Help with response from Archivo di Stato di Benevento

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kaygee

Help with response from Archivo di Stato di Benevento

Post by kaygee »

Hello all,

I am very excited that I have received a response from the Archivo di Stato di Benevento regarding my 2nd GGF's birth certificate. I understand some of what this says (they have located the birth certificate and will send me a copy either on paper or of varying quality electronically, and I have to send the corresponding amount in euros), but I'm not quite sure what to do next. I want to make sure I understand the payment details exactly so I don't make a mistake.

Is anyone here familiar with paying for documents with Western Union? Are there any tips or tricks I should know about? I have attached the letter.

Thank you all in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Re: Help with response from Archivo di Stato di Benevento

Post by Anizio »

What exactly did you request? I have never been asked to pay for a birth act from a state archive, and I have requested dozens, and even gather several in person.

Did you ask for a "copia integrale" "in carta libera" - a photocopy on free, unofficial, paper?

ALWAYS ask for that, not "certificati" or "estratti" - those will not give you all of the relevant information.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
kaygee

Post by kaygee »

I used a slightly modified version of the letter on Il Circolo Calabrese. I said this:

"Vi sarei molto grato se poteste spedirmi l'estratto dell'atto di nascita di Pasquale Sansone, in carta libera. Nato il 13 febbraio 1861."
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

The Archivo di Stato di Benevento charge for the copy and postage also Archivo di Stato di Palermo charges
I sent cash euro and had no problem before
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

For such a small amount, cash will likely do.

In the future do not ask for extracts (estratto), ask for copies (copia integrale). I know a lot of books, websites, and people will recommend you ask for extracts but literal photocopies or digital copies of the record is much better as it can contain useful information like signatures, witnesses, notes, and more than are not revealed on extracts. In the future I recommend you always request "copia integrale"
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
kaygee

Post by kaygee »

That is very helpful advice, thank you. I would much prefer copies, I just did not know the correct terminology for what I was looking for.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Anizio wrote:For such a small amount, cash will likely do.

In the future do not ask for extracts (estratto), ask for copies (copia integrale). I know a lot of books, websites, and people will recommend you ask for extracts but literal photocopies or digital copies of the record is much better as it can contain useful information like signatures, witnesses, notes, and more than are not revealed on extracts. In the future I recommend you always request "copia integrale"
The correct wording is "Estratto per copia integrale"

Btw the letter you received states that they will only send photocopies of the documents. The cost for each copy is 3€ for a .jpg format (100dpi) or 6€ for a .tiff format (300dpi) + 1.5€ for printing it. The shipment will be 3.3€ for regular mail or 5.6€ for registered mail.
You need to send them the money through Western Union, beneficiary:
De Martino Luigi born in Benevento 21 Dec 1959, fiscal code DMR LGU 59T21 A783N
C/O Archivio di Stato di Benevento, Via G de Vita #3, 82100 Benevento