Arcidiocesi di Palermo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adelfio
Master
Master

Arcidiocesi di Palermo

Post by adelfio »

I have good luck for earlier church records 1775-1810 going through for Palermo diocese
Arcidiocesi di Palermo
Archivio Storico Diocesano
Corso Vittorio Emanuele,463
90143 Palermo
Italy
I did send a 20 dollar bill with as a donation and I had a answer within a month on my Baptismal records

Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Re: Arcidiocesi di Palermo

Post by TriciaFierro »

Great tip Marty! Happy to hear you had such success! :)
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Hi Marty,
The Palermo church records (going back to the 1500s for some parishes) are now available for order at the LDS family history centers. I sent a request that they post these online to familysearch in browsable format as there is no master index and the Palermo diocese itself covers dozens of churches. LDS said they would seek permission of the archdiocese and would upload the files to familysearch if permission is granted.
In the meantime, I notice back in 2011 you wrote to the archdiocese for records. Did you know the name of the parish where the acts took place? Will the archdiocese actually do the research if one doesn't know which parish? Do you know if the archdiocese have some sort of master index of all the parish records?
Also, I will be in Palermo in June and would like to secure permission to do my own research if they cannot do it for me. Does anyone have experience with onsite research in the Palermo archdiocesan archives?
Thanks!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

What section of Palermo are you looking for mine was in section Sant Agata and the church was Santa Maria della Pietà Church Archive very clear records
HERE IS ONE OF THEM
antoniomarriage.jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

I'm really not sure where he was born. My 5th GGF died in Palermo in 1817, an unfortunate three years before the city adopted the civil records. Here is what I know (from the marriage allegati of his son, my 4th GGF (who thankfully got married a second time or I would have never found these)).
1. My 4th GGF was baptized at Santa Croce in 1786. I have a copy - not the original - from the marriage allegati.
2. His mother (my 5th GGM) died in 1799. The death was registered at S. Ippolyta Martire di Siralcadiis. (Again, not the original - from the allegati copy). It does not name her parents.
3. His father (my 5th GGF) died in 1817 and the death was registered at Santa Croce. (Again, from the marriage allegati). It does not name his parents.
I seek to extend the line for my 5th GGPs.
I ordered the microfilm from the Palermo Cathedral hoping it would contain a master index, and have gone through several years of it. It does not appear to contain a master index.
Sadly, however, the Santa Croce film selections are limited; baptisms end at 1566. LDS has extensive film is for a parish called "S. Ippolyta del Capo" instead of "S. Ippolyta Martire di Siralcadiis." Not sure if it's the same parish and the name was changed or whether it's completely different. I could write the diocese and ask, I suppose.
Given the obstacles, a master index would be great, if such exists.
Have you or anyone else done in-person research at the Palermo arcidiocesi?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Ask Marcello he is from the area and knows the church records

Marty

Marty
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

After a bit of digging, good news. For those interested in on-site research in Palermo, the archdiosan archives are open to the public, and offer reproduction and translation services for a fee. Here is the link: http://www.asdpa.diocesipa.it/
Marcello_DAleo
Master
Master

Post by Marcello_DAleo »

sforza wrote:After a bit of digging, good news. For those interested in on-site research in Palermo, the archdiosan archives are open to the public, and offer reproduction and translation services for a fee. Here is the link: http://www.asdpa.diocesipa.it/
The archive is open to the public. It means you can go there in person and do the research. But not all the ancient Church Archives of Palermo are in the Diocese archive...
Visit my web site!
Southern Italy Genealogical Center
http://www.sicilygenealogy.com/
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Yes, I noticed that. There is a listing of the parishe collections on the site. Do you know if they have compiled a master index of the collections they do have?