Attachment procedures

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
YborCity0801

Attachment procedures

Post by YborCity0801 »

Hello,

I just discovered this wonderful site and have been reading as many posts as I can. It appears that every member here is eager to help others with their research. I hope I too can contribute to this forum in some way.

I'm currently researching a death document from 1855 Sicily and have come to a dead end. I can't translate most of the document because it is handwritten. Someone fluent in the Sicilian dialect/language could decipher the characters better than I. I have been able to pick out my ancestors and some other information.

I noticed that attaching a scanned document requires a certain procedure to be successful. I would like to submit the my document for review and assistance. Can someone give me the procedure so as not to waste anyone's time? Is .jpg the best format to use?--Thanks, TG.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Attachment procedures

Post by VaDeb »

Hi TG

Welcome. This is a great site and resource. I prefer to use Image Shack. (Thanks Maria)

Here is a post written by Maria on how to use it. By following the steps you will post a link to the document. There is translation help available here. Once you get used to reading the atti di morte, it gets much easier. They follow the same format.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... 5896#15896
YborCity0801

Post by YborCity0801 »

Thank you VaDeb. I will upload my image and post the link.
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

I tried to upload a document through Image Shack and it would not let me get passed the first screen. Is there something else I need to do or that I could be doing wrong? It won't even upload the document for me?

Kim
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I had to register awhile back... not sure if you still have to register...

What type of file was it... and what size?

www.imageshack.us/

Use the "Browse" button on the right to help you select your file...

then select "host"

that should take you to the page with the new url... see the "direct link" field .... near bottom of the page...

http://img259.echo.cx/img259/9813/direct1jr.jpg

mfjp (maria)
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

One of them was 113 Kb and was a jpg. file. The other was bigger and will not take it I don't think. When I do those steps nothing shows up in my images. Is there another was I can get them to you guys so you can translate for me?

Kim
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

YES :!: Will be sending you a private message... I can get it linked for you...

but... 113k seems like a tiny file...

I'm sure researcher Trish :twisted: can relate... but then again.. I certainly don't mind linking someones efforts to this forum...

maria :P
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Here's a great site... print yourself a copy...

http://www.comunesofitaly.org/Links/Handwriting.htm

This site has helped me a great deal...

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Here is the file you want transcribed...

Death record

How does this view on your end? Let me know... it can be adjusted.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7554 ... ne12vm.jpg

mfjp

Where's the other file??
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hopes this helps: (Suanj, please check for me)

The year 1868, the day 8, of the month November, the hour 16 (4:00 pm) in the town hall.

Before me, Raffaele Cotantoni (sp?), appointed by the mayor of this comune of Montebello di Bertona, administrative district of Penne, province of Teramo, official of the vital records, appeared Giovannangelo ?, (son of the living) Giuseppeantonio, of years 39 and Ottavio Anton??, (son of the deceased) Antonio, of years 40, both farmers, domiciled and residents of Montebello di Bertona. Which they have declared that today, the 8 of November of the current year at 9:00am in the commune of Montebello di Bertona, died Domenica Colantoni (sp?), 14 months of age. She was born in this comune daughter of Antonio (living) and Annatonia di Giacinto (living), both domiciled and residents of this comune. The above was read to the declarants as they are illeriate.

---------
Notes

When you read the documents the name of a person's father is often given. If the name is Antonio fu Giovanni it means Antonio, the son of the deceased Giovanni. fu means the person it is referring to is deceased.

I am not sure of the spelling of some of the last names. I copy indexes for the comune I am researching and often refer to this "list" to confirm the spelling of a last name. Some indexes are much more readable than others.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

Thank you so much. I will wait for someone to translate the birth act. I appreciate all of your help.

Kim
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Phish Phood, :P

------------------------------------
Birth Act of Raffaele Colantonio
------------------------------------

Numero D' Ordine Dieci
Number of Sequence Ten

L'anno mille ottocento diciassette e tre del mese di Aprile
In the year one thousand eight-hundred seventeen , the third day of the month of April

alle ore dodici
at the hour of twelve

avanti di noi Domenicantonio Santozzi Sindaco ed Uffiziale
in the presence of me Domenicantonio Santozzi Mayor and Officer

dello Stato Civile del Comune di Montebello,
of Vital Records of the Township of Montebello

Provincia di Teramo, è comparso Francescopaolo Colantonio
Province of Teramo, has come forward Francescopaolo Colantonio,

di anni ventitre, di professione Contadino,
twentry-three years of age, occupation Peasant,

domiciliato in detto Comune ,
residing in aforesaid Township,

ed ha dichiarato che il giorno del suddetto mese ad ora quattro indicato? è nato
and he has declared that the same month at the hour of four was born

nella sua propria casa da lui in dichiarante e da Domenica Marrone sua moglie legittima di anni ventiquattro un maschio ?? ci ha presentate e a cui si e dato il nome di RAFFAELE.
from his own home, declares that his wife Domenica Marrone his legittimate wife, twenty-four years of age, presented a male child and gives the name RAFFAELE .

La presentazione, e dichiarazione si? è fatta in presenza di Francesco Colantonio di anni sessantaquattro , di professione Fornaio
The presentation, and aforesaid declaration is being made in the presence of Francesco Colantonio age sixtyfour of the profession baker

domiciliato in questo Comune
residing in the same Township

e di Alessandro Forcella di anni cinquantaduo, di professione Contadino
And from Alessandro Forcella age fiftytwo years , occupation Peasant

domiciliato in questo suddetto Comune
residing in aforesaid Township

Il presente atto e stato letto ??? al dichiarante che a testimoni
The present act was read to the declarer and to the witness

ed indi firmato da noi avendo il dichiarazione Francescopaolo Colantonio ed i testamonio Francesco Colantonio ed Alessandro Forcella, che non sapere scrivere.
and is undersigned only by the witness Francescopaolo Colantonio and the testimony of Francesco Colantonio and Alessandro Foriella, as they are illiterate.

Santozzi

Cesidio ?????????, Cancelliere

Santozzi

Cesidio, Clerk of the Court

--------------------------------

mfjp :P