Dinoto and Greco

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Dinoto and Greco

Post by cuppare »

I would like to find information on Carmelo Greco, b. 3 Oct 1881, Siracusa, Italy and his wife, Maria Dinoto, b. 14 Apr 1888, Siracusa. (Date of marriage from original document; Provincia di Siracusa, Circondario di Siracusa, Stato Civile di Famiglia, 19 April 1909). Passports show they came to America in 1909. Carmelo Greco's parents were Salvatore Greco and Salvatrice Miceli, Maria Dinoto's parents were Luciano DiNoto and Teresa Greco, but we have no further information on this family. Is anyone else researching this family line?
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Dinoto and Greco

Post by VaDeb »

There are records of birth, marriage and death that you can research by using microfilm from the LDS church. Covers 1820-1929.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi there,

Here is the ship's manifest with Camelo and wife coming to the USA.

First Name: Carmelo
Last Name: Greco
Ethnicity: Italy South
Last Place of Residence: Siracusa, Sicily
Date of Arrival: Jun 05, 1909
Age at Arrival: 27y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Campania
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0016

Page 1

Page 2

By any chance did Camelo come to the USA twice? I thought this mainfest was interesting.

Camelo Greco 1907 manifest

Per the manifests, the family was going to Utica, NY; did the family stay in Utica or did they settle somewhere else?

Here is the WWI Draft information:

Name: Camelo Greco
City: Utica
County: Oneida
State: New York
Birth Date: 3 Oct 1881
Race: White
Roll: 1819117
DraftBoard: 1

Also, VaDeb gave out great information about the microfilm.

I hope some of this helps.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi Again,

I know someone will post this for me, but here is the information for the 1910 census for Camelo and Maria along with sister-in-law, Augustina DiNoto(?spelling).

U.S. Census
1910 United States Federal Census
New York
Oneida County
5-Wd Utica
District 115
Sheet 21A
Image 41

I hope this helps some.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cuppare »

Thank you! I did have the ship manifest info and he did come over twice. Family oral history states that he was going to go to Egypt, but a friend told me to go to America instead. I believe that after his first trip to America, he came back and married Maria and then they both came to America. They were in Utica, NY (their daughter was born there), but I don't know who they were meeting up with in Utica NY. They later moved to the Rochester NY area.

I don't understand the WWI draft information. He became a naturalized citizen of the USA in 1943 at age 62.
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cuppare »

Maria's sister was Angelina, who married Enrico DiNatale. To date, I had only found them on the 1920 and 1930 census. Sometimes, the names are so mangled that it's hard to tell if it's an ancestor or not.....
Thank you!
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

brujaojos wrote:Hi Again,

I know someone will post this for me, but here is the information for the 1910 census for Camelo and Maria along with sister-in-law, Augustina DiNoto(?spelling).

http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/8044 ... cam7nc.gif
U.S. Census

1910 United States Federal Census
New York
Oneida County
5-Wd Utica
District 115
Sheet 21A
Image 41

I hope this helps some.
Trish
The viewable 1910 census Trish found is linked, check it out!
mfjp :P
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cuppare »

Thank you for linking the 1910 census for me to look at. I appreciate all your help!
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cuppare »

Regarding this 1910 census for Utica.
Line 2 is Carmelo Greco and Line 3 is his wife Maria.
I'm having some difficulty reading the handwriting:
Nativity - looks like "IT" (maybe for Italy), but I can't figure out the rest of it.
Occupation - Carmelo was a tailor, manuf.. Maria was a ______ in manufacturing.
Zooming in just makes it into large digital squares. Can anyone read this better than I can?
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

cuppare wrote:Regarding this 1910 census for Utica.
I'm having some difficulty reading the handwriting:
Nativity - looks like "IT" (maybe for Italy), but I can't figure out the rest of it.
Zooming in just makes it into large digital squares. Can anyone read this better than I can?
Hi Again,

the 1910 Census states.....
Carmelo, age 28, married only once, he was born in Italy, Parents both born in Italy, he came about 1909 and is considered an alien (meaning he didn't file for Naturalization yet), occupation is a tailor in a manufacturing plant.

Maria, age 24 (looks like 24 or it could be 26), married once, she was born in Italy, Parents both born in Italy, she came over about 1909, I can't make out her occupation but it's in a manufacturing plant also.

The same goes for Angelina, age 18, came to the about 1910, she was born in Italy, parents were born in Italy, and she has the same occupation as Maria.

Maybe somebody has better eyes, than me. However, I would like to guess that it too had something to do with tailor and seamstress work.

Hope this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cuppare »

brujaojos wrote:
cuppare wrote:Regarding this 1910 census for Utica.
I'm having some difficulty reading the handwriting
Hi Again,

the 1910 Census states.....
Carmelo, age 28, married only once, he was born in Italy, Parents both born in Italy, he came about 1909 and is considered an alien (meaning he didn't file for Naturalization yet), occupation is a tailor in a manufacturing plant.

Maria, age 24 (looks like 24 or it could be 26), married once, she was born in Italy, Parents both born in Italy, she came over about 1909, I can't make out her occupation but it's in a manufacturing plant also.

The same goes for Angelina, age 18, came to the about 1910, she was born in Italy, parents were born in Italy, and she has the same occupation as Maria.

Maybe somebody has better eyes, than me. However, I would like to guess that it too had something to do with tailor and seamstress work.

Hope this helps,
Trish
Possibly Maria (DiNoto) Greco and her sister, Angelina DiNoto) DiNatale were staying in the same house/apt when they first came. I agree with you, that Maria was working in manufacturing, same as her husband. In 1910, she would still very new to this country and I can't see her going off on her own to work somewhere else, when she could probably not speak the language very well. Sadly, she died in 1921 at the age of 33.
I wish the census would give the specific town she was from to corroborate that she was from Siracusa.
Thank you for trying to help me read this!
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

cuppare wrote:I wish the census would give the specific town she was from to corroborate that she was from Siracusa.
Thank you for trying to help me read this!
Hi again,

If you are talking about Maria with the above comment, she was from Siracusa. The Ship's Manifest states both her and Carmelo were born in Siracusa (page 2 of manifest) and last residence was Siracusa (page 1 of manifest). Plus the manifest states the fathers' names for both Carmelo and Maria.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cuppare »

Sorry - I was thinking of provinces when I wrote that....dumb of me.
You're right; both father's names match the first names that I have on their civil marriage certificate from Siracusa.
I'm overwhelmed by all the responses and help everyone is giving me.
I'm thinking my next step is to send a request to Siracusa for their birth records. But, I was just rummaging through the box of documents I received from the family found this beat up paper in the files entitled "Consiglio di Leva del Circondario di Siracusa; Leva sui giovani nati Nell'ano 1881; Dichiarazione di Riforma" But I can't read Italian, darn it - could this be a birth record?
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cuppare »

I have Carmelo Greco coming over to the US twice from Italy.

Is there a way to find out when he went back to Italy? (date, what ship, etc.)

The Ellis Island website only lets me view arriving passengers.

cuppare