russo surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
fatatoni

russo surname

Post by fatatoni »

Hello I am new to the site, for years I have been compiling info on my family but have a hit a roadblock, im sure this is familiar to you. My surname is Russo and my family was born and raised in one house in village of giardino near cosensa or cleto Calabria, formally the porcaria... please if your family comes from that area or near sambiasi, catanzarto. please contact me, thanks
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: russo surname

Post by PeterTimber »

Please obtain a book Italian Genealogical records by Trafford R. Cole either borrowing it from your library or purchasing same from a bookstore. It becomes a book which will help you help us when researching your family. There is no Giardino near Cosenza but there is a Comune CLETO. Go to http://www.tuttitalia.it/calabria/88-cleto for the website and select the http://www.comune... address below the MUNICIPIO column for imformation on the town. Please advise what are your specific research objectives....what are you seeking to find out???? ..Do you want documents like a birth certificate? Peter
~Peter~
fatatoni

Post by fatatoni »

thank you peter.. all of my known ancestors were born in the same house in a village near cleto, as far as I know their births were all registered in cleto. To start I would like to know where they came from before they settled in giardini (porcaria) in the late 1800 hundreds and also who were they. is it possible to get information from the municipal office in cleto.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Sure thing you only have to write to the town Municipal Vital Statistics Office known in Italian as the Stato Civile and request their birth certificates if they were born in Cleto. You might want to request a family certificate which lists all the members of the family if they have such a document in the name of the head of family (usually it is the father of the family and his spouse). this document may reflect if anybody was born elsewhere. Please get the book" Italian Genealogical records" by Trafford R. Cole from your library or off the internet. It is an easy read and great for future reference and orients you to Italy genealogy so that when you write you will know what to request from us. Peter
~Peter~
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
I m pretty sure Cleto use to be called Pietramala and those records are online at familysearch.org the indexes are in back of the year you are searching in
PG LINK TO RECORDS
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043464

How about some names and dates and where they settled in the US and we can help you

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
fatatoni

Post by fatatoni »

thank you, thank you, thank you. Found quite of few bits of info, wish I could read Italian better.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

That's is the reason why I suggested the Trafford genealogy book.Once you get a grasp of the panorama of Italian genealogy the language will become less bothersome. Besides people like Adelfio and others here are well prepared to help out. Peter
~Peter~