FRANCO CORBO

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Terry123

FRANCO CORBO

Post by Terry123 »

FRANCO CORBO was a prisoner of war in England in 1945 can any one tell me anymore about this man please was he a soldier or sailor or anything else about him :|
yours truly Terry
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Re: FRANCO CORBO

Post by Paolo47 »

FRANCO CORBO was a prisoner of war in England in 1945
Terry,
Maybe your Franco, but died before 1945??

Nome: FRANCESCO P.
Cognome: CORBO
Data di Nascita: 11/4/1914
Luogo di Nascita: FONDI
Luogo Sepoltura: ALTENGRABOW - "STANDORTFRIEDHOF"
Data Decesso: 27/3/1944

Born April 11,1914 in Fondi, Latina, Lazio
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/059/007/

I googled Altengrabow and it is/was a Pow camp.
"STANDORTFRIEDHOF" translated to Cemetery Location.

Possible sibling..
Nome: DOMENICO
Cognome: CORBO
Data di Nascita: 1/1/1920
Luogo di Nascita: FONDI
Luogo Sepoltura: Sconosciuto (unknown)
Data Decesso: 21/1/1941

Hope this helps,
Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
Terry123

Post by Terry123 »

Thanks for your reply but the dates do not tally I will keep trying
Terry
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi there
You may find the following extract helpful. I copied and pasted it from one of the Forums here on IG a few months ago:

“...At the end of the war British Authorities sent all documents concerning Italian Pows to the International Red Cross in Geneva. All records sent to Italy were dispersed throughtout the various military districts. The IRC is then the only organisation able to give details on where a POW was kept. To do so you need to know at least the name of the person as there were some hundred thousand Italian Pows in British hands...”

I did email the Red Cross at the time (GVA_Tracing_Archives <tracing.archives@icrc.org) and they replied promptly asking me to fill in the following on-line form at http://www.icrc.org/eng/contact-archives. At that time they said it would take on average 12 months to complete the research. Things may have changed since?

If you have any more details about Franco Corbo like his date and place of birth then I am sure one of these gifted people here may provide you with the appropriate letter to write, to the relevant authority and town in Italy.

Best of luck to you. Angela
Terry123

Post by Terry123 »

Thanks Angela I have filled in the online form and submited it thanks for your help I will keep my fingers crossed
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Terry123 wrote:Thanks Angela I have filled in the online form and submited it thanks for your help I will keep my fingers crossed
You’re most welcome.

I’ve looked up the Italian white pages – you may have already done this – there are six Franco Corbo’s listed there. One just may be related to your Franco Corbo. You may like to either phone them or write them a letter to enquire. The appropriate letter to write, which is in Italian, is often posted here on IG. I’ll look for it later and post it here (or someone else who knows exactly the letter I mean might do this for me - please).

The link to the relevant white pages:

http://www.paginebianche.it/ricerca?l=e ... +corbo&dv=

There are some really interesting and very encouraging posts about POWs in UK here on IG. If you haven’t already read them they are well worth the read.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I did a search yesterday and this sounds like your Franco Corbo – you may have even written it yourself? If you didn’t then there is someone else looking for info on Franco and by now may have more info. It was written in some sort of guest book in Abruzzo? in 2005. (Not sure about that part). If it wasn’t you who wrote it let me know and I’ll navigate myself back to the link and send it for you to follow up on. I copied and pasted it, here’s what it said:

“I am researching about Italian prisoners of war in England in 1945 in the Staffordshire area particulaly the Walsall area Franco Corbo was the name of one of them is there any one out there with any information.”

So Walsall in Staffordshire is an area where you could be making enquiries. Most of these towns seem to have historic societies which just may have a section on WW2 POWs. Abruzzo might be the place where he originated???

I guess you probably know that a lot of the Italian POWs were employed locally often on farms so that would be another avenue to look into if you haven't already done so.

All the best to you. Angela
Terry123

Post by Terry123 »

Thanks Angela yes that was was myself I did try a search back in 2005 with no luck thought I would try again after finding this site