Excited - heard from Accettura Italy!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Excited - heard from Accettura Italy!

Post by bkworm10 »

I also forgot to mention I have our Sarricchio line traced back to the early 1700's in Accettura. If you PM me your email I can send you an invite to my tree on ancestry and you can see what I have.
Annette
Piliero

Post by Piliero »

Laura-
Yes! This is the record of my grandparents arrival! This confirms they were in fact from Acceturra! Thank you thank you!!! So sorry for delay in posting back.

Janie
pink67 wrote:Hi :)

I was wondering if this 1890 arrival manifest could be correct for your ancestors:

from Ancestry.com

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

Name: Vincenzo Piliero
Arrival Date: 17 Nov 1890
Birth Year: abt 1864
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Place of Origin: Italy
Port of Departure: Marseilles, France and Naples, Italy
Destination: New York
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: Neustria
Search Ship Database: Search the Neustria in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

Image here:
http://postimage.org/image/4hbp8dd8r/

Vincenzo was 26 years old, travelling with his wife? Mariantonia age 19 and son Ferdinando age 8 (possibly 8 months)

are these persons your ancestors?

Laura
PJL

Post by PJL »

Hi Annette,

Do you have any Loscalzo's or Labbatte/Labate's in your Accettura tree?

Thanks,
Pete
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

I do but it's very far back - 6G grandmother - Porsia Loscalzo born in the early 1700's. No Labbatte's in my direct line, but possibly in collateral lines. Who are you looking for and where did they settle? I have lots of Accettura records.

Annette
PJL

Post by PJL »

Hi,
All of the following were from Accuttura.

2G Grandparents - Pietro Loscalzo m. Lucia Labbate (parents of Francesco)
Great Grandparents - Francesco Loscalzo (born 1877) m. Vincenza Labbatte (born 1874)
Grandfather - Pietro/Peter Loscalzo (born 1898)

2G Grandparents - Giovanni Labbatte m. Filomenia Pesce (parents of Vincenza)

Francesco, Vincenza & Pietro/Peter came to NY in 1907 - all 3 died in NY as well

Thanks for your help.
Pete
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

Hi, Pete. My husband's family tree ties into a family tree provided by a Labbate cousin in Accettura. The tree includes a Giulia Loscalzo, married to a Vincenzo Sarubbi, son of Francesco Sarubbi, and several Labbates, including a Vincenza, daughter of Giuseppe Labbate and Elena Annunziata Sarubbi. My contact didn't provide dates for them, and I haven't researched them yet, but Vincenzo's Sarubbi's grandfather, Giuseppe Maria Sarubbi, was my husband's 2nd ggrandfather, born in 1826.

If you send me a private message, I'll send the email address of the person in Accettura who sent me this tree. I know she's trying to make a connection with Vincent Marchiselli (the retired funeral home director and politician and a relative) in NY, so if you're in NY, you might be able to help each other. She doesn't speak English, so we email in Italian, with me using Google Translate as a help.

Lesley
PJL

Post by PJL »

PM sent, thanks.
Pete
rlosc20131125

Post by rlosc20131125 »

Hi all
My grandfather Frank Loscalzo was married to Josephine Labbatte(o). Josephine's parents were Rocco and Lucia. All came from Accettura. Frank came to the NY at age 16. My understanding is that Frank was an orphan, that my great grandparents died in an earthquake (Messina 1908). Frank had an older brother Andrew (who he came to live w/in NY in 1911) and sister (who was sent to England after the earthquake), thereafter they lost touch with one another. I'm looking for any information on my ggrandparents, and perhaps my g-aunt in England. Any help would be appreciated. Best. Rob L.
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

Hi, Rob. Do you have a subscription to Ancestry.com? If not, you can access the Ancestry Library Edition at a local public library, LDS Family History Center, and some public university or historical or genealogical society libraries. I did a quick check on Ancestry and found some U.S. records that may be for your grandfather, but you need to study this more closely to be sure these are for the right person. Then, to research your ancestry further, you need to get the original civil records from Italy, which are on microfilm. A few of us who have been researching Accettura records have copies of some records and may be able to help you once you confirm Francesco's birth date and parents' names. I have copies of many Accettura records, but no birth records for the years around your Frank's birth.

So, first:

From a search on Ancestry.com, there is a Frank A. Loscalzo born in Accettura and married to Josephine, living in Queens, NY, who gave his birth date on his WW II draft registration as 12 October 1895. His Social Security Death Index record (extracted on Ancestry, not original) gives the same birth date and a death date in September 1965. Frank's last residence as in Flushing, and the person who filed the final Social Security claim was in NY State.

