Clarification Needed on Occupation - Dottor di Legge?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Clarification Needed on Occupation - Dottor di Legge?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Looking at Death Record No 180, I am reading (Don) Giuseppe Argenzio's occupation to be “Dottor di Legge” - Doctor of the Law? Is that correct?
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
Thank you for any clarification.
Angela :)
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Clarification Needed on Occupation - Dottor di Legge?

Post by PippoM »

Now we would say "dottore in legge", that is, a graduate who studied law (to become a lawyer, a judge...)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

PippoM wrote:Now we would say "dottore in legge", that is, a graduate who studied law (to become a lawyer, a judge...)
Thank you, Pippo.
Angela
asearch2find

Post by asearch2find »

It's the same as the U.S. version, "Juris Doctor." When one graduates law school, you receive a J.D. degree. (Doctor of Laws.)
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

asearch2find wrote:It's the same as the U.S. version, "Juris Doctor." When one graduates law school, you receive a J.D. degree. (Doctor of Laws.)
Thank you. I'm not familiar with the American system but what I am understanding from you is that the J.D. degree is an undergraduate degree and not a postgraduate degree.
PippoM wrote:Now we would say "dottore in legge", that is, a graduate who studied law (to become a lawyer, a judge...)
I was wondering whether Pippo may have been saying that it is a postgraduate degree in Italy?

It would be interesting to learn more about Dottore di Legge's education and role in the early to mid 1800s.

Thank you again for your replies.
Angela
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

:( Here come my usual problems with English language, I think I have some problem with the word "graduate"...what I meant is that a "dottore in legge" must have studied Law at University...when he/she finishes his study he is a "dottore in legge"

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Pippo, I believe you understand the meaning of the word “graduate”, as we are using it here, perfectly. Your English and English comprehension is very good, and so much beter than my Italian should be. Thank you for re-explaining the meaning of “Dottore di Legge”. You explained it well the first time too, but for some reason I didn't quite understand. I believe that we are now all “on the same page”, me included.
Angela :)
DCPandaFan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DCPandaFan »

In the United States, law school is a 3-year course of study that follows completion of the 4-year undergraduate bachelors degree. Thus, a new lawyer is at least 25 years old, and often older.
When will Italy get Giant Pandas?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

DCPandaFan wrote:In the United States, law school is a 3-year course of study that follows completion of the 4-year undergraduate bachelors degree. Thus, a new lawyer is at least 25 years old, and often older.
Thank you for your feedback. I think that initially the US law degree was known as the Bachelor of Laws (LLB), which is the same name used by the UK, New Zealand, Australia etc........but the systems and requirements are somewhat different..........I know that for any student in any country undertaking a law degree it is a huge commitment, with many hours of hard work, requiring "high achievement" throughout the course of study.

I would like to know about the Law Degree study requirements in Italy, esp during the early to mid 1800s, and where someone from the province of Potenza may have studied back then.

Also, I would like to know, is there a difference betwen "Avvocato" (lawyer) and Dottore di Legge (Doctor of the Law).

Angela
asearch2find

Post by asearch2find »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:
asearch2find wrote:It's the same as the U.S. version, "Juris Doctor." When one graduates law school, you receive a J.D. degree. (Doctor of Laws.)
Thank you. I'm not familiar with the American system but what I am understanding from you is that the J.D. degree is an undergraduate degree and not a postgraduate degree.

A J.D. degree(Juris Doctor) is a postgraduate law degree.
I was wondering whether Pippo may have been saying that it is a postgraduate degree in Italy?

It would be interesting to learn more about Dottore di Legge's education and role in the early to mid 1800s.

Thank you again for your replies.
Angela
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:
I would like to know about the Law Degree study requirements in Italy, esp during the early to mid 1800s, and where someone from the province of Potenza may have studied back then.
I can't say exactly what the requirements were at that time, but I think they were more or less the same as now: four years at University. I also think the nearest Jurisprudence faculty was in Naples (It is one of the most ancient in Italy)
Also, I would like to know, is there a difference betwen "Avvocato" (lawyer) and Dottore di Legge (Doctor of the Law).
[/color]
Yes, there is. After graduating, you are a "dottore in Legge". Then, you have to do internship with a lawyer for, if I remember, two years. After that, you have to pass an exam to become an "avvocato".
Angela

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Wonderful! Thank you so much Pippo.
Angela :D