Josephine Pecci from Tramutola, Potenza, Basilicata, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PecciSalera

Josephine Pecci from Tramutola, Potenza, Basilicata, Italy

Post by PecciSalera »

Hello,

I am really hoping and praying that someone has a photograph of Josephine Pecci Salera Hoeflinger born in Tramutola, Potenza, Basilicata, Italy. My mother-in-law is one of the best people I’ve ever known and I would really like to find a photograph of her mother for her for her upcoming 90th birthday next year.
My mother-in-law’s father died when she was 3, her mother re-married and then died 5 years later. My mil, along with the younger siblings, was put into an orphanage and foster care by the second husband who for whatever reason could not care for them.

My mil does not remember what her mother looks like, and when her mother died, any photographs or records just disappeared. My mil's siblings are all passed away now and there is no one to ask. No aunts or uncles or cousins, no one. I have already searched through public family trees looking for this connection, but no luck so far. If anyone could help me at all I would be so grateful!

Here is the information I have for the woman I am looking for:
Name: Josephine (Giuseppina) Pecci

Birth: born 1894 (maybe 1892, perhaps to make herself older (18 instead of 16) when she married)
in Tramutola, Potenza, Basilicata, Italy.

Parents: mother (as listed on 2nd marriage certificate) Rosina Magliono, father (listed on 2nd marriage cert. and as contact person in Marsico Vetere on ship passenger list) Mike/Michele Pecci.

Siblings: Unknown

1st marriage in Marsico Vetere, Potenza, Basilicata, Italy (probably married there, listed as last place of residence on ship's passenger log before emigrating, and first child born shortly thereafter) to James Salera (1884 in Pittsburgh, PA and died in Los Angeles, CA in 1927. His parents as listed on brother Angelo’s death certificate were Antonet Cobibellia and Frank Salera, though there is a 20 year age difference and it is possible they have different mothers).

Emigration: aboard the Konig Albert, departing port Naples, arrived in New York 20 Sep 1912. Husband James is for some reason, (but I am fairly certain it is him), listed as Giovanni (and here the transcriber made an error) Salvia. If the e and the r in Salera are run together, it looks like Salvia. They are shown as traveling as a married couple. He is listed as a merchant, she as a housewife. Their final destination is Pittsburgh, PA (where incidentally there are a lot of Salera's listed in 1880-1940 censuses), contact person in Pittsburgh is James's brother Angelo Salera. The 1910 census incorrectly transcribes Angelo Salera as Salera Angelo, and living with him and his family is James Salera, brother. The family story goes that James went back to Italy to find an Italian wife (sometime between 1910 census and 20 sep 1912, though I have been unable to find this travel information), met and married Josephine Pecci, and then went back to PA.

Children: Their first son Frank was born March of the following year 1913 in Pittsburgh, PA, so Josephine would have to been 3 months pregnant when they arrived in New York. 2nd son was Mario was born in Pittsburgh, the following 3 children were all born in Los Angeles.

Frank Salera b. 1913 Pittsburgh, PA – d. 1991 Los Angeles, CA
Mario Salera b. 1919 Pittsburgh, PA – d. 2004 Los Angeles, CA
Carlo Salera b. 1922 Los Angeles, CA – d. 1990 Los Angeles, CA
Yolanda Salera b. 1923 Los Angeles, CA – d. abt 2005 Los Angeles, CA
Rosemary Salera b. 1925 Los Angeles, CA – still living.

1920 Federal Census, Pittsburgh: The family (James, Josephine, Frank) appears in the 1920 federal census for Pittsburgh, with sons Frank and Mario. They then moved to Los Angeles sometime in 1921.

2nd Marriage: James Salera died in 1927 in Los Angeles, and Josephine married a second time to Jacob Hoeflinger in Los Angeles, CA
1930 Federal Census, Los Angeles: Josephine Hoeflinger is listed with 2nd husband Jacob. Mario, Carlo, Yolanda, and Rosemary are listed with surname of Hoeflinger, Frank is listed as Salera. Also listed is Jacob Hoeflinger Jr. a son from the 1st marriage of Jacob Hoeflinger Sr.
Death: She then died in 1932 in Los Angeles, CA.

I know a lot of things about Josephine Pecci, but the only official documents that I have about her are a ships passenger list from when she emigrated, a marriage certificate for the second marriage, and a 1920 census record for Pittsburgh, and a 1930 census record listing her under her 2nd husband’s name, Hoeflinger, in Los Angeles. I have not been able to find any other Pecci relations of hers, a birth, death, or 1st marriage certificate, grave marker, naturalization record, or birth certificates for her children.

So, again, if anyone can give me any information that would help me find Josephine Pecci's relatives and especially a photograph of her, that would be wonderful.

