Meaning of Osteria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Jean Galata
Rookie
Rookie

Meaning of Osteria

Post by Jean Galata »

I'm having difficulty with a phrase in a death record. A nine day old baby died and the death certificate says she died, "...nel osteria di ragione del Signore Isidoro Carli."
The only definition I could find for osteria is tavern or public house. It seems unlikely that a newborn would die in a tavern. Can anyone enlighten me on this? The date of death was March 16, 1813. Perhaps the meaning of the word has changed since then.
Jean Galata
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Meaning of Osteria

Post by Italysearcher »

To understand, we need to understand the phrase in context.
The child could be the son of the owner of the tavern. Was the Tavern owned by Signore Isidoro Carli? Was he also the father?
An 'osteria' translated is bar or tavern, but even today Italians take their children everywhere. Babysitters aren't used unless it's Grandma. If the mother was working at the 'osteria' she might well have had her child with her so she could be breastfed on demand. (the only way). Maybe she and her husband owned the 'osteria'.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Meaning of Osteria

Post by PippoM »

...or maybe something happened to the child out of the tavern, and was taken inside for rescue.
Anyway, we'd better see the document...
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.