Translation -Conterio

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
saestes

Translation -Conterio

Post by saestes »

Here is my attempt at interpreting and translating a baptismal certificate. I have been unable to attach the Atti Battesimi TIFF file. Any additions or corrections would be welcomed.

CONTERIO
MARIA ELENA

L’anno del Signore mille ottocento ottanta il ventitre del mese di Febbraio, e stata presentato alla Chiesa una fanciulla nata il ventuno del mese di Febbraio alle ore quattro pomeridiane, figlia di Battista del La Gisanni nativo di Locana, e della Vallino Maria Margherita del fu Battista ____ nativa di Locana, coniugi Conterio domiciliati in Locana, cui si amministro il Battesimo, da MSR. Milano Antonio V. Paroco, e si imposero i nomi Maria Elena, essendo padrino Giacherio Francesco fu Antonio, e madrina Maria Elena figli di Antonio Gotta, rappresentati da ________.

L’indicazione della nascita con richiesta del Battesimo fu fatta da ___

Firma del Richiedente Firma del Parroco
Conterio Battista Dinetti Arciprete

CERTIFICATE of BAPTISM

In the year of Our Lord 1880, on the 23d of the month of February, there was presented at the Church a child born on the 21st of February at four pm, the daughter of Battista ___ , of the Gisanni, a native of Locana, and of Maria Margherita Vallino, the wife of Battista, a native of Locana, the spouses Conterio living in Locana, upon whom I, Monsignor Antonio V. Milano, Parish Priest, administered Baptism, and imposed the names Maria Elena, there being the godfather Francesco Giacherio, of the Antonio, and godmother Maria Elena, daughter of Antonis Gotta, representatives _____.

The information of the birth and the request for the Baptism was made by __________.

Signature of Requestor Signature of Priest
Battista Conterio Archpriest Dinetti
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Translation -Conterio

Post by ricbru »

pretty fine translation

bye ricbru :lol:
saestes

Post by saestes »

Thanks ricbru

Here are Image Shack links to the original document.

Stew
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Here's another link for your document

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/3327 ... rio2jq.jpg

Hope this helps

Seasons' Greetings!

mfjp
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

Hello Stew.

Your translation was good. I took the freedom to correct some little mistakes in the Italian transcription, and morevoer to clarify the mother's paternity in your English version: You were probably baffled by the fact Maria Margherita Vallino happened to have her husband and her father sharing the same first-name (Battista): but they were obviously two different people.
Also, in case you have a genealogical line in Locana and need to do further researches, don't understimate the annotation on the left: "Boschietto" (as "Piantonetto" in the act above) is the name of one of the circa 90 small Hamlets of the Comune of Locana, which is a mountain town of North Western Piemonte, close to the French border (I know that 'cause I live in the area). The territory was so vast (for our Italian standard, at least), that priests evidently felt the need to remark the name of the hamlet (something quite uncommon at that time): so, should you have a line in Locana, knowing which hamlet your family lived could make faster or more validated some steps of your research.

Hope this helps.
Ciao,
Maurizio

[CONTERIO
MARIA ELENA

L’anno del Signore mille ottocento ottanta il ventitre del mese di Febbraio, é stata presentata alla Chiesa una fanciulla nata il ventuno del mese di Febbraio alle ore quattro pomeridiane, figlia di Battista del fu Gioanni nativo di Locana, e della Vallino Maria Margherita del fu Battista nativa di Locana, coniugi Conterio, domiciliati in Locana, cui si amministro il Battesimo, dal Sac.(=sacerdote) Milano Antonio V. Parroco, e si imposero i nomi Maria Elena, essendo padrino Giacherio Francesco fu Antonio, e madrina Maria Elena figlia di Antonio Gotta, rappresentati da ________.

L’indicazione della nascita con richiesta del Battesimo fu fatta dal Padre della neonata.
Firma del Richiedente Firma del Parroco
Conterio Battista Dinetti Arciprete

CERTIFICATE of BAPTISM

In the year of Our Lord 1880, on the 23d of the month of February, there was presented at the Church a child born on the 21st of February at four pm, the daughter of Battista [Conterio, son] of the late Giovanni [Conterio], a native of Locana, and of Maria Margherita Vallino, [daugther]of Battista [Vallino], a native of Locana, spouses Conterio living in Locana,
upon whom I, Priest Antonio V. Milano vice-Parish Priest, administered Baptism, and imposed the names Maria Elena, there being godfather Francesco Giacherio, of the late Antonio, and godmother Maria Elena, daughter of [the living]Antonio Gotta, represented by _____.

The information of the birth and the request for the Baptism was made by the newborn's father.

Signature of Requestor Signature of Priest
Battista Conterio Archpriest Dinetti[/quote]