Thank you,
Lynne
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Josephine Pecci from Tramutola, Potenza, Basilicata, Ita

Post by liviomoreno »

Some vital records for Tramutola are available on line: https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043547
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Giuseppina Pecci birth record: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,392439301

She was born March 6 1892, to Michele Pecci 23yo, joiner, and to Rosina Maglione, housewife.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Michele Antonio Pecci and Rosina Marianna Gesualda Maglione
INDEX#20
1890 Sept 20th in the town of Tramutola marriage of Michele Antonio Pecci age 23 born in Tramulota cabinet maker son of Giuseppe Pecci and Maria Grippo married to Rosina Marianna Gesualda Maglione age 25 born in Tramulota daughter of Domenico Maglione and Francesca di Salvo
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
31053_A502035-00011.jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Giuseppe Pecci (Brother of Giuseppina Pecci )
INDEX#6
1894 Jan 22nd in the town of Tramutola birth of Giuseppe Pecci son of Michele Pecci age 26 cabinet maker and to Rosina Maglione
31053_A501942-00003.jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Galiano Giuseppe Pecci (Brother of Giuseppina Pecci )
INDEX#12
1896 Feb 12th in the town of Tramutola in a house at via Mannesi #12 birth of Galiano Giuseppe Pecci son of Michele Pecci age 28 cabinet maker and to Rosina Maglione
31053_A501944-00005.jpg
Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth record of Domenico Pecci (Brother of Giuseppina Pecci )
INDEX#42
1899 May 27th in the town of Tramutola in a house at via Mannesi #20 birth of Domenico Pecci son of Michele Pecci age 32 cabinet maker and to Rosina Maglione
31053_A501947-00015.jpg
Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth of Francesca Elena Pecci (sister of Giuseppina Pecci )
INDEX#9
1902 Jan 20th in the town of Tramutola in a house at via del Colle #16 birth of Francesca Elena Pecci son of Michele Pecci age 33 cabinet maker and to Rosina Maglione
31053_A501950-00004.jpg
Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

There is a Antonietta Pecci still living in Tramutola try writing to her see if she is related you might get lucky send a no stamp self addressed return envelope its only about $1.50 to send a letter to Italy (Are stamps cant be used in Italy)

Antonietta Pecci
Viale Principe Umberto 1
85057 Tramutola (PZ)
tel: 0975 353015

Antonietta Pecci,
Sto cercando notizie della mia famiglia in Italia ed è per questo che Le scrivo per sapere se Lei ha qualche informazione da darmi o se ha fatto per caso delle analoghe ricerche per il suo ramo della famiglia.
Sarei felice se Lei fosse uno dei miei parenti, in questo caso La pregherei di inviarmi un breve messaggio con le notizie in Suo possesso.

Il mio nome è YOUR NAME e vivo negli Stati Uniti d'America. Ho avuto il tuo nome e indirizzo dal paginebiachine. Giuseppina Pecci figlia di Michele e Rosina Maglione che era nato nel 1892 in Tramulota, era il mio trisnonna emigrò negli Stati Uniti nel 1912

Vorrei mettermi in contatto con i miei parenti Pecci in Tramutola. Allego una busta pre-indirizzata oppure puoi scrivermi a EMAIL ADDRESS

Non vedo l'ora di avere tue notizie..

Cordiali saluti,
NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Antoinette Pecci,
I am looking for news of my family in Italy and that is why I am writing to know if you have any information to give me, or if he has done for the case of similar research for his branch of the family.
I would be happy if you were one of my relatives, in this case I would ask you to send a short message with the news in your possession.

My name is YOUR NAME and I live in the United States of America. I got your name and address from paginebiachine. Josephine Pecci daughter of Michael and Rosina Maglione that was born in 1892 in Tramulota, she was my great-grandmother emigrated to the U.S. in 1912

I would like to get in touch with my relatives Pecci in Tramulota. I enclose a self-addressed envelope, or you can email me at EMAIL ADDRESS

I can not wait to hear from you ..

Sincerely,
NAME EMAIL ADDRESS

Marty

Marty
PecciSalera

Post by PecciSalera »

Thank you, thank you! What a wonderful, pertinent, and generous response everyone has provided. My mother-in-law now knows about 3 uncles and an aunt, plus some first cousins she had no idea of before. I will definitely follow-up on the inquiry in Italy, and still hoping that I can find a photograph of Josephine. Thanks again!
maglione

Re: Josephine Pecci from Tramutola, Potenza, Basilicata, Italy

Post by maglione »

Hey adelfio.

Could you tell me how do you navigate through this much data and find specific names more easily? I am having trouble finding the birth certificate of my great grandfather Ulisses Maglione (Maglioni) or the marriage certificate of Domenico Maglione with Francesca di Salvo.

Thank you so much.