Researching the DeMatteo last name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dematteo12

Researching the DeMatteo last name

Post by dematteo12 »

Hello All, I'm trying to piece together family history and would like any and all help. My father and Aunt were put into fostercare at an early age and there are alot of holes in our family history that I'd love to help figure out. My father's parents were Lewis DeMatteo Sr(1919-1981.and elaine f bartlett from waterloo, ny ,moved to fulton,ny my paternal great grandfather was louis DeMatteo 18180 - 1963 (waterloo,ny
and his wife maria nicola DelPapa DeMatteo the next great great grandfather was Urbano DeMatteo 1842-1919 who came over from italy. I'd love trace this back to italy and go a few more generations back, this would be quite the gift to my aunt and father as they don't have really any information on our family.
I appreciate all help,
thank you,
Elaine F. DeMatteo
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Researching the DeMatteo last name

Post by PippoM »

This is Urbano's Ellis Island Manifest:

free image hosting

url immagine

I think this should be the right Urbano, as he is going to Waterloo to join son Luigi. Surname here is "Di Matteo" (this is probably the correct spelling), and he was from Roccamorice (probably province of Pescara, region Abruzzo)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Civil records for Roccamorice are available at Family History Centers of the Mormons:
on microfilm, for years 1809-1865
online, for years 1866-1929
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

There are translations on my website and tips on how to search the films.
Have fun.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

You can view these records at a Family History Library on their computers of Roccamorice

Marriage act and pubblication of Santo DeMatteo and Maria Vincenza DiGiorgio

INDEX #24
1896 Dec 26th in the town of Roccamorice appeared Santo DeMatteo age 23 farmer born in Lettomanoppello son of Urbano DeMatteo age 54(abt 1842) and Giacinta Addario married Maria Vincenza DiGiorgio
age 21 farmer born in Roccamorice daughter of deceased Saverio DiGiorgio and Domenica D'Urbano

CLICK ON IMAGES CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

After looking at this records I think you should switch your research to Lettomanoppello for that's where Urbano and Giacinta were born

Death record of Giacinta Addario wife of Urbano DeMatteo
INDEX#32
1911 July 2nd in the town of Roccamorice death of Giacinta Addario age 69(1842)born in Lettomanoppello farmer daughter of deceased Antonio Addario and decased Rosangela d'Alfonsa wife of Urbano DeMatteo

CLICK ON IMAGE CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
dematteo12

Post by dematteo12 »

Thank you so much everyone for your help and support, I teared up as I read this! I can't believe all the help I've received on this, and can't wait to show my family. I think my next piece is to get more information on Urbano DiMatteo (DeMatteo) in lettomamopello and his wife Giacintra Addario. or any more information on Santo DeMatteo his son.
Thank you again!
Elaine DeMatteo
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Emidio DeMatteo
INDEX#11
1897 Nov 18th in the town of Roccamorice appeared Emidio DeMatteo age 20 farmer born in Lettomanoppello son of Urbano DeMatteo and Giacinta Addario married Rubina Farchione age 22 daughter of Francesco Farchione and Pasquarosa d'Attilio???

CLICK ON IMAGE CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty

Marty
gio123456

Post by gio123456 »

Dear Elaine F. Di Matteo (De Matteo)

Urbano Di Matteo born 1842 - 22 Jan 1919 Waterloo, Seneca, N.Y. and Giacinta Addario (Di Matteo) born 1842 - 03 July 1911 Roccamorice (sister town to Lettomanoppello) ... both born 1842 in the town of Lettomanoppello, Chieti, (now Pescara Province since 1927).

They had four sons that I have documented: 1) Antonio Di Matteo b. 1870 Lettomanoppello married Petronilla aka. Louise Conte b. 1869 Lettomanoppello (daughter of Donato Conte and Palma Rosa Conte ... double Conte line)

2)Sante Di Matteo born 25 Nov 1873 Lettomanoppello married 26 Dec 1896 in Roccamorice (Chiesa Del Barone) Maria Vincensa Di Giorgio born 15 Aug 1873 Roccamorice died 01 Feb 1942 Alameda, California. Two daughters: Anna Di Matteo b. 1915 Waterloo, Seneca, N,Y, and Rose Jane Di Matteo born 19 Oct 1917 Waterloo, Seneca, N.Y. died 2012 Whittier, California.

3) Emidio Di Matteo b. 1877 Lettomanoppello (married twice) ... married 18 Nov 1897 in Roccamorice (Chiesa Del Barone) to 1st wife: Rubina Farchione born 1875 Roccamorice died 1931 Waterloo, Seneca, N.Y.
... married 19 Dec 1933 to Maddalena R. Ferrone

4) Luigi Di Matteo born Aug 1879 in Roccamorice died Nov 1963 in Waterloo, Seneca, N.Y. believe he married in Waterloo, Seneca, N.Y. to Maria Nicola Del Papa born Jan 1887 in Carnuchio, Chieti, (these are your ancestors).

Thus far, I have documented 6 children for this couple they are as follows:

i) Elena aka. Ella Di Matteo born 13 Apr 1904 Waterloo, Seneca, N.Y. died Jan 1988 Waterloo, Seneca, N.Y. married Giuseppe aka, Joseph Parete (1894 - 1954) ... they had 5 daughters and 2 sons ( I have documented all their names)

ii) Joseph Di Matteo born Apr 1906 Waterloo, Seneca, N.Y. died Jun 1977 in Fulton, Oswego, N.Y. married Jennie Stahl (1912- 1987) ... they had 2 sons and two daughters (I have documented all their names)

iii) Georgianna Di Matteo born 1908 Waterloo, N.Y. died Oct 1960 Waterloo, N.Y. married Rosario Di Millo born 1905 Roccamorice died May 1963 Waterloo, N.Y. They had 3 sons and two daughters (I have documented all their names)

iv) Ida K. Di Matteo born 25 Aug 1914 Waterloo, N.Y. died June 1982 Waterloo, N.Y. married Albert French (his surname was changed from Francione to French) born 07 Jan 1912 in Roccamorice and died 27 Dec 1992 Geneva, Ontario, N.Y. They had 4 daughters (I have documented all their names)

v) Lewis Robert Di Matteo born 19 Aug 1919 in Waterloo, Seneca, N.Y. died 12 Nov 1981 in Fulton, Oswego, N.Y.

vi) Vincent James Di Matteo born 1925 Waterloo, Seneca, N.Y. died 06 Jan 1945 (World War II and Korean Conflict Veterans Interred Overseas Military Name Vincent J De Matteo Death dd mm 1945 location Military New York ... Burial
Saint-Avold, Departement de la Moselle, Lorraine, France