Help with Birth Record from Gioiosa Jonica

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
rootspursuits

Help with Birth Record from Gioiosa Jonica

Post by rootspursuits »

I am having a problem reading the script on this birth record. I can see who the parents are - Vincenzo Commisso age 32 and Marianna Filomena Mazzeferro, but I know there is more information to be had. I think Vincenzo's father is Giambattista. Does it give his mother's name. Who are Marianna's parents? Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
Carmela Commisso
Carmela Commisso
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Help with Birth Record from Gioiosa Jonica

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I'm finding that I can't blow this up to read without it going out of focus but this is what I can add to what you already have.

Yes Vincenzo's father is Giambattista. Vincenzo's occupation looks like "bovaro" - ox driver.
Marianna's father was Rocco.
Carmela Angela was born on 24 October.
Side note: Marries Luigi Romeo 1895 or 1896.

Only the couple's fathers are named. Do you have a link to the record?

Angela :)
rootspursuits

Post by rootspursuits »

No, I do not have a link to the record. I got it from a microfilm thru LDS. Thank you for your efforts.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The name of the baby seems to Carmela Angiola (not Angela).
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

rootspursuits wrote:No, I do not have a link to the record. I got it from a microfilm thru LDS. Thank you for your efforts.
That's fine, I thought that might be the case. You are very welcome for the help.
liviomoreno wrote:The name of the baby seems to Carmela Angiola (not Angela).
You are absolutely right Livio, it is Carmela Angiola. As always, thank you for the backup.

Angela :D
rootspursuits

Post by rootspursuits »

Does this close up help?
Attachments
Carmela Commisso scan cropped.jpg
Carmela Commisso scan cropped.jpg (42.67 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi there

No this image is no better. It is possibly the way it has been scanned. When I scan my records I always make sure that I can decipher the letters before I scan them. I'm not sure what sort of scanner you are using, or if you are even using one, but it pays to spend some time getting the focus etc perfect first. Of course, some scanners are way better than others. If you are using a scanner, what type are you using?

I'm pretty sure I have extracted all the vital information needed for genealogical purposes from this record, and Livio has had a look at it as well.

Angela :D
rootspursuits

Post by rootspursuits »

I am using the scanner at the LDS library that is hooked up to the microfilm reader. The equipment is old and I tried to get it as focused as I could before hitting the scan button. It took me several tries to get it as good is this. I even took a picture with my camera, but that was even worse. thanks.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Happy to help. Those older microfilm readers can be really time consuming and don't always give such a good image. Some towns have Associate Libraries with upmarket readers/scanners. I'm not needing to order films anymore, because mine are all on line, but when I was getting films out, I had them sent to an Associate Library, where they had modern reader/scanners. They make a huge difference. It's just a thought if you haven't already explored other options for viewing and scanning. Well done though, with what you are having to work with.