Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Both but I am most interested in Italian records especially if I can surf through them in the english language since I do not read italian.
The sites I have found are mostly in Italian & my mom translates when she is over.
As many Americans of Italian decent...
My grandparents were born in Italy, my parents are first generation. As children, my parents & their siblings were tormented and physically picked on.
Prior to the passing of my (maternal) grandmother when I was only 7, my brother & I spoke Italian. My mother did not keep up with speaking it to us so we would not endure the horros of their childhood.
"My grandparents were born in Italy, my parents are first generation. As children, my parents & their siblings were tormented and physically picked on."
ajmonti:
You are so right! That was the basis for our children's book - bullying. My husband and his brother were picked on because their Papa spoke broken English (he was 34 when he came to the US). We are advocates for literacy anti-bullying policies and we visit schools with our program. Although very proud of his heritage now, there were many painful times in my husband's childhood. Although he could understand some Italian, my husband regrets that he didn't learn to speak such a beautiful language!
PS: We are originally from Woodbridge, NJ (not too far from Howell)
Joyful Wishes
Patti www.joyfulproductions.com
MILTON'S DILEMMA is the tale of a lonely boy's magical journey to friendship and self-acceptance.
Hey AJMONTI
you have found a great site. I can promise you will always be steered in the right direction. I'm also 2nd generation born here, both sets of grandparents from southern Italy. Potenza and Naples. Also I was born and raised in Howell...Live in Jackson now...welcome to the site.
It is really so sad a generation that did so much for the world and NOBODY knows how we were treated.
Italians were the largest ethnic group to fight in any WAR. WWII we made up 7% of the soilders. No other nationality has done that. We had to prove our loyality and devotion to this country longer and harder than ANY group ever.
We were and still are a PROUD people that contributed to the WORLD more than anyone ever has.
From the Disney stories of Pinocchio, Cinderella, to engenieers, builders of GOVERNMENT & private bulidings & at one time the longest Bridge (The Verranzano). We were also the lowest paid labor even lower paid than African Americans & yet our voices have never been heard. We only worked harder to strive for excellence...EXCELLENCE we always knew we had!
We were the only people to have had to register with the department of justice & the fbi.
I know exactly where Woodbridge is as well as shopped at the mall many many times coming from Brooklyn as a teen.
I have read many post with regard to the ill treatment of Italians.....
I myself have never encountered any negativity....once in fifth grade
I was called a gypsy...dark hair, dark skin...but I did the most unlady like thing....I punched her in the eye and she never called me that again!!!!
As for genealogy....have you located any records so far? Did your grandparents immigrate before 1924?
You will not find Italian records online....there are a few sources, but not
many. Request for records must be sent to the town of origin, unless the town has been microfilmed by the Lds. Then you can rent the microfilm and research the records from this source. All records are in Italian, but there are sources to help you translate.
Welcome to the site!!!!! You will find great people here!!!!!
wldspirit
If you know the names of your grandparents mother and father,
you can send to their town of origin for birth, marriage and death
records.
Have you located the ship manifest?
If you would like census images please mention where they would be
living in 1910, 20, and 30. Also the names of their children to help identify
the correct family.
You can search for microfilm at the lds site, and also locate a library near you.
My mom and dad came from two very different classes of Italian society. Dad's mom came from a very aristocrat family and mom's came from farmers and agricultural workers. When my mom's parents came to the US, they left their oldest son Giovanni in the care of my maternal grandmother's parents. I hea...