Immigrant Italian Clubs Societies

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Immigrant Italian Clubs Societies

Post by stfrancis »

A key to finding Italian Ancestors in America, is to look at Club and Association Memberships
In Montreal, I succeeded with this using archived Incorporation papers, and Charters of dozens of Italian Clubs, many of which contained signed memberships

I was thinking of doing this for NYC, circa 1890 to 1905, but Im not sure where to go to dig up the papers of Incorporations. The club names are easy to find thru the NY Times articles, but their documents Im not sure

I do plan on contacting the NYPL, but I would assume there has to be an archive collection for this alone somewhere else.
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Re: Immigrant Italian Clubs Societies

Post by TerraLavoro »

This is a great idea. What about starting your research with the Offices of the New York Secretary of State? Perhaps they have an archive?
TerraLavoro
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Yes thank you I will check that out
At one point I had seen a website about it, it maybe the place you suggets
I will get back to you

Here in Montreal, its RELATIVELY easy, cause the Archive Center for Quebec, is 20 minutes away, and I can go there often...

(its always a case of having to learn the ins & outs of the various Indexes and how their documents are organized...in NY I imagine its the same thing, except the costs to go there are prohibitive...)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

GOOGLE IT. Peter
~Peter~