Migliarina family in Baveno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
KSRattazzi
Rookie
Rookie

Migliarina family in Baveno

Post by KSRattazzi »

Got a great surprise yesterday... My long awaited birth certificate from Baveno for my great-grandmother, Maria Isabella Migliarina. She was born in Baveno in 1873 to Battiste Migliarina and Fiora Ferrario.

I have two questions... In the states, her name was Elisa. Is Elisa a nickname for Isabella?

Secondly, shall I just continue on with the civil in Baveno for more records? How far do they go back?

Also, FYI, I sent US dollars with these requests to Baveno and always get a reply. To Oleggio-Castello I sent an addressed envelop and have received nothing yet...

THANKS!!!!!!
Jamie Oswald
oswald.genealogy@gmail.com
Researching surnames Rattazzi, Migliarina and Ferrario in the Novara province of Piedmont.
Michael31
Master
Master

Re: Migliarina family in Baveno

Post by Michael31 »

Elisa, Elisabetta
KSRattazzi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KSRattazzi »

That's what I was thinking... The dates match up though. Isabella and my great-grandfather were married almost a year before my grandfather was born. The only other possibility, I suppose, is that Isabella died while Carlo (her husband) came to the states and her sister assumed matriarchal duties of the family? Semms a bit of a stretch but a possibility. When she died in the states her name is Elisa and her birthdate is the same year.
Jamie Oswald
oswald.genealogy@gmail.com
Researching surnames Rattazzi, Migliarina and Ferrario in the Novara province of Piedmont.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

It is not unusual that people totally changed their names when going to the USA. They often took names that just "sounded" like the original ones. And the same keep doing immigrates coming to Italy...the difference is that nowadays there are more formal checks.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.