There are also some passenger list records for a Francesco Loscalzo from Accettura. One is for an arrival of a 17-year-old Franscesco in Philadelphia on June 12, 1912. He gave his closest relative in Accettura as his mother, Filomena Galgano; his final destination at the time as Philadephia, and the person he was staying with as a brother-in-law, Giuliano Damiano. There is another passenger list for a 15 Sept. 1920 arrival in NYC with the same Francesco Loscalzo from Accettura, then a butcher aged 25, mother with same name, headed to a brother Vito Loscalzo in NYC. There is a 1911 passenger list for another Franscesco Loscalzo, looks like age 11, born Accettura, traveling with a mother named Maria Curzio from Oliveto Lucana and two other children (daughter and nephew), but these would seem to be a different family.

One way to get Frank's parents' names is to order Frank's original Social Security application, which you can do through a link from the SSDI extract on Ancestry.com. You can also write to the Ufficio Anagraphe for the town of Accettura to request an extract of the births for Frank (with birth date), Andrew, and a sister (or any other siblings). The town official who handles this for Accettura has been exceptionally responsive by email sent to sindaco@comune.accettura.mt.it, but you should write in Italian. If you send me your email address by private message, I can send you a sample letter. I also saved copies of some of these documents if you want them. (There are census records also on Ancestry and FamilySearch. I do not see a naturalization record or record index on Ancestry, but that should be available with further research.)

This is not the only Frank Loscalzo from Accettura in the area, so one has to be diligent in researching. There is a WW II draft registration for another Frank born in 1896 and living in Camden, NJ.

These are some ways to get started fairly quickly, but what you will really need to do to research your family history in Accettura is to get copies of the original birth record (atti di nascita) for Francesco, which will have his parents' names. You can then work backwards to get their marriage record and forward to find Francesco's siblings' birth records, and so forth. Getting the extracted family information from Accettura will help you narrow down the years for which you need the original records, which are not yet online, but on microfilm, which you can order through FamilySearch.org and view at your local Family History Center.

Also, if you wish to pursue a discussion about your family on this forum, you might want to start a new discussion thread on Loscalzos from Accettura.

Happy hunting!
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

Rob, I looked through images of the 1886-95 Indice Decennale for Accettura Births (from FHL Film #1660159) that I have saved on my computer and found several Francesco Loscalzos born in years preceding 1895, one of whom may be your grandfather. These 10-year compilations from the annual birth indexes list only the infant’s name, birth year, and record number, so you need the actual record to get more details, including the parents’ names. No birth for a Francesco Loscalzo is listed in 1895, but it is not uncommon for birth dates in U.S. records to differ from the true birth dates recorded based on eye-witness testimony in records from the birth town. Unfortunately, there is no Indice Decennale extant (or at least, microfilmed at this point) for 1896-1905, as there is for some other towns in Matera province, so if you need to explore births in those years, you must search year by year or seek help from the comune.

These are the births of Francesco Loscalzos I found listed for 1886-95:

Name Birth Year Record Number

Francesco 1876 95
Francescantonio 1879 55
Francesco Maria 1879 106
Francescantonio 1882 164
Francescantonio 1883 77 (or possibly 74—handwriting unclear)
Francescantonio 1884 109 (or possibly 119)

It is likely that some if not all of these infants are closely related (e.g., cousins). Some could be children who died in infancy and the parents gave a subsequent male child the same name. If you find the same parents’ names on original records for the Francescantonios born in adjacent years, for example, I would recommend searching the death records for those years. I may have the Indici Decennali for deaths if you need help with that.

I did a quick search for Andrew under the name Andrea and did not see any, but there is at least one Vitandrea (Vito Andrea), which could be Andrew’s birth name before he Anglicized his name to assimilate. Note that one of the passenger lists for a Francesco has him headed to a brother named Vito rather than Andrea.

With the information above, you can request copies of records from Accettura (but some I’ve received have had part of the image cut off), order the corresponding microfilms to be sent to your local Family History Center for study, or request them via the Photoduplication Services of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. The link for this is here: https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... n_Services. FHL policy now limits the number of records you can request this way to five per week.

You also need to provide the provincial FHL Film number, which you can find in the catalogue listing for Matera BMD records here: https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library. Each film has records from multiple towns in Matera province, usually in alpha order on the film, so look by record type (Nati = Births), then year, then the film with Accettura.

This is only a start, but I hope it is helpful.

Lesley
mbakeroo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mbakeroo »

Happy New Year to all. I am looking for birth information on my g-grandmother Maria Sansone born in September 1867 in Accettura. I do not have parents names but know she married Salvatore Fanelli about 1885 either in Accettura or Laurenzana. They then immigrated to New York in 1886. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

Hi, mbakeroo. You wrote:
I am looking for birth information on my g-grandmother Maria Sansone born in September 1867 in Accettura. I do not have parents names but know she married Salvatore Fanelli about 1885 either in Accettura or Laurenzana. They then immigrated to New York in 1886. Any help would be appreciated.
I do not have copies of the original records you need, but I checked a spreadsheet I received from a colleague who created it to index details from Accettura records she has reviewed, and I found an entry for your ggrandparents' marriage in that town. My colleague extracted the following information:

Groom: Salvatore Fanelli, age 22 (i.e., born abt. 1863), son of Rocco E. Fanelli and Carmela Romano (I don't know what "E" stands for in my colleague's notations--could be Egidio, Ettore, Eduardo, etc.)

Bride: Maria Sansone, age 22 (i.e., born abt. 1863), daughter of Roccantonio Sansone and Maria T. Brandi (I think my friend uses T for Teresa.)

Marriage date: 25 Oct. 1885
Record 36, 1885

Although she has a spreadsheet page for births, 1863 is not included, and I don't have images from that year.

You have a few options for obtaining the original birth and marriage records. The best option in my opinion is to rent one or both microfilms that contain the Accettura marriage processetti for 1885. Unfortunately, the year appears to be split between two microfilms, and there is no way to know which film has record #36. The two films are:

FHL Film #1693399, Processetti 1863-1885
FHL Film #1693400, Processetti 1885-1899 -- Atti diversi 1822-1865, 1868, 1893, 1895

The processetto should include the bride and groom's birth records as well as the atto di solenne promesso, notificazione, and death records of parents if deceased before the marriage (and sometimes paternal grandfather as well). I will also contact another colleague who has been researching Accettura processetti to alert her to your post and see if by any chance she has photos of the one you need or knows whether record #36 is on the first or second film. One of us will get back to you on this.

To order the microfilm(s), go to https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library and click on the film number. You need to create an account (free) and decide where you want the film rental to be delivered--i.e., to which Family History Center. You can search for the closest FHC to you at http://www.familysearch.org. You might want to check in advance to be sure that the FHC has the proper equipment to read the thin microfilms (you need a reader with a high-magnification lens) and to find out their hours. Once you get the film, you'll need to search for the record (near the end of the first film or beginning of the second--hopefully, the records are in order), and my recommendation is to either save the images to a flash drive (ask the FHC volunteers for help) or use a digital camera or the camera on your mobile phone without a flash to photograph the records on the viewer. This is what I do, because I am researching so many families, and I do it on a viewer with a vertical screen, not a slanted surface where the image is distorted and there's a risk of shadows.

Another option is to use the photo-duplication services of the Family History Library to request a copy of the processetto using the information provided above (you'll have to give them both film numbers and say that the record is on one of those). I don't know if they will send a copy of the entire processetto, but you can ask. You can also request the Atto di Matrimonio, which would be record #36 in the 1885 marriages from Accettura on the provincial Matera films, but this will not give you Maria's birth record. The film is 1692640, Matrimoni 1882 Miglionico - Tursi Matrimoni 1883-1885 Accettura - Tursi and you can find the catalogue list here: https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library. Here is the place to request photo-duplication services: https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... n_Services.

Alternatively, you can send an email request in Italian to the civil records office in Accettura. I have found the official there to be quite responsive, although I haven't written to him for about a year. He will send you extracts (estratti) from the records, but you will want to see copies of the originals, and in my experience, you must ask specifically for those, and he seems to prefer to mail photocopies. He has not charged me anything for this service. The email address is sindaco@comune.accettura.mt.it. If you need help with the Italian, you can find sample letters at http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html, and Google Translate is helpful.

I'll see if I have any additional record information on Salvatore and Maria's parents. I see that you already have a family tree on Ancestry and have been researching U.S. records.

The 19th-century civil records from Matera province will eventually be put online on FamilySearch and Ancestry, but they appear to be low on the project list for digitization. However, there are record images from after 1900 that can be browsed (but not searched) online at FamilySearch. From the home page, click on "search" and then "Continental Europe" at the bottom of the screen, "Italy," then "Italy, Matera," and then "Accettura." Records from Laurenzana beginning with 1866 are browsable on Ancestry if you go to the Italian record collections and look in the list for Potenza civil records.

Good luck. If we can be of further help, let us know. And happy new year!

Lesley
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

I've found entries in my colleague's spreadsheet for the 1858 marriage of your 2nd ggrandparents (Sansone and Brandi), marriages of several probable siblings of your ggrandmother Maria Sansone, and some other births and deaths with these surnames that are probably related. It would be easiest to relay these to you by email. If you send me a private message with your email address, I can do that.

Lesley
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

Maria, thanks to a colleague, I have your ggrandmother Maria Sansone's birth record for you. She was born in 1862. I can email it to you when you provide your email address in a private message to me.

Lesley
mbakeroo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mbakeroo »

Lesley,

PM Sent. THANK YOU!!!!