Jure Sanguinis Application

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
allisonblair

Jure Sanguinis Application

Post by allisonblair »

Hello,

I am planning to apply for citizenship through Jure Sanguinis.

I have contacted someone in the town in which my great-grandparents immigrated from and they are sending me certified copies of their birth certificates and marriage license. I will then be obtaining all of the other certificates (birth & marriage) state-side.

My question is this: Is it enough to have these documents and the completed application? Is it necessary to hire someone to direct me through this process. I will be using the consulate in Los Angeles. Should I make an appointment before I have all of the documents.

I am planning to move overseas next summer sometime and would like this to all be taken care of by then. I've seen that the waiting can be extensive.

Also, I've seen that a lot of the wait deals directly with the commune in which your application is processed through in Italy. Are the documents processed in the commune from which your ancestors came from?

One last question: I do not believe that my great-grandfather was naturalized in the US. Do I need an official document that states this?

Thanks for your help!!

Allison
droe
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Jure Sanguinis Application

Post by droe »

I would suggest you go to the web site of the Consulate you will be applying at and read through the section on Jure Sanguinis.

You do not need to hire anyone except say for the translation of all documents gathered outside of Italy.

The wait times can be long to obtain an appointment. To get a better understanding of the entire process you might want to hop over to:

http://italiancitizenship.freeforums.org/index.php

You will find a wealth of information on the process and specific information on the Consulate you will be using.

As to the process the Consulate handles all the processing that will determine being recognized. Once that is complete they forward everything to the comune to be registered. Once that registration is complete everything is set.

Processing times vary and then if there are any items on name differences or other items they might want corrected.

As to the your GGF you will need to prove that he did not naturalize and yes you will need official documents. I would start with the search for any naturalization papers on the GGF which if found will determine if your line was broken or not to be recognized.

Good luck. It can be a trying process but well worth the effort.

-d
Xaymara
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Xaymara »

I will be using the consulate in Los Angeles. Should I make an appointment before I have all of the documents.
I called on May 2011 to schedule an appointment before having most of my documents. My appointment date was September 2011. I was able to have it all ready in 3 months mostly because I had no discrepancies. If it were me, I'd call Abtran today for an appointment.
I am planning to move overseas next summer sometime and would like this to all be taken care of by then. I've seen that the waiting can be extensive.
My recognition letter came in March 2012. That's six months after my appointment. Things are moving along faster since the consulate hired an assistant to Raffaella.
Are the documents processed in the commune from which your ancestors came from?
Yes, your docs will be registered at your ancestral commune.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

Just want to chime in to add a couple more things. First, the comune in Italy doesn't process your application, the consulate does. The comune must register your documents, but the consulate makes the final decision about your eligibility. Second, the only documents that will be registered in the comune in Italy are those from the applicant and their minor children. Unless someone else in your ancestry line is specifically requesting that their citizenship be recognized, all other documents are kept by the consulate where you apply. (In OP's case extending from applicant back to GGP's, the documents for GPs and parents remain at the consulate.)

Good luck with your application.
allisonblair

Post by allisonblair »

Thanks everyone for the help! I am waiting to hear back from the office in Stigliano regarding my GGF's and GGM's birth certs and marriage license. Once I get those, the rest will be easy to obtain. I hope it goes smoothly!
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I would recommend that if possible, you try to establish a personal rapport with the Stigliano Comune just in case you have a need for continuing communication. It would also be helpful if during a trip to Italy you stopped into the Comune and introduced yourself. Of course, not everyone can do this, but facetime is always good for any sort of service or business transaction.

As for obtaining specific information on how to apply, it's always best to follow specifically, step by step, the instructions your own Consulate (Los Angeles) has posted on it's website and not let yourself get side tracked by reading too many forums where posters are giving their own, personal opinions of what the consulate wants or why, what goes on behind the scenes, etc., etc., as this sort of information is not really important anyway. The wheels of bureaucracy can turn slowly and every case is different so patience on your part would be much better than causing yourself unnecessary worry because you may have read something that doesn't apply to your situation anyway. If you just follow the instructions of your consulate step by step, you can't go wrong.

You would also have a resource to use in the Italian Embassy in Washington, D.C. if you feel a need to take a matter over the heads of the consulate staff but usually they do an excellent job, as was the case when I was recognized in 2001 and when my companion was recognized just last year.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

After the Consulate sends the applicants document to the Comune & it is recorded, will the Consulate notify the applicant when the process is complete? When can the applicant make an appointment for a passport?
Also, what is the process of recording a child's birth after 1 of his parent's jure sanguinis citizenship has been approved.
lisahickey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lisahickey »

What would going to the Embassy entail? We have a situation where several members of the same family are applying in different jurisdictions/consulates. So far, those applying through Boston and LA have been accepted immediately, while those in NY have to return for a second appointment this summer (a year after the first) and there are some discrepancies that we are not able to have fixed. The documents submitted to all consulates have been exactly the same - it is just a case of siblings living in different parts of the country - and if NYC won't process the applications of those here after our next visit this summer, I would like to appeal to the Embassy, but didn't realize that was an option until I saw your post. Any tips about how to do that/what I need should it become necessary (hopefully it won't).
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I would just write a letter to the Ambassador's office at the Embassy in DC explaining what you talked about here and ask if they can provide any assistance in getting New York to comply on a more timely basis. Perhaps if they start getting written complaints about the New York Consulate, they will realize New York has a need for more/better staff, etc. From what I can gather, most of the consulates in the US seem to be getting high marks for efficiency except for New York which seems to be still stuck in the same difficult mode.