Finding birth/baptismal records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
joegov

Finding birth/baptismal records

Post by joegov »

I have been researching birth records in Corleone within the San Martino parish data that are available on-line. The baptismal entries are listed in the index according to the first name of offspring and this works reasonably well when I already know the first names of their children and am looking for birth information about these children. The problem arises when I know the parents' names and am trying to identify birth information about their offspring, but don't know the names of any of their children. Specifically, I know a set of parents in my family tree and am trying to identify any children they had and locate relevant birth information about these children. Is there a reasonable process to use to find birth information about the children of known parents when you don't know children's names? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

JOE
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: Finding birth/baptismal records

Post by Anizio »

Yes, you must browse each record one by one and look at the parents names. If both parents names are correct, you know it is their child.

As a side note, beware: the name of the child is not enough. If you find a birth certificate with the right child's name you should always make sure the father AND mother's names are correct. Remember, in Italy several people having the same first, last, and father's name, isn't exactly rare. Even being born in the same year is possible. Double check everything.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Finding birth/baptismal records

Post by adelfio »

Browse the index for the surname you are researching and since most are arranged by first name copy the page number of the record look at the parents names for that individual
Be glad there are so many church records of Corleone with indexes

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty