ACQUISTUCCI: DECLARED INTENTION

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
gammie

ACQUISTUCCI: DECLARED INTENTION

Post by gammie »

I'm trying to find my grandfather Samuel, he said he"Declared his Intention", he was not naturalized. Will this Declaration give me his true Italian name? Where do I search for this? Thanks anyone, Gammie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: ACQUISTUCCI: DECLARED INTENTION

Post by VaDeb »

The answer to where to search depends on alot of variables.

What year (approximately) did he file his Declaration of Intent? If it was after 1906 you should be able to file a FOIA request with INS and get a copy of it.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-639.htm

If you can determine what court the Declaration of Intent was filed in, you can find a copy with that court - or where ever they archive these records.

The regional NARA branch may have a copy, if they are the depository of the archived records.

There maybe an index held by a local genealogical society, website or even ancesty.com

If this was pre-1906 you have to determine the court (local, state or federal), find where they archive the records and the procedure to get access. INS does not have copies for pre 1906 records.

A good book is "They Became Americans - Finding Naturalization and Etheic Origins" by Loretto Dennis Szucs. It explains the process of tracking down the records.

So, do you know about when and where this naturalization took place?
gammie

Post by gammie »

Debbie, thank you for such a quick answer. According to the 1920 census, he came in 1910. It could be Pa, WVA or MI. I am not sure. JoAnn
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Time to start researching and tracking down the Declaration.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi,

I do have a manifest of interest... but need answers from you...

Here's what went unanswered...
mfjp wrote:Hi,

Have read all 3 posts you created... and it would be nice to find further info...

Could you provide his year of birth? Where settled... etc.

You mentioned that you have his 1920 census record... how did they list his full name?

Seems like Samuel is a popular name... just want to zero in on the correct person...

Please try to stick to one post... as it will be harder for us to follow...

mfjp
mfjp
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Gammie,

Just in case you didn't know. Too reply to this thread, click on the post reply button on the top left side of this page.

The new topic button will start a new thread. As Maria stated it is very hard to follow a post when each request is a new thread.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

gammie wrote:I'm trying to find my grandfather Samuel, he said he"Declared his Intention", he was not naturalized. Will this Declaration give me his true Italian name? Where do I search for this? Thanks anyone, Gammie
I also suggest you to contact the local library where Samuel Aqcuistucci use to live.
My ancestor naturalization records is in the local library, in Louisiana, thanks to some volonteers.
Just try, you never know... :roll:
bye Riccardo :lol:
gammie

Post by gammie »

Hi everyone, first I would like to apoligize for the way I have been answering, I think I have it now. This is what I know:
1920 Wayne Co, Mi Census lists:
Samuel Gustus, wife Anna, son John (my father), daughter Ester.
I have his death certificate, but it has a lot of "unknown" on it.
I have their marriage certificate, they went to MD to get married. Really no info, but both lied about their ages.
Sam was born 12 Mar 1890, died 16 Nov 1940 Detroit, Wayne, MI.
I am looking into his Declaration of Intent now, thanks to Debbie.
The 1920 census states he came in 1920. But, family stories say he came into NY, but he and his cousins Mark jumped ship, but it could just be a story. My Aunt Ester was born in Hamtramck, Mi. My Dad was born in Allegheny Co, PA. The marriage Certificate says their resident was WVA, I know a lot of the family were in Wheeling.
I hope I have answered everyones questions. I sure appreciate the help. I am trying to get from Gustus to Acquistucci, that is my biggest problem. JoAnn
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Gammie,

Glad you figured out how to reply to posts. It makes it much easier to communicate. The details you posted aslo help.

Let me start with this WWI draft card for Samuel Gustus: This card also gives his place of birth in Italy!! "Something" Ascoli. Hopefully someone can help with the name.

Name: Samuel Gustus
City: Detroit
County: Wayne
State: Michigan
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 17 Mar 1890
Race: White
Roll: 2024026
DraftBoard: 6

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/3752/samuel4os.jpg

Now we know he was in the USA by June 1917. I will be back with some more census information (hopefully)
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

1920 Census:

Is this the correct family??? Note it is indexed much differently than what you listed.

