Marina Mercantile Italiana - age of registration

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
salina57

Marina Mercantile Italiana - age of registration

Post by salina57 »

My grandfather's 'Libretto di Matricolazione' for the Marina Mercantile Italiana shows that he registered in 1884 at the age of 11. His 'Movimenti d'imbarco e sbarco' records in the same book show that he first went to sea (apparently) in August of the same year and accumulated a total of 29 months and 4 days (20 voyages in all) until the record ceases in June 1898, by which time he was 25.
Is anyone else aware of boys joining the Marina Mercantile Italiana at such a young age? Does anyone have any more information about this organisation? My grandfather's role, at least until 1890, was 'mozzo' (ship's boy). He lived in the Aeolian Islands north of Sicily.
anagentilia

Re: Marina Mercantile Italiana - age of registration

Post by anagentilia »

I'm researching my husband's Italian side of the family and came across a Marina Mercantile Italiana Foglio di Recognizione that lists his great grandfather as a fisherman when he was only eleven years old in 1897. So this may be standard procedure for everyone that spends time out in the water to be registered. His card is from Augusta, Sicily, Italy. It was nice to come across your post though.
marymary52
Veteran
Veteran

Post by marymary52 »

I have my grandfathers Maria Mercantile Italiana documents and he was born in 1877 and the documents is stamped 1890
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

11 was considered an adult in those times. I have seen a Foglio di Via (money given by the Comune to send someone to another town or back to their home town) for an 11 year old who went to Naples as a labourer.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.