates, resources, etc for the Biellos in Casacalenda, or ancestry for Maria Luigia if I can find her last name, that would be so helpful. Can anyone tell me how to start?
gcontinenza

Re: Searching for Biello family from Casacalenda

Post by gcontinenza »

Maria Luigia was a Vincelli, possibly and only child, came into the marriage a widow with a daughter named Raquel.
Maria Luigia Vincelli was born 6 Jun 1892, died in MN, US on 10 Dec 1978.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Welcome to the Forum!
You already have a great start :D .

Most folks' next step is to start collecting records from the US and Canada.
Usually, you'll want to start with the most current records and work backward to your immigrant ancestors.

One of the best free sites for records is FamilySearch
https://www.familysearch.org/
The members here can help with searches in subscription sites (most of us use ancestry. com)
FamilySearch also has free software you can download to organize your information (called PAF)
https://www.familysearch.org/products

After you have collected your records (ship manifests, naturalization, census, military, vital records, etc), you should have enough information to start your search thru Italian records.
Most Italian records are found at the comune (town) level. Since many Italian given names repeat throughout families it's a good idea to have your names and birth dates researched before you start searching in the comune.

While you are collecting your family information it's also a good idea to talk with family members who can help to confirm what you've found.

Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

On ancestry there is a public family page that includes your family
"GUETSCHOFF" by rguetschoff
Francesco Biello
B: Casacalenda, Campobasso, Italy
D: Italy

Wife
Theresa Ramacieri
B: Casacalenda, Campobasso, Italy
D: Italy

Daughter
Madaline Biello
B: 23 Jan 1883
Casacalenda, Campobasso, Molise, Italy
D: 5 Jun 1964
Ramsey, Minnesota, United States

Son
Vincenzo Biello
B: 03 Jan 1885
Casacalenda, Campobasso,Italy
D: 1969
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

gcontinenza wrote:...
Madalena married Nicole Petrucci, 4 children, possibly born in US. If not, then they all came over and their children were born here. They reside in MN...
Here's Maddalena's 1910 Ship Manifest
She was already married but traveled under her maiden name
- in Italy women keep their maiden names
Maddalena's surname is listed as Di Biello, the 'Di' may be incorrect or may have been dropped by brother Vincenzo?
She left no one in Italy, that usually means her parents had died

1910 Ship Manifest
http://imageshack.us/a/img163/9854/1910b.jpg
next page
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/6306/1910bl.jpg

Ship Name: Konigin Luise
Arrival Date: 21 Dec 1910
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York

line 12
Name: Maddalena Di Biello 278, abt 1883
- married
- last residence Casacalenda, Campobasso (Region Molise)
- leaving no one in Casacalenda
- destination St Paul, MN
- joining her husband Nicola Petrucci in New Salem ND, Box 85 St Paul MN
- born in Casacalenda, Campobasso
gcontinenza

Post by gcontinenza »

Fantastic information! Looks like buying a month at ancestry might be worthwhile after all!
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

The name in Casacalenda is Biello. I will go to the library next week and see what I can find. Just came back from vacation and library not open 'till Tuesday.
gcontinenza

Post by gcontinenza »

Hello essgee, thank you. SO far I have the following:

Vincenzo Biello, b. 3 Jan 1885,d. 1969
first wife Feliceta Di Blasio, died 1918
children are
1. Maria Teresa Biello b. 1912, immigrated to Montreal, Canada (married Vincenzo Ferraro, children Tomaso b. 1931, Carmela b. 1934, Anna Biello - unknown father).
2. Maria Biello, b. 1913, immigrated to Montreal, Canada (married Domenico D'Angelo, children Francesco, Giuseppe, Tina, Vincenzo, Feliceta b. 1934, and Antonio b. 1937)
3. Franceso Biello, b. 1915, d. ~2006 in Montreal. Son name Vincenzo

