Records for mid to late 1700's?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Records for mid to late 1700's?

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Hi Everyone:

I am currently working on three family trees - Visaggio/Sciancelpore (Molfetta area), Crifo/Incognito (Messina area of Sicily) and Antista/Guido (Antista-Geraci Siculo & Polizzi Gerosa, Sicily - Guido-Cosenza, Calbria area). On all but the Guido research, I have been able to obtain records to the early 1800's. Does anyone know where I would be able to obtain records for the mid to late 1700's? I am currently at a standstill and would like to be able to continue my research. I have read about baptismal records that go that far back, but I don't know where I would find them for the areas I am researching. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I have looked into a site that someone here recommended for the Cosenza area without much luck. I like to see the records to verify it is the person I am researching before I put information on my trees. And that site does not have all the records to bring up.

Sue Antista
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Records for mid to late 1700's?

Post by Italysearcher »

Most parish records are kept at the church but Molfetta records are at the Diocese. Most won't do research although they will do look ups if the books have indexes and you have approximate dates.
www.chiesacattolica.it is the website.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Records for mid to late 1700's?

Post by bvbellomo »

I am working on Polizzi Generosa and would be happy to collaborate (bvbellomo@gmail.com).

As you probably know, there are the Civil records from 1820-1910, and the 1747 census that I hope to get a copy of soon, and very little to bridge that gap. Church records do exist, and I'd be interested if you are able to get a hold of anything (without paying a lot of money), but you can bridge some of the gap with allegeti records and the 1811 census.

If you are interested in the "Geraci" surname, that will be especially difficult as there are so many similar names (e.g. Ganci, Gangi, Gerasi, Giresi, and Girvasi). Some these might be distinct, others are variations or splits in the family, but I think even the clerks writing the records got them confused.