Marriage 1700-early 1800's

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Lettorio

Marriage 1700-early 1800's

Post by Lettorio »

These questions pertain to Marriage/birth/death records in Napoli region (Montecalvario).
A 6th Ggrandfather (1758-1813) and his wife-listed in Batismal records as married have a child-actually 3. At the same time he had 3 children by his 'legitmate wife".
His death record indicates he was the vedova of... and was married to.....
All the children by the first marriage are baptized in one Church and the second set are baptized at another Church.-also different addresses
Each set of children indicate the same father and that particular mother in the marriage Proceedings several years late.
All children seem to keep in contact with each other-in fact several give testimony for each other in births/weddings /deaths. "
Questions:
-was there such a thing as a common law wife
Will a priest baptize a child even though the parents-although present-may not married?
Another aside-one child gets married 1814- marriage was scheduled for 1812-his father died as did his mother in late 1813-yet there is no death certificate in the marriage proceedings-in fact both parent have given written consent in early 1813.

I also noted the ancestor I am referring to- wellhis father has 2 "wives'- and he followed the same procedure-children all the same ages, etc.

Anything that could possible shed a clearer light on this would be much appreciated :oops:
Carolyn
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Marriage 1700-early 1800's

Post by liviomoreno »

From what I understand this person was married to woman A with whom he had 3 children, when A died (he became vedovo) he married woman B and had 3 children. I don't see a problem with that. Obviously I cannot be 100% sure without seeing the documents you are referring to.
Lettorio

Post by Lettorio »

Oh were it that easy.
The birth records indicate Pietro was"married" at the same time to both women-children are the same ages.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

This kind of thing still goes on. Here's a case as recent as 2013. The bigamist groom is from Palermo. The bride just received her annulment from the Catholic church and is free to start over.
http://www.ansa.it/english/news/2015/04 ... 94587.html