Help Understanding 2 documents - Boemi

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
RonB11

Help Understanding 2 documents - Boemi

Post by RonB11 »

I'm trying to learn more about my grandfather, Carmelo Boemi, who was born in 1890 and emigrated in 1913 from Linguaglossa to Rochester NY. I know his father's name was Antonio Boemi, his mother was Concetta Raineri and although he had many siblings, all died at young ages except one older sister, Francesca Boemi. Carmelo's son, Antonino, was born in Linguaglossa in 1913 just before they moved to the US. In 1955/1956, two Italian documents were obtained to help my uncle Antonino get a birth certificate and US Passport. I'm hoping someone could tell me the gist of these documents and if it identifies other Boemi relatives in Sicily and perhaps what street address they once lived at. Here are the links to the 2 PDF files:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1mqGQ8 ... sp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1mqGQ8 ... sp=sharing

Thank you very much in advance.
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Help Understanding 2 documents - Boemi

Post by PippoM »

The dpocuments are two different copies of the same affidavit, and the letter sent to Carmelo as a notification of it.
Francesca (for herself and on behalf of her brother Carmelo, who had authorized her by an affidavit from USA), daughter of the deceased Antonino, had donated, on September 16th, 1955, a house situated in Linguaglossa, via Libertà 9, to the Hospital San Rocco of Linguaglossa. Francesca had the usufruct, and Carmelo the bare ownership.
With the affidavit, mr. Egidio Parisi, as the President of the Hospital, accepted the donation on December 12th, 1955. The affidavit is so large as there are three attachments: the nomination of mr Parisi as the President; the resolution of acceptance by the administration committee of the hospital; and the authorization by the prefect to the hospital for such acceptance (Italy is the land of burocracy...)
The affidavit was signed in Linguaglossa, 105, Via Umberto, in the house of the sisters Francesca and Carmela Puglia (I could not understand why, maybe they were related). Francesco Saglimbene is the Notary.
Hope this helps!
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
RonB11

Post by RonB11 »

Thank you so much Pippo! I did not know my grandfather ever owned a house in Linguaglossa. Perhaps it was his father's house that he inherited and perhaps it was the house he grew up in. I'm glad I now have one more clue that may help find more information about his parents and other relatives.

One other question if you don't mind. When you say "the house of the sisters Francesca and Carmela Puglia", is this the same Francesca as Francesca Boemi, or is it a different person, ie Francesca Puglia? I know that Francesca Boemi died on Dec 24, 1955, so maybe the donation to the hospital was a way to pay medical bills.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

No, it was a different Francesca, sister of Carmela, both not married ("signorine").
I don't think the donation was a way to pay medical bills, as the Hospital was a public one, where citizens did not have to pay (or I think that's how it worked in the 50's). But I think they were urged to "close" the matter before Francesca Boemi died, to avoid any new problem that could arise.
The fact that Francesca and Carmelo were the owners makes me think that, yes, that could be their family house.
If you go to Google Street View, you can even see the street and the house, but maybe be house numbers have changed since then. In the affidavit, it is said that it was one room at ground, two rooms at first floor, and two at second. The only one that seems to have such features seems to me the one today at number 15.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
RonB11

Post by RonB11 »

Thank you again Pippo. I really appreciate your insights.