Just Starting

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
frankpintosr

Just Starting

Post by frankpintosr »

First, ancestry.com is NOT as easy as they show it on TV. But I am here now and I am gonna get some more details I know it. I am researching Pinto, my last name, and wondering how to get any information. Here is what I can confirm, my great grand father's details

Francesco Pinto - Birth 3 May 1870 in Oratino, Campobasso, Molise, Italy Death 1 Jan 1959 in Staten Island, New York, USA

I think his father was Angelo Pinto and mother was Tommasina Guiliani. He was married twice, his two spouses were sisters from the Gastaldi Family. The first wife was

Gaetana Castaldi - Birth Abt 1870 in Oratino, Campobasso, Molise, Italy Death 6 Jan 1902 in 25 Roosevelt St, New York, New York, USA

Together they had two children

Tommasina Rosa Pinto - Birth Abt 1892 in Oratino, Campobasso, Molise, Italy Death 14 Sep 1905 in Hudson City Hospital, New York, New York, USA

August Pinto - Birth 6 January 1902 in 25 Roosevelt St, New York, New York, USA Death 25 June 1941 in Staten Island, New York, USA

Second wife was

Carmela Castaldi - Birth 18 April 1886 in Oratino, Campobasso, Molise, Italy Death 24 March 1952 in Staten Island, New York, USA

Any help would be deeply appreciated, thank you!!
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Just Starting

Post by JohnArmellino »

Francesco Pinto, age 20, born in Oratino, son of Angelo Maria and Tommasina Giuliani, and Gaetana Castaldo, age 25, born in Campobasso, daughter of Michele and Filomena Moresa, were married on 01 MAR 1891 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d’Italia. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910 (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983-1990), FHL INTL Film 1733314/MATRIMONI 1891/Numero 21, 01 MAR 1891.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

While both your GGF Francesco Pinto and your 2GGF Angelo Maria Pinto were born in Oratino, your Pinto line actually originated in Busso, a small comune located about 5 miles southwest of Oratino (or about 8 miles by car). Angelo Maria Pinto, son of Vincenzo and Maria Carrozzelli, was born 22 DEC 1841 in Oratino, Campobasso, Molise. Regno delle Due Sicilie. Source: Oratino (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1577384/PROCESSETTI 1864/Numero 18/foglio 1, 18 DEC 1864. Vincenzo Pinto, son of Giuseppe and Michela Venditto, was baptized 10 MAY 1804 in Busso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. Source: Oratino (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1577205/PROCESSETTI 1828/Num. 6/foglio 1, 26 JAN 1828. Giuseppe Pinto, son of Domenico and Carmina Frezza, was born circa 1774 in Busso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno di Napoli. Source: Oratino (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1577384/PROCESSETTI 1864/Numero 18/foglio 4, 18 DEC 1864.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Your 2GGM Filomena Moresa was a proietta, or foundling. She was found on or about 24 JAN 1844 and appeared to be about 3 days old. She was given into the care of her wet nurse Angela Rosa Palange, wife of Pasquale Maria Salottolo, who had given birth to a still born infant the previous month. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910 (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983-1990), FHL INTL Film 1424493/DIVERSI: NATI DI PROIETTI 1844/Numero d'ordine 2, 24 JAN 1844.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I did a little research and it appears that we are 9C1R via your Castaldo line. Our common ancestors are Giovanni Domenico Ciaramella and Ippolita Fillipone. Your Line of Descent to Common Ancestor is as follows:

Gaetana Castaldo, born circa 1865
Michele Castaldo, born 1838
Maria Vittoria Catelli, born 1799
Costanzio Antonio Catello, baptized 1750
Agnese Ciaramella, baptized 1725
Domenico Antonio Ciaramella, baptized 1681
Cesare Antonio Ciaramella, baptized 1653
Giovanni Domenico Ciaramella & Ippolita Fillipone, circa 1625

All of the above events occurred in Campobasso.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

In addition to your family lines originating in Oratino, Busso, and Campobasso, as mentioned above, you also have several lines that originated elsewhere. Your 5GGF Giovanni Castaldo was born in Mercogliano, Avellino, Campania in about 1728. Your 4GGM Maria Antonia Petti was born in Torella, Campobasso, Molise in about 1765. Your 7GGF Domenico Catello was born in Gildone in about 1663. Your 4GGM Anna Saveria di Chiocchio was born in Castropignano, Campobasso, Molise in about 1772. Your 5GGF Rocco Carrozzelli was born in Casalciprano, Campobasso, Molise in about 1744. All save for Mercogliano are relatively close to each other. Now you'll have to plan a trip to Molise to visit all of your ancestral towns!
John Armellino
frankpintosr

Post by frankpintosr »

Hi John, this information is amazing! Thank you so very much for sharing! I am actually trying to research the Pinto line, so may I ask how did you find the information you shared? I am trying to locate documents, history, etc. This is coming together as a gift for my Dad :-)
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Send me your email address and I'll send you a report on the Pinto line that will include source information. The sources can be viewed through the Mormon Church website and/or films at their Family History Centers. Go to http://www.familysearch.org for more info. The older information on your Campobasso line was extracted from the church records, which can only be viewed onsite in Campobasso (la cattedrale). Those records do not include any information from other towns.
John Armellino
mikespinetta

Post by mikespinetta »

John This is very interesting I was searching family names and town in Italy tracing my family line on my mothers side. Francesco Pinto and his second wife Carmella were my grandparents . My mom Marie Pinto was their youngest daughter born in 1930 in Staten Island . I knew my Grandfather came from Oratino. My Grandparents passed before I was born so I have limited knowledge. I think there were Castaldi relatives in NJ
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

What was your Grandfather's name? Any other infoirmation about him?
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I have a Francesco Pinto of Oratino in my database, He was born circa 1870 and was married to Gaetana Castaldo. I have one child: Augusto, born 06 JAN 1902 in New York.
John Armellino
mikespinetta

Post by mikespinetta »

Hi John Francesco Pinto of Oratino is my Grandfather how would i go about finding out if i have any relatives living in the region of italy . I am planning a trip for next year and would love to get some more history