Name: Samue Tustus
[Samuel Tustin]
Estimated birth year: abt 1891
Home in 1920: Highland Park, Wayne, Michigan
Home owned: Rent
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1910

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/6650/19200ng.jpg

Notice wife is born in Pennsylvania, but listed as an alien. Children 4+ and 3+ both born in Michigan.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

VaDeb wrote:Hi Gammie,

Glad you figured out how to reply to posts. It makes it much easier to communicate. The details you posted aslo help.

Let me start with this WWI draft card for Samuel Gustus: This card also gives his place of birth in Italy!! "Something" Ascoli. Hopefully someone can help with the name.

Name: Samuel Gustus
City: Detroit
County: Wayne
State: Michigan
Birth Date: 17 Mar 1890
Roll: 2024026
DraftBoard: 6

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/3752/samuel4os.jpg

Now we know he was in the USA by June 1917. I will be back with some more census information (hopefully)
The draft card says born in Capodaqua, province of Ascoli.
Capodacqua is an hamlet of Arquata del Tronto, province of Ascoli Piceno.
Now that you have the right date and place of birth ,request his birth record or birth certificate or birth act and write to:

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Umberto I
63043 Arquata Del Tronto (AP)
Italy

or to

Archivio di Stato di Ascoli Piceno

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
gammie

Post by gammie »

HI, I looked at the census again, but all I can tell you is, my maiden name was Gustus, as was the marriage certificate. Another little problem is that Sam was not a great guy, I was 3 when he died, so never knew him. I did catch the errors on the census, but then took it in stride as a lot of census do have errors. I think I will try to send for a birth certificate, even if I am not sure of his last name, can't hurt. In the 1930 census, my grandmother Ann is listed with children, stating she was a widow, but she wasn't, she was just mad! I sure appreciate you guys.
Deb, if I write for the declaration of intent, is the same place place as naturalizations (the web you sent me)? I got a little confused. Gammie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Gammie,

Does theWWI draft card fit the SAm you are looking for?

I don't understand about your reply of the 1920 census. The census was indexed as Tustus, but the actual handwriting looks more like Gustus to me. Do the wife and children names and ages match what you know about this family? You have to look at a census and evalutae it as a whole and not get hung up on one detail.

Did you look at the actual image (by clicking on the link) or just the written index? Do you think this is the correct family you are searching?

Could you provide a link for the 1930 census you have? Or tell us the name, where found (ancestry, genealogy, hertiage quest) and state, county and town so we can find it and compare.

I am trying to help you, but in order to do that you have to help us. We are here to facilate research, not do it all for you.
gammie

Post by gammie »

Hi, I have a printed copy of the census, I went to the library and got it. I have written Ancestry a number of times to tell them he is not showing up, but so far they have done nothing. I know this is Sam by the info about my grandmother, my Dad and Aunt. I am absolutely posative the war registration is him. My grandmothers parents were living with them. I only 1930 census I have is my grandmother, by then they had separated. I never found him on the 1930. I did find my grandmother with my Dad and Aunt on the 1930, she is Listed as Ann Gustus, head of household. She is in Detroit, Wayne, MI. I found this on Ancestry.com. I do appreciate any nudges in the right direction. Thank you. Gammie
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

gammie wrote:I did find my grandmother with my Dad and Aunt on the 1930, she is Listed as Ann Gustus, head of household. She is in Detroit, Wayne, MI. I found this on Ancestry.com. I do appreciate any nudges in the right direction. Thank you. Gammie
Hi Gammie, I know you already have this record... she is listed as Anna

1930 United States Federal Census Record info
about Anna D Gustus
Name: Anna D Gustus
Estimated birth year: abt 1898
Birthplace: West Virginia
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Home in 1930: Detroit, Wayne, Michigan

http://img473.imageshack.us/img473/9885/gust19300fa.gif

mfjp