Soldanos of Missanello

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
c6mitchell
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Soldanos of Missanello

Post by c6mitchell »

Hi Christine, a few years ago I answered your post on rootsweb, Potenza but I figured you never saw it. My grandfather, Pasquale Mangano, lived on Albany Street where he had a barber shop and a grocery store attached to his house so he could work from home and take care of his family. My grandmother died much too young. If you live in Utica, there is a restaurant there now. I believe I found the Soldano family in newspaper clippings living on Mary Street. I have wondered why my grandfather returned to Missanello when he was 16 but by the time I discovered it there was no one to ask. His father brought him to the US when he was 13 and left him with family in NY City so that he would have a better life. About 1900 he moved to Utica, then returned to NY City to marry. They made their home in Utica. My family was quite close and I have many happy memories. No, I no longer live in Utica but do visit there when I can.

I have found two cousins who live in Italy on the internet. I believe one of them will help me with my family tree although he no longer lives in Missanello. I have not attempted to obtain records from there. A great grandfather and grandmother were born in Calvello and I have searched the microfishe for their records. Someone on another forum was able to locate their birth records for me. One thing to keep in mind, is sometime the baptism date is recorded as the birthdate.

Valerie (vj) found a lot of good records for you. She is amazing!

Let me know if I can help.

Carolyn in NC (Did you go to Proctor?)
c6mitchell
Rookie
Rookie

Post by c6mitchell »

I just looked at the shop manifest and my grandfather was on line 340 along with others from Missanello who ended up living in Utica. Benedict was on line 285.
c6mitchell
Rookie
Rookie

Post by c6mitchell »

You may want to check with Oneida County Clerk, 800 Park Ave, Utica 13501 to send for naturalization papers for genealogy purposes. There is a small fee but it may give you information you did not have before.

_______
Carolyn
niclone

Post by niclone »

Hello...saw the town of Missanello and the Barella family name and wonder if anyone can associate Andreas Barella with relatives you have been discussing? I have Andreas Barella's daughter Sarafina, also born in this Italian town about 1853. She married Senatro D. Peters and raised their family in Utica, New York. Sarafina had sons Frank (Francis), George, Peter, and Nicholas D Peters. Any help?
drilgirl

Post by drilgirl »

Just as a follow up to past post in case anyone else is looking for the same info. I just called the St. Johns Church in Utica NY and found that Bennedetto and Maria were married there for a fact ion April 13, 1891 and they are going to be sending me a copy of the document.There is only one person listed as a whitness and I dont know who it is. It is Audres or Audrae Barella. If you are looking for info on an italian after the year Dec. 20, 1896, the catholic church St. Mary of Mount Carmel Church was errected by the italian people.