Digitalized Civil Records for Province of Bari, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Digitalized Civil Records for Province of Bari, Italy

Post by rp76226 »

Almost 3 million of these digitialized civil records are available (released September 25, 2012) on the Mormon website, but the images are only visible if you go to a Mormon Family Center and use their computer. The images won't show on your home computer. Ancestry.com does not have them. Does anyone know any other sites that have these digitalized records for the comunes of Bari, Italy, and are available for viewing on one's own home computer?
rp76226
Master
Master

Re: Digitalized Civil Records for Province of Bari, Italy

Post by rp76226 »

Here's the Mormon link to those records, but as I said previously, it won't show the images on your home computer. It will show the comunes, types of records, and years available.

https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D1968511
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I think the Italian Gvmt stepped after the Mormons started putting them on line and made them stop. The original agreement did not include on line records.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Maybe, but there are a lot of other Italian towns and provinces available on line by the Mormons. Some were updated on the the same day as Bari.
nicolefazio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nicolefazio »

Has anyone tried going to a family history center to see if these records are available. I am going on Tuesday and If I have luck I will let everyone know. I am very happy they put Bari records online... I have gone through many microfilms and this seems much easier.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

No. They tend to have antiquated equipment and dial up telephone internet which is extremely slow. When you need to look through hundreds of documents using a computer to find your family, it doesn't work out well.
ddevirgilio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ddevirgilio »

I have good news to share. On the 28th, they updated a section entitled "Italy, Bari, Trani, Civil Registration (Tribunale), 1866-1910". However, the title is misleading. There's more than just Trani. If you click to browse the records, you are able to see some records for these comuni in the province of Bari:

Andria
Barletta
Bisceglie
Canosa di Puglia
Corato
Minervino Murge
Molfetta
Ruvo di Puglia
Spinazzola
Terlizzi
Trani

They are far from complete, but I am ecstatic that I can now view at least some records from the Molfetta.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Glad for you. My towns of Altamura and Grumo Appula are not among them.
nicolefazio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nicolefazio »

rp76226 wrote:Glad for you. My towns of Altamura and Grumo Appula are not among them.
How do you know? Did you go to a family history center and find out?
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

That will be my next step. It's just much easier and faster to do this type of research at home since it involves individually reviewing thousands of documents to fine the needle in the haystack. Doubly true when those centers lack high speed internet connections which many do.