After Feliceta Di Blasio's death in 1918, Vincenzo remarried.
Maria Luigia Vincelli was a widow with a daughter named Rachela Polisena b. 1912
Children of Vincenzo Biello and Maria Luigia Vincelli are:
4. Giuseppe Biello, b. Apr. 1922, d. 1996 in Montreal. (married Antoinella Ruccolo, children are Vincenzo b. 1947, Franco b. 1952, Rita born in Canada)
5. Maria Feliceta Biello, b. 3 Apr. 1925, d. 14 Dec 2009 in Toronto, Canada. (married to Alberto D'Amico, children Anna b. 1948 and Lily born 1965 in Canada)
6. Maria Michelina Biello, b. Feb 1928 (married Antonio DiPaolo, children, all born in Canada, are Frank, James b. 1965, Gino, and Michael)
7. Italia Biello, b. 12 Aug 1933 (married Eugene Continenza, children, all born in MN, USA, are Mary Louise, b. 1960, James Vincent b. 1962, Joseph John, 1966-1967)
gcontinenza

Post by gcontinenza »

essgee, my grandma says her family was known as Biello della stazione. She wonders if you might know her, Italia Biello Continenza. She says everyone remembers her father. :-)
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Here is the beginning of the family records for your Biello family. I have more to get later this week, but this is a start.

Francesco Saverio Biello, age 23, married Maria Incoronata Ramacieri , age 19, on 8 Oct 1881. He was the son of Marco Vincenzo Biello and his wife, Maria Maddelena D'Onofrio. She was the daughter of Michele Arcangelo Ramacieri and his wife Maria Louisa Palladino.

Maddalena Biello was born on 23 Jan 1883 to
Francesco Biello, age 25 and to his wife
Maria Incoronata Ramacieri.
She married Nicola Maria Petrucci on 15 Mar 1903

Vincenzo Biello was born 3 Jan 1885 to
Francesco Biello, age 27 and to his wife
Maria Incoronata Ramacieri.
He died 30 July 1869 in Casacalenda/

I found no other children for this couple.

Francesco Saverio Biello was born 4 Dec 1857 to
Marco Vincenzo Biello, son of Francesco, age 29 and to his wife
Maddelena D'Onofrio
Stated on birth record he married Maria Incoronata Ramacieri on 8 Oct 1881.

Maria Incoronata Ramacieri was born 27 Apr 1862 to
Michele Ramacieri, son of the late Francesco Ramacieri, age 28, and to his wife Maria Louisa Palladino, age 27.

Michele Arcangelo Ramacieri was born 4 Apr 1833
Francesco Antonio Ramacieri, son of Domenico Ramacieri, age 43 and to his wife
Elizabetta Pietrantonio, age 42.

29 Dec 1838 Death of Francesco Ramacieri, age 47, son of Domenico Ramacieri and Carmina Ferrara husband of Elizabetta Pietrantonio.

14 Aug 1841 Death of Domenico Ramacieri, married to Carmina Ferrara. age 83, son of the late Onofrio Ramacieri and Antonia Schiavone.

Elizabetta Pietrantonio was born around 1792 to
Pasquale Pietrantonio and to his wife
Teresa Vincelli.

Paquale Pietrantonio was born about 1753 and Teresa Vincelli born about 1755.

I will check on more this week. Also, I live in the state of North Carolina. The reference you made to Biello della stazione might be the nick name. From what I have been told, they all had them. If you knew the nick name associated with the person, you could know immmediately which branch of the family they came from.

I have made copies of the records I mentioned. I will get them in a form to send to you a bit later...my daughter is leaving for college tomorrow and I have a million things to check off the list!

Have a great day, Susan
gcontinenza

Post by gcontinenza »

Oh my goodness, Susan, that is fantastic! I am trying to gather some info and docs for a family member's birthday on Friday with the promise of more to come as I gather more. Do you have resources beyond just ancestry.com (ie is it microfilm at the library that you are looking at)?
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Yes...I am looking at the Civil Records on microfilm....the birth, death, and marriage records of the town. These are available at the Family History Library. Go to www.familysearch.org

You can rent them for a fee. I have had them on loan at my branch for years. One or two films are good to start. But I have a lot of films that I rented at a lower price years ago. Today, it would cost a bit more.

Let's see what I can find and then if you want to persue it on your own then you can eliminate some of the films and order only additional ones that you need. The films are in Italian and hard to read sometimes. But you can do it with a translation dictionary and a lot of patience. If I can read them, anyone can!

If you contact me at hrw3 @ att.net (no spaces in between) I will send you copies of some of the doc's so you can print them for the Friday birthday.

Back later with more. Susan