Looking for Michele Vigorito's passenger record

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jguizio

Looking for Michele Vigorito's passenger record

Post by jguizio »

I have been trying for over a year to find out more about my paternal grandmother's side of the family, known to me as the Vigorito's. On the 1920 census they are Michael and Teressa Vegretta. As far as I know they spent most of their lives in America in Paterson New Jersey, but both were born in Italy. On my grandmother's baptism record her mother is listed as Teresa Palazzi. I have also heard from a family member that her maiden name was Polit, which to me was probably a botched polito, epolito or some variation. Mostly though I'm interested in finding where michael (michele) vigorito was from. Immigration year on the census say 1885 and 1895 in parenthesis. I know there are some sleuthes on here and if anyone can help I would be so appreciative.
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... en&indiv=1
vj
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Michele Vigorito's passenger record

Post by vj »

doesn't help, but a bit more information
- may have been married abt 1892-1894 in Bergen County
- born in NY?? (1910 census states IT)

1900 census
http://imageshack.us/a/img27/4632/1900ye.jpg

Home in 1900:
Saddle River, Bergen, New Jersey

head Michael Vigory 26, born Jan 1874 IT
- married 7 yrs, abt 1893
- immig 1890
- silk dyer
- owns house with mortgage
wife Tressa Vigory 22, born Dec 1877 NY
- 2 children
- parents born in Italy
daughter Mary Vigory 4, born Aug 1895 NJ
daughter Dina Vigory 3, born Mar 1897 NJ
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

possible Manifest

there's not much information on early ship manifests
on the 1910 census Michele is 44 yrs old, born abt 1866
he's a naturalized citizen on both 1900 and 1910 census records

here's a possible 1885 maniest
http://imageshack.us/a/img211/9792/1885t.jpg

15 May 1885, SS Teutonia
Naples to NY

line 51
(transcribed as: Moul Vigonta)
Vigorita(o) Mchl 23, abt 1862
- merchant
---

Have you tried tracking down Michele Vigorito's naturalization paperwork?
It might help, although records before 1906 don't contain a lot of detail
jguizio

Post by jguizio »

Wow! I knew you guys were good but not that fast...
I really think that is them on the census report vj! I have also seen a manifest from the Teutonia somewhere that I thought might be him...
Where should I go from here? I have never tried to find the naturalization records...
jguizio

Post by jguizio »

How do I see the 1910 census?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I'd start with Bergen County since it was probably before 1906

Bergen County naturalization record search:
http://www.co.bergen.nj.us/countyclerk/ ... cords.html
---

1910 census
http://imageshack.us/a/img688/9766/1910f.jpg

Home in 1910:
Dundee Lake
Saddle River, Bergen, New Jersey

Michael Vegueta 44 Thersa Vegueta 32 Mary Vegueta 15 Dina Vegueta 13 Lillie Vegueta 9 Rosie Vegueta 7 Frances Vegueta 4 Frank Vegueta 3/12
jguizio

Post by jguizio »

Thank you so much!! I now know that my quest for citizenship through the Vigorito side was for naught. My grandmother was Bertha born in 1914, however I am so happy and moved to see this record of their family in black and white and I hope to eventually find out where Michael and Teresa were born. I am pursuing citizenship through my paternal side. If you care to give your manifest work a go:
My great-great grandfather was Carmine Giuzio married to Santa Gerardi in approx 1882 in Avigliano, Potenza. Carmine was born in what was known as Pietrafesa, now called Satriano di Lucania in around 1854. Santa was born in Avigliano btw 1865-69. They came to NY in 1885 and eventually settled in Garfield NJ. I have never found a ship manifest for either of them. I have written to both Satriano di Lucania and Avigliano for birth and marriage records but haven't heard anything back. I am currently in Italy for several months and I plan on visiting both comunes to obtain the records. I would love to know anything and everything I can about them. Everything I know is through finding records of Carmine's brothers, his nephews visits on manifests, and one birth record of a child Carmine and Santa had in Avigliano in 1884, Anna Maria Giuzio.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Carmine Giuzio
jguizio wrote:...If you care to give your manifest work a go:
My great-great grandfather was Carmine Giuzio married to Santa Gerardi in approx 1882 in Avigliano, Potenza. Carmine was born in what was known as Pietrafesa, now called Satriano di Lucania in around 1854. Santa was born in Avigliano btw 1865-69. They came to NY in 1885 and eventually settled in Garfield NJ. I have never found a ship manifest for either of them. I have written to both Satriano di Lucania and Avigliano for birth and marriage records but haven't heard anything back. I am currently in Italy for several months and I plan on visiting both comunes to obtain the records. I would love to know anything and everything I can about them. Everything I know is through finding records of Carmine's brothers, his nephews visits on manifests, and one birth record of a child Carmine and Santa had in Avigliano in 1884, Anna Maria Giuzio.
Probable 1886 manifest
there appears to be a 'last residence', but I can't decipher it...

http://imageshack.us/a/img824/4561/1886y.jpg

Name: Carmine Ginzio Arrival Date: 12 Mar 1886 Birth Year: abt 1856 Age: 30 Gender: Female Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian Place of Origin: Italy;Mantesan, Italy Port of Departure: Marseilles, France and Naples, Italy Destination: New York Port of Arrival: New York Port Arrival State: New York Port Arrival Country: United States Ship Name: Alesia

lines 46-48 (top of page)
Carmine Ginzio (Giuzio) 30, abt 1856
Sawker (Santa) Gerarda 22, abt 1864
edit: added
figlia (daughter) Anna 11 mos, abt 1885
jguizio

Post by jguizio »

!!!!Oh my gosh!!! Thank you so much!!! That is them for sure,under Santa it says daughter Anna and she was 11 months old!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I'm so sorry that I missed Anna !
I fixed the post.
Can you figure out the last residence?
The previous page included someone from the same location
Valarie

edit: added

another passenger from same location?
1886 manifest previous page
http://imageshack.us/a/img18/5108/1886b.jpg
transciption from ancestry

Name: Augta Desvend Arrival Date: 12 Mar 1886 Birth Year: abt 1864 Age: 22 Gender: Female Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian Place of Origin: Italy;Mentesan, Italy Port of Departure: Marseilles, France and Naples, Italy Destination: New York Port of Arrival: New York Port Arrival State: New York Port Arrival Country: United States Ship Name: Alesia

line 45 (last line)
(?) Augusta D Guerra (?) 22, abt 1864
- female
jguizio

Post by jguizio »

I really can't make it out either. I would think it's Monte-something. I looked through the communes and frazione of Potenza and there were a few possible matches but who knows. After seeing how they butchered the names of the people I wouldn't be surprised if it said they were from Hollywood. I know that they lived in Avigliano in December of 1884 because of Anna's birth record. Seems weird they would move to another town and then to the US within a year...
BIGVIG

Post by BIGVIG »

Hello,
My Name Is Anthony Vigorito, My Family Is Originally From Serino Italy, In 1905 My Great Grandfather Sabato And Grandmother Aurelia Came Through Ellis Island And Settled In Paterson, NJ. From What I Understand From My Family Search's Most Vigorito's Came From Serino Which Is A Province Of Avealino Italy. I Hope This Will Help You! :-)
Anthony Vigorito