Caronia, Messina - cemetery search

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
italygal

Caronia, Messina - cemetery search

Post by italygal »

Am trying to locate where triplet infants from around the turn of the century (1900-1905) may have been buried in Caronia, Messina, Sicily. Can anyone help with names of local cemeteries or church graveyards that I may write to? Also, where would I write for death records from that period? I have their parents names and date of marriage but no other information on the babies.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Caronia, Messina - cemetery search

Post by ricbru »

If you want to know the cemetery records of thos babies, you need to know their names and date of death, otherwise it is not possible to find them.

You can contact this addresses (for vital records)

Comune
Ufficio di Stato civile
- Via Idria, 1
98072 Caronia (ME)

or

Archivio di Stato
Via 24 Maggio isol. 291, n.18 -
98122 Messina

for cametery records

Comune
Ufficio servizi cimiteriali
Via Idria, 1
98072 Caronia (ME)

I hope it helps, bye ricbru
italygal

Post by italygal »

Thanks for replying. I have those addresses but no more information on the babies other than a funeral photo. I appear to be at a standstill regarding the mother's (my great grandmother) records. I was trying to approach this from another angle. My sister and I have a trip planned for next fall, so we may have to do this in person.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi,

Have you considered researching from microfilm?

Steps on obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center by Trish

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581

To find out what research film is available, search here

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Hopefully someone who's researched your ancestral town will read this and help you further.

Best of luck,
mfjp
italygal

Post by italygal »

Thanks - we actually have a Family History Center within 1/2 hour of my home. Our schedules are not compatible so I will need to take some time off from work to get there. I was hoping to have some more information to bring there. I will check it out as soon as I can. I've been on their website and found all that I could without "human" guidance. I will check out your links to see if I missed anything.
Madonna

Post by Madonna »

I have been writing about that area of Sicily and came across a famous church that houses a statue of The Black Madonna in Tindari, Messina. It is located on a hilltop and I'll bet you anything it has a churchyard with graves dating back to that time.
I just don't know who you would contact about names and dates of the deceased. Maybe someone who reads this posting can help...