I've come accross the same destination address on at least 5 ships manifests over the past several days.
A coincidence?
801 Webster Ave, Pittsburgh
Two of the 5 immigrants are probably from the same family.
The other 3 don't appear to be related at all.
None of the 'staying with' names are the same.
I can't locate anyone by name using the census in Ancestry and HeritageQuest at this address.
The years span 1903 - 1921.
Has anyone seen this before? the same address popping up in odd places?
Dumb question - did immigrants share common adresses?
I checked the platt book for 801 Webster Ave, Pittsburgh for 1903 and 1923, same owner probably a landlord?
Thanks!
Oddity? - ship manifests with common 'going to address&
Re: Oddity? - ship manifests with common 'going to addr
Hi Valerie,
No this is not uncommon.
An example would be here in Philadelphia.
Frank Palumbo sponsored many people. When you looked on the manifests you would see 9th & Christian Streets or 926 Christian Street.
Frank Palumbo helped thousands of Italians come to Philadelphia. He sponsored Italian immigrants, he found them jobs, he even had a boarding house to give immigrants shelter. Not only did help immigrants, he was a big fund raiser for sick children of Philadelphia as well as the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP). He would send the children to the zoo, Phillies games as well as donate money to help their cause. He was a great man. So when you see 926..... You know they were going to Frank's place.
I'm sure many other cities had the same set with someone who was so willing and so dedicated to help.
I hope this answers your question.
Trish
No this is not uncommon.
An example would be here in Philadelphia.
Frank Palumbo sponsored many people. When you looked on the manifests you would see 9th & Christian Streets or 926 Christian Street.
Frank Palumbo helped thousands of Italians come to Philadelphia. He sponsored Italian immigrants, he found them jobs, he even had a boarding house to give immigrants shelter. Not only did help immigrants, he was a big fund raiser for sick children of Philadelphia as well as the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP). He would send the children to the zoo, Phillies games as well as donate money to help their cause. He was a great man. So when you see 926..... You know they were going to Frank's place.
I'm sure many other cities had the same set with someone who was so willing and so dedicated to help.
I hope this answers your question.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Re: Oddity? - ship manifests with common 'going to addr
Trish,
Thank you!
That makes so much sense.
I appreciate your help.
Valarie
Thank you!
That makes so much sense.
I appreciate your help.
Valarie
Re: Oddity? - ship manifests with common 'going to addr
Yes in New York they had the same thing..If you notice alot of people going to same address on Mulberry St. I would have to assume same thing, help with jobs and a place to stay. For along time Mulberry St. was part of Little Italy in New York, could stll be.


