Help with translation of 1871 birth record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Help with translation of 1871 birth record

Post by mjclayton1 »

Hello, All good people...

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350142402

Here's what I think I see:

Atti Numero 97

Date of Record: 25 Sep 1871
Town of Gallicano, Lucca
Birth Name: Vincenzo SAISI
Appeared: Pietro SAISI (father), age 35, son of deceased Matteo
Born: 24 Sep 1871 (current month) at 3 A.M.
By wife: Gioconda PUPPA (sp?) of Gallicano (note: VIncenzo's parents' marriage record linked below possibly shows name as being "Giacinta?")
Her deceased father Bartolomeo, of Gallicano
Declared by Carlo PICCININI, son of Antonio, deceased, and Giuseppe MARGARITI (sp?), son of deceased Pietro

Am I missing anything important? Trades? Also, what does "Braviante" mean??

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350142701

Thanks much in advance...
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Help with translation of 1871 birth record

Post by liviomoreno »

mjclayton1 wrote:Hello, All good people...

Here's what I think I see:

Atti Numero 97

Date of Record: 25 Sep 1871
Town of Gallicano, Lucca
Birth Name: Vincenzo SAISI
Appeared: Pietro SAISI (father),day labourer (bracciante) age 35, son of deceased Matteo
Born: 24 Sep 1871 (current month) at 3 A.M.
By wife: Gioconda PUPPA (sp?) of Gallicano (note: VIncenzo's parents' marriage record linked below possibly shows name as being "Giacinta?"I read Gioconda)
Her deceased father Bartolomeo, of Gallicano
Witnesses to the declaration are Carlo PICCININI, son of Antonio, deceased, and Giuseppe MAZZARITI (sp?), son of deceased Pietro

Am I missing anything important? The side notation states that Vincenzo married, in Gallicano, Ersilia Simonini, on Dec 1 1898Trades? Also, what does "Bracciante" mean?? day labourer

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350142701

Thanks much in advance...
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

Thanks, Livio. I did already have the 1898 marriage between Vincenzo and Ersilia, but I appreciate you pointing that out to me. ANother question or two here...

The 1871 index that I found refers to "Provincia di Massa Comune di Gallicano". I thought Gallicano - indeed, Lucca - was part of the Tuscany Province? Maybe this was an official designation before unification in 1870?

Also, as to Ersilia's birth record, could you also translate?

The interesting part that I'm already aware of is that Ersilia was originally married to Vincenzo Saisi, yet he eventually must have died and she then married Vincenzo's younger brother, Giuseppe (DOB 19 Jul 1881). I know this thru Vincenzo's still-living grandson, Alfred Elio Saisi. Priro to that happening, Vincenzo and Ersilia also had another child, Pietro (DOB 3 Jun 1899 . Additionally, Erisila and Giuseppe had two children of their own, Mario and Rudolfo, both born in San Francsico, CA.

From the above record, it looks like the side annotation is "proof" that Ersilia and Giuseppe married on 17 Jan 1909. Prior to that, the record seems to indicate that Ersilia is the legitimate son of Marco Simonini. However, does the actual record also indicate that the child (Ersilia) was perhaps born to a woman he wasn't married to?

Any additional clarity here would be much appreciated. Thanks...
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The birth act indicates that Ersilia Simonini was born 9 Dec 1876. The father was Marco Simonini (son of living Giovanni) who had a relation with a woman that was not his relative or akin.
The first side notation states that on 17 Sept 1877 (not 100% sure about the date) Marco Simonini married Assunta Simonini (daughter of Gaetano) and they legitimated their daughter Ersilia.
The second notation states that Ersilia married Vincenzo Saisi on Dec 1 1898
the third notation states that Ersilia married Giuseppe Saisi on Jan 17 1909

Tuscany (in Italian Toscana) is a region which includes 10 provinces among which Lucca. Each province is composed by several "Comuni" (municipalities)

Gallicano was part of the province of Massa and in 1923 was included in the province of Lucca.
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

Thank you for your detailed explanation(s), livio. Just want to be 100% on this, but when you say Marco and Assunta legitimized "their" daughter does that mean that Assunta was, in fact, Ersilia's birth mother (and not simply what would be considered an "adoptive" mother)?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Assunta and Marco, with their marriage, recognized Ersilia to be their daughter and they legitimated her. Assunta was the natural (birth) mother.
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

Thank you again. :D