Nigro, Nigri, Bove,Italiano, Ciano from Grumento Nova, Italy

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Rose243

Nigro, Nigri, Bove,Italiano, Ciano from Grumento Nova, Italy

Post by Rose243 »

Looking for any info on relatives surnames Nigro or Nigri from Grumento Nova, Basilicata, Italy.
Also Bove or Italiano.

Are there any relatives to Giuseppe Nigro born Grumento Nova (saponara di grumentum) 18 March 1864, out there?? Whom he migrated to Australia.

Who married Catherine mary leonard italiano ( Caterina Maria Donata Italiano. born 12 April 1882, baptized in Grumento nova. Daughter of Antonio Italiano and Maria (Caterina Margherita) Pricoli? ( or Tricola) or Tricoli?? Also migrated to Australia.

Giuseppe's parents: Carlo Nigri, or (Nigro) 15 oct 1832
Carmela Bove 30 June 1831

Married 30 July 1857 in grumento nova, Basilicata, italy

Carlo Nigri, son of Giuseppe Nigri and Gesualda Ramaglia.

Carmela Bove daughter of Giacomantonio Bove and Rosa Ciano

Thankyou any info would be appreciated as this is as much as i have.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Nigro, Nigri, Bove,Italiano, Ciano from Grumento Nova, I

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Rose243 wrote:Looking for any info on relatives surnames Nigro or Nigri from Grumento Nova, Basilicata, Italy.

Also Bove or Italiano.

Are there any relatives to Giuseppe Nigro born Grumento Nova (saponara di grumentum) 18 March 1864, out there?? Whom he migrated to Australia.

Who married Catherine mary leonard italiano ( Caterina Maria Donata Italiano. born 12 April 1882, baptized in Grumento nova. Daughter of Antonio Italiano and Maria (Caterina Margherita) Pricoli? ( or Tricola) or Tricoli?? Also migrated to Australia.

The correct surname is Pricolo.

Here is Caterina's Birth Record – 1882: IMAGE 572 INDEX 33 CATERINA MARIA DONATA ITALIANO: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=M9M6-Y8Z

Antonio Italiano and Maria Pricolo were not married at the time of Caterina's birth (dalla sua (Antonio's) unione naturale con Pricolo Maria NON CONIUGATA) but there is a side note which if I am reading it correctly says that the couple got married that day in order to legitimise the birth​?

Giuseppe's parents: Carlo Nigri, or (Nigro) 15 oct 1832

Carmela Bove 30 June 1831

Married 30 July 1857 in grumento nova, Basilicata, italy

Carlo Nigri, son of Giuseppe Nigri and Gesualda Ramaglia.?

I have a marriage bann (Notificazione), dated 28 June 1857 (Index 17) for Carlo Nigri and Carmela Bove which basically reads:
Carlo Nigri, age 29, (1828) farmer, living Saponara (di Grumento) (now known as Grumento Nova) son of the late “Nicola Nigri”, and “Gerolama Pugliese”, and

Carmela Bove, 26, (1831) daughter of the late Giacomantonio Bove, farmer living Saponara and Rosa Ciano, living Saponara. On checking the indices these also give Carlo's parents names as Nicola Nigri and Gerolama Pugliese? Date of marriage in church was 31 July 1857.

Carmela Bove daughter of Giacomantonio Bove and Rosa Ciano

Thankyou any info would be appreciated as this is as much as i have.
Hi there

I've been systematically going through my own files to consolidate and also followup on loose ends and a name that has recently appeared for me is “Ramaglia”. I saw your post here, followed up, saw some possible discrepances so have edited your post accordingly. The names Nigro/i and Pricolo from Saponara (Grumento Nova) are in my family history but to date I don't see any connection with your history.

Angela
Rose243

Post by Rose243 »

Dear Angela,

Thankyou so much for looking that up for me and posting a reply.
Every little bit helps, the fact that i cannot read italian makes it very difficult for me!
Goodluck your your family tree.
Thanks again,
Jenn
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Rose243 wrote:Dear Angela,

Thankyou so much for looking that up for me and posting a reply.
Every little bit helps, the fact that i cannot read italian makes it very difficult for me!
Goodluck your your family tree.
Thanks again,
Jenn
Hi Jenn

You are very welcome. If you ever need any help with translating Italian to English there are plenty of great people here who would be willing to help with that.

I've located the following marriage banns and marriage record for Caterina Italiano's parents, Antonio Italiano and Maria Pricolo which includes information about their respective parents. I've done a quick basic translation here:

INDEX 13: ANTONIO ITALIANO AND MARIA PRICOLO
Record is dated 17 June 1882 at 11.15 a.m. in the presence of Andrea Giliberti, Mayor.
(The banns were posted 18, 25, 29 June.)

Details:
Antonio Italiano, age 23, (1859) farmer, living in Saponara di Grumento, son of Raffaele Italiano, aged 56, (1826) macellaio? (butcher), living in this town, son of the late Donata Di Tommaso, farmer, living in Saponara di Grumento, in life, and

Maria Pricolo, age 18, (1864) farmer, living in Saponara di Grumento, daughter of the late Francesco Paolo Pricolo, farmer, who lived in this town in life, daughter of Caterina Vitetta, farmer, living in Saponara di Grumento.

Link to the record: INDEX 13 Antonio Italiano and Maria Pricolo:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1211340491

Here is the marriage record:

INDEX 14: ANTONIO ITALIANO AND MARIA PRICOLO
Dated: 16 July 1882 at 9.15 a.m. Saponara di Grumento.

Antonio Italiano, aged 23, (1859) farmer, born and living in Saponara di Grumento, son of Raffaele living in Saponara di Grumento and the late Donata Di Tommaso who lived in Saponara di Grumento in life.

Maria Pricolo, aged 18, (1864) farmer, born and living in Saponara di Grumento, daughter of the late Francesco Paolo Pricolo who lived in Saponara di Grumento in life and Caterina Vitetta, living in this town.

Link to the marriage record INDEX 14 Italiano Antonio and Pricolo Maria
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1211340491

Time permitting, I'll see what else I can find in the next couple of days. :)

Angela
Jbc243

Re: Nigro, Nigri, Bove,Italiano, Ciano from Grumento Nova, Italy

Post by Jbc243 »

Thankyou so much for that !!!