massanelli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mtballard

massanelli

Post by mtballard »

My great grandmother was Maria Massanelli. Her brother was Giuseppe Massinelli. I think their father was Domenico Massanelli and mother was Rosa. They are from the Pozzo Alto, Pesaro area. They came to America in 1906 and settled in the Pine Bluff, Arkansas area. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Trish
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: massanelli

Post by brujaojos »

mtballard wrote:My great grandmother was Maria M. Her brother was Giuseppe Massinelli. I think their father was Domenico Massanelli and mother was Rosa. They are from the Pozzo Alto, Pesaro area. They came to America in 1906 and settled in the Pine Bluff, Arkansas area. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Trish
Hi Trish,

I just love your name!:)

There isn't any microfilm for the town of Pozzo Alto, so you would have to write to the town directly. Here is the address I found.

Comune di Pozzo Alto
Ufficio Anagrafe
041817 POZZO ALTO PU

Or you should write to Pesaro since Pozzo Alto is a hamlet of Pesaro. Here is the website foe Pesaro.
http://www.comune.pesaro.ps.it/

Here is a link that will help you write your letter in Italian.
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Here is the link for the ship's manifest for Domenico and his daughter, Maria in 1906. Now there is a Giuseppe traveling with them, and he is going to the same place, but it didn't say he was a brother, but he probably is related some how.

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2186080334

I found these people in the Arkansas Death Index.
Augusta Massanelli 1862 Jefferson 17 Dec 1942
Francesc Massanelli 1869 Jefferson 20 May 1948
Frank Massanelli Jefferson 14 Sep 1930
James Nel Massanelli Jefferson 06 Jan 1932
Mildred J Massanelli Jefferson 10 Aug 1928
Warren Massanelli Jefferson 26 Dec 1928

I think I found Joseph (Giuseppe) married to a Josephine in the census. However, I would like you to verify who his wife is for in the WWI Draft Cards, there is a Giuseppe married to a Giovanna.

Name: Giuseppe Massanelli
City: Not Stated
County: Jefferson
State: Arkansas
Birth Date: 22 Mar 1880
Race: White
Roll: 1530466
DraftBoard: 2

I hope some of this is a help.

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
mtballard

Post by mtballard »

Trish,

Thanks for all your help!

It looks like Giuseppie Massanelli came over the first time in 1906 and went back to Italy and came back with a wife in 1908. I can't make out her name. Josephine was his wife at some point. I will have to do some more researching as to why there was another name on the WWI draft cards.

I will write those addresses for further information. I really hope I can find some info.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in the spring. I would like to do some researching while I am there. Do you know if they allow anyone to look through their records? I know the catholic church in the commune has older records, would they allow me to look through those records?

Thanks again for all your help!
Trish
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

mtballard wrote: It looks like Giuseppie Massanelli came over the first time in 1906 and went back to Italy and came back with a wife in 1908. I can't make out her name. Josephine was his wife at some point. I will have to do some more researching as to why there was another name on the WWI draft cards.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Italy in the spring. I would like to do some researching while I am there. Do you know if they allow anyone to look through their records? I know the catholic church in the commune has older records, would they allow me to look through those records?

Thanks again for all your help!
Trish
Hi Trish,

If you notice on the first manifest of March 7, 1906 the family did not come over for the names are all crossed out. However, Rosa is with Domenico, Maria, and Giuseppe.

March 7, 1906 Manifest

On the second manifest of March 8, 1906, it's only Domenico, Giuseppe, and Maria. Rosa could have gotten sick or something and that's why they didn't come on the first ship.

March 8, 1906 Manifest

On the 1908 Manifest, it's two pages. Giuseppe's wife is Germina (Jermina) Brondi. On this manifest it states they left Giuseppe's brother, Vincenzo in Italy and they were going to go see Giuseppe's father, Domenico in the USA.

Page 1

[Page 2

As to the Civil and Church records, all you can do is go ask. You shouldn't have a problem with the Civil Records, but remember the Chruch records could be tough since there are a shortage of Priest. However, I would still try.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Trish,

Here is the information for the 1930 census. I know one of my dear friends on here will post it for you.

Name: Joseph Massanelli
Estimated birth year: abt 1881
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Josephine Massanelli
Home in 1930: Vaugine, Jefferson, Arkansas
Image source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Vaugine, Jefferson, Arkansas; Roll: 79; Page: 10B; Enumeration District: 58; Image: 612.0.

Here is the 1920 census. It's 2 pages census.

Name: Joe Massennelle
[Joe Massemelle]
Estimated birth year: abt 1880
Home in 1920: Vaugine, Jefferson, Arkansas
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1906
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 616
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Vaugine, Jefferson, Arkansas; Roll: T625_67; Page: 24A; Enumeration District: 131; Image: 616

I hope some of this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

brujaojos wrote:Hi Trish,

Here is the information for the 1930 census. I know one of my dear friends on here will post it for you.

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/1357 ... 9303vz.jpg
Name: Joseph Massanelli
Estimated birth year: abt 1881
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Josephine Massanelli
Home in 1930: Vaugine, Jefferson, Arkansas
Image source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Vaugine, Jefferson, Arkansas; Roll: 79; Page: 10B; Enumeration District: 58; Image: 612.0.

Here is the 1920 census. It's 2 pages census.

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/1279/cens19204uu.jpg

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/3224 ... ge20fu.jpg

Name: Joe Massennelle
[Joe Massemelle]
Estimated birth year: abt 1880
Home in 1920: Vaugine, Jefferson, Arkansas
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1906
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 616
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Vaugine, Jefferson, Arkansas; Roll: T625_67; Page: 24A; Enumeration District: 131; Image: 616

I hope some of this helps,
Trish
Hi All, linked the census records that Trish found for you.

mfjp
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

mfjp wrote: Hi All, linked the census records that Trish found for you.

mfjp
Hi Maria,

Thank you for linking the records.

hugs
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
mtballard

Post by mtballard »

I emailed this address:

urp.comune.pesaro@comune.pesaro.ps.it

I asked about the birth records for Maria Massanelli and her brother, Giuseppe. I didn't expect a reply, but I got one and they included copies of their birth records. It had their father's name, Domenico Massanelli, and their mother's name, Teresa Fratesi. I was so suprised they answered!

They didn't ask for any money, but I would like to offer some for their time and service. Would that be appropriate? I would not want to insult them. I have more questions for them, but again, I do not want to seem pushy or demanding.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Trish
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

brujaojos wrote:
mfjp wrote: Hi All, linked the census records that Trish found for you.

mfjp
Hi Maria,

Thank you for linking the records.

hugs
Trish
No problem Trish. Also, there is a "Fratesa" surname on one of the census records you found for Trish...
mfjp