Murazzo family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gianfrancopiero

Murazzo family

Post by gianfrancopiero »

I was born in Peru but i know my grandfather used to live in a city
in southern peru (Tarapaca, which now belongs to Chile) where there
were italian inmmigrants early XX. My family is the only one in my
country with that last name (nowadays i have close cousins living
in USA) and we don't have information about our background, what do
you suggest for me to do to find more information. I just found in
the ellis records, people whose last name is Murazzo came mainly
from Campobasso province.
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Murazzo family

Post by pink67 »

Hi Gianfrancopiero,

you're correct, using this italian site you can also see that lastname Murazzo (pretty rare) is mainly present in the Campobasso province especially in Palata town:

http://italia.indettaglio.it/ita/cognomi/cognomi.html

Have you checked the free site Familysearch.org ? there are some dabatases for Peru, maybe if you'll be able to find some civil registrations you may find the correct place of origin of your ancestors... Who was the first of them who emigrated to Peru?

https://familysearch.org/search/collect ... Id=1927168

Laura
gianfrancopiero

Hi, i used the links you sent and they were very helpful. I also did some research and found that according to some papers, my great-grandfather was born in 1872 probably in Lima and he died in Iquique in 1910, and his father's name was Azer Murazzo (probably the one that originally came from Italy). I tried to contact the people on the white pages whose last name is Murazzo on facebook but none of them has answered. So I'm calculating that Azer Murazzo was born before 1854. Are there any kind of records from that date? where should i find it?

That's the furthest i've gotten, any suggestions? I think i will be able to be in italy for 3-4 days in february, i think i could do some research too there, I checked that most "Murazzo" are from Palata, Campobasso.

Thanks for your attention
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

You're welcome :D
I would advice you to go to your nearest Family History Center:

https://www.familysearch.org/locations

and ask them to rent some Microfilms, they have the birth registrations of the period you're interested in...

https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... m%2F327530

I think it will be a pretty easy research because Palata is a little town, today it has only 1800 inhabitants... You might be able to find Murazzo's civil registrations..
and his father's name was Azer Murazzo
Azer is not an italian first name, are you sure about the spelling? Do you have the image of the act where this name was recorded?

Laura
gianfrancopiero

Well I took that information from the death certificate that a friend sent to my father from Iquique some years ago, actually the one i just got is a barely-readable photocopy of the photocopy, where i cant really read the name, however there is this other transcription paper where it says Azer but I could doubt of the spelling because they even make a mistake in the last name "Murrazo". there is also something courious because it says my great-grandfather Octavio Murazzo Tapia was italian but i doubt it because italians used to have only one last name and also because in the birth certificate of my grandfather he says he's "natural" of Lima. So maybe he got the nationality from his father?
gianfrancopiero

hi, after months looking for information, i got the death certificate of my gg father...it says his father's name was JOSE MURAZZO which i guess it's the spanish translation for GIUSEPPE (according to dates he was born before 1855, can anyone guide me about how to continue my research?..thanks