surname CAPAZZOLI, MONTAPERTO, CAPPASOLA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Runningirl4

surname CAPAZZOLI, MONTAPERTO, CAPPASOLA

Post by Runningirl4 »

Hello!
I'm having some trouble finding info about my family before they came to the US from Italy. Maybe someone can direct me in the right direction?My great grandfather is Antonio Cappasola b. 1905 in New York, married to Irma Montaperto. He has brothers Peter and Albert. His father is Antonio Capazzoli (somewhere along the way the name was changed to CAPPASOLA from either Cappazzoli, Capazzali, Coppazzoli or Capazzoli) He was born in Italy approx 1880 married to Luisa la Vecchia (b. abt 1883) in New York in 1902. I can't seem to find their immigration records, despite looking endlessly on ellisisland.org. He most likely came around 1893 and her 1895 (this is all from a census record I found)
One marriage record states that her parents are Pietro and Rosa Croce and his parents are Silvestro and Carmela G...but i haven't found anyone with this information.

I have a lot of details up to this point, but any father i have nothing. does anyone have any advice on how to go farther and possibly locate the family in italy? They are possibly from Benevenuto.

Thanks so much!
Carlie
vj
Master
Master

Re: surname CAPAZZOLI, MONTAPERTO, CAPPASOLA

Post by vj »

Carlie,
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Since there may be clues in US records,
have you seen all of these?
Valarie

Marriage record (for reference)
Lavecchia Luisa Apr 10 1902 7575 Manhattan
Capozzali Antonio Apr 10 1902 Manhattan 7575

1910 census
1920 census
Note: really hard to read, appears to be the
correct address - 897 Tompkins Ave

1930 census
Note: indicates Antonio was naturalized

1942 WWII Draft Registration Card
page 2
Note: province may be Salerno
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

A few more clues:

Towns in Salerno, Campagna with names similar to Capazzoli
# of current residents, town, province, name
116.96 Albanella Salerno Capozzoli
69.60 Aquara Salerno Capozzoli
59.57 Bellosguardo Salerno Capozzolo
39.72 Capaccio Salerno Capozzoli
34.65 Battipaglia Salerno Capozzolo
34.32 Salerno Salerno Capozzolo
30.48 Castel San Lorenzo Salerno Capozzolo
28.50 Teggiano Salerno Capozzoli
26.84 Corleto Monforte Salerno Capozzolo
24.70 Monteforte Cilento Salerno Capozzoli
22.88 Salerno Salerno Capozzoli
& more including
2.86 Salerno Salerno Capazzolo
from this site
Runningirl4

Post by Runningirl4 »

WOW! This is amazing! THANKS! I have looked quite a bit for other census records. I only found the 1910 record. May i ask how you found the others? I think I was having trouble because of the name changes. And I didn't think to look up the military record.

Yes, it's possible that he was from salerno. this new info will keep me busy for a little bit. Hopefully, I'll soon be able to track them down in Italy.

THANK YOU!
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Carlie, I'm so glad we could help :D .
Finding the census took a bit of digging,
but the information you gave us was
excellent. With Antonio's approx birth date
it was possible to find his WWII card &
address. Using the address in Rosebank from
his WWII card, the search for census records
was done by looking for the family's first names
(w/o last name) & approx birth years in Richmond
county on ancestry.com.
Antonio's WWI Card is also on ancestry, but the image
wouldn't come up...
Thank you for updating us!
Valarie

edit: added
Image links working again to WWI on ancestry.com
1918 WWI Card
note: declarant, appears to have
started his naturalization process
mcapozzoli

Post by mcapozzoli »

Carlie,
These names look familiar to me. I would say Bellosguardo is the hometown.
I can help, as I have access to all the records there.
Send me an email so we can corespond.
mcapozzoli9281@wowway.com

Thanks.
Michael Capozzoli
floridamom

Post by floridamom »

Carlie,
Are you still around? I found this site while looking for something else, and came across your post. I'm Albert's granddaughter. He had 3 daughters. My mother was the oldest, and she passed away in 2008. Her 2 sisters are still alive.

We always heard about Uncle Tony, your great-grandfather, but no one would say what happened or why there was no contact with the family. They were a very tight-lipped family. Back in the 1980's some of his relatives found my mother and grandmother (Albert's wife), also by a fluke when they were visiting the city where we live. By then, my grandfather had already died. No one remembered what caused the family split. I believe my mother kept in contact for a short while, and even visited them in South Florida once or twice. I don't know why she lost contact with them.

There was also a sister - Margaret. Margaret had no children. Peter had a daughter by his first wife, but no one in the family knows what happened to her. Apparently there was a divorce, which would have been scandalous at that time. He had no children by his second wife (and the only one I ever knew), Alma.

I have records I received when Aunt Margaret died. They include the immigration papers for the LaVeccia family, and the marriage license for Antonio and Louisa. Some things are difficult to read as they've faded over the years. Cappasola is spelled a number of different ways, even by Antonio himself! We still never figured out the true original spelling.

If you're still reading, and are interested in exchanging information, let me know.
Kathy
floridamom

Post by floridamom »

vj wrote:Carlie,
appears to be the
correct address - 897 Tompkins Ave[/i]
Yes! That's the correct address. My mother (Albert's daughter) was born in that house. Antonio and Louisa ran a gas station in front. I have photos of it when it was intact, as well as demolition photos. It was torn down for the Verrazno Narrows Bridge.