Correct spelling of a name?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MarcoItaliano
Rookie
Rookie

Correct spelling of a name?

Post by MarcoItaliano »

My 2nd Nonno Grande on my mother's side was Augostino Luongo. My mother told me she might have spelled his first name wrong so i searched on the internet and it looks like it is spelled wrong and i found the correct way to spell it but i dont know which one it is, looks like there is 2 ways to spell it; AGOSTINO or AUGUSTINO. so which way do you think its spelled? I dont have any records of him and i dont even know what he looks like, he was born in the 1800's in Sora, Frosinone, Lazio and died there too sometime in the 1900's. Thats all i know... Thanks if you can help
Family Surnames In My Pedigree:
GIZZI, PALLESCHI, BALDASSARRA, SAVONA, CORSETTI, DE SANTIS, LUONGO, CASTELLUCCI, DI CRESCE, MATTACCHIONE, CARIOZZI, MATTEUCCI, DI COSMO,
3rd-generation Canadian. Family from Lazio (Frosinone province)
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Correct spelling of a name?

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello, :D

I would guess Agostino, but if his name was Augusto, he could have been called Augustino.

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
MarcoItaliano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MarcoItaliano »

Paolo47 wrote:Hello, :D

I would guess Agostino, but if his name was Augusto, he could have been called Augustino.

Paul
ya i think Agostino too because there is the surname Agostino and D'Agostino..etc (which mean "of Agostino" because its an Italian given first name) but my mom put a U after A when she wrote it down for me and she got that info from my nonno's sister who is an older lady who maybe cant remember exactly. But Augostino (the way she spell it is spelled wrong, thats why im asking) and his name was not spelled Augusto it has the "-stino" at the end for sure. I dont know when his birth date is exactly but he was probably born in the month of August i guess and that why his parents named him that.
GIZZI, PALLESCHI, BALDASSARRA, SAVONA, CORSETTI, DE SANTIS, LUONGO, CASTELLUCCI, DI CRESCE, MATTACCHIONE, CARIOZZI, MATTEUCCI, DI COSMO,
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You can view common Italian names/spellings here: http://www.nomix.it/nomi-italiani-masch ... minili.php
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
MarcoItaliano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MarcoItaliano »

johnnyonthespot wrote:You can view common Italian names/spellings here: http://www.nomix.it/nomi-italiani-masch ... minili.php
ya it has both on there thats what i mean, could be spelled either way, but for sure has "stino" at the end not "usto". Kind of sucks for me for doing research because all of my grandparents are immigrants here and my family only been here for 50-55 years (on both sides moved here in the 1960's) and all the records and info i need is all in Italy. All the info i have of my ancestors is all from asking my nonni and other relatives and its all accurate info but once i go back to my 2ND Nonni Grade its hard for them to remember certain things exactly, thats why thats only as far back as i can go now in researching my ancestors (is to the 1800's) I still have lots of family in Italia that could probably help easy with this but i dont talk to them.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

It is probably not entirely helpful to know that Augusto is a bit more than twice as common as Agostino in modern day Lazio region (which includes Frosinone).

Go to http://www.nomix.it/nomi-italiani-masch ... minili.php and on the right side under "Cerca il tuo nome" enter a name in the "Nome" box, select "Mappe diffusione" from the dropdown and then click the Conferma button.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Primo Mattino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Primo Mattino »

There is no such thing as correct spelling for names. If I tell the civil servant to write my daughters name as Erika instead of Erica he has the do so. In times when most people were ilitterate the correct way of writing a name was how the civil servant wrote the name in the birth certificate.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Primo Mattino wrote:There is no such thing as correct spelling for names. If I tell the civil servant to write my daughters name as Erika instead of Erica he has the do so. In times when most people were ilitterate the correct way of writing a name was how the civil servant wrote the name in the birth certificate.
It is a valid point, however during the time in question (and, probably, especially in the south), most people were illiterate and so relied on the ufficiale dello stato civile to write the names correctly in the birth/marriage/death acts.

I rarely see anything I would consider a non-standard spelling in these documents. What we in the US see however is many Italian names which have become corrupted after immigration due to clerical errors.
Carmine

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Primo Mattino wrote:There is no such thing as correct spelling for names. If I tell the civil servant to write my daughters name as Erika instead of Erica he has the do so. In times when most people were ilitterate the correct way of writing a name was how the civil servant wrote the name in the birth certificate.
an example for all: Guiseppe is an incorrect spellig, the correct spelling is Giuseppe
Primo Mattino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Primo Mattino »

It is not true. If the father at the registering of the birth of his son insists that his name will be Guiseppe, the civil servant has to write the name as Guiseppe and the boy will the rest of his life be called Guiseppe. The spelling of a name is determined in the birthcertificate and nowhere else.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Primo Mattino wrote:It is not true. If the father at the registering of the birth of his son insists that his name will be Guiseppe, the civil servant has to write the name as Guiseppe and the boy will the rest of his life be called Guiseppe. The spelling of a name is determined in the birthcertificate and nowhere else.
Not in Italy
Primo Mattino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Primo Mattino »

Is there in Italy a list of permitted names? (like in Morocco f.i.)