Need birth records from Partinico, Sicily

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Paula7928

Need birth records from Partinico, Sicily

Post by Paula7928 »

I will be hiring the attorney Luigi Paiano soon to help my son and I get dual Italian citizenship through my maternal grandmother who had not naturalized to be a US citizen at the time when my mother was born in 1928. I need to know what is the best way to get official records from Partinico. Someone on the ancestry record helped me to find her birth and marriage records in the church record books. I believe I need something more official than that for the court case. I have forms to fill out and mail that I found on the state dept. website but looking for hopefully a faster way. Thanks.
juresanguinis

Re: Need birth records from Partinico, Sicily

Post by juresanguinis »

I work with a genealogist who is EXCELLENT at this sort of stuff. If you private message me I can put you into contact with her.

P.S. - My grandfather was from Partinico! Small world.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Paula, if you're only going back two generations to your grand-mother, you really don't have to hire a genealogist. You can get these records yourself. Just write a letter to the commune in Partinico, Sicily and ask for the records. The address information for every commune in Italy is available online. Just google Partinico, Sicily. You don't have to write in Italian. English is OK. The communes in Italy get enough of these requests from Italian descendants outside of Italy to know what you want, plus I have never run into a commune anywhere in Italy that doesn't have at least one person on the staff who knows some English and I've been in Italy going on 16 years. Just give them as much information as you have. Her name, birth date, name of her parents and any siblings if you know them. Husband's name also helpful. They have to respond to these types of requests. It's their duty. But you should give it a few weeks before you hear from them.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Do you have names and birth dates

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Paula7928

Post by Paula7928 »

Thanks everyone for your comments. I do have exact names and birth dates. I also have a copy of the exact record that someone on the Ancestry boards found on family search.org I just need something official from the commune. I have e-mailed them about 4 times in the last 6 weeks but they do not answer and nothing has showed up so far in my mail so I assume they are ignoring the e-mail. I sent the e-mail in Italian My next step is I am going to send a written letter. At one time I found somewhere on the Partinico site that they were charging for records but when I went back to look for it was unable to find it.
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

Why not try a fax as well;

Comune di Partinico Fax: 091 8781807

Hope it works out for you.
TerraLavoro
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Did you send a photo id with your request for the birth record with the registry index number of the birth act for you are requesting a official document

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Paula7928

Post by Paula7928 »

Yes I included a copy of my drivers license. Mailed it off on Nov. 25 included $5 for postage and said to let me know how much the total cost is. Hope to hear from them soon. I will try the fax number that someone else posted too.
Paula7928

Post by Paula7928 »

My son and I are getting impatient with getting records from Sicily. He called there several times last summer, they always said someone would call back, no one did. I have e-mailed them from several times in Sept & Oct asking what is the cost for mailing (the Post Office no longer sells int'l reply coupons) etc. No one answers. I mailed a letter on Nov. 25 still no reponse. I will fax them tomorrow.

We had planned to send everything to the attorney in Italy in January. I noticed there are several online services in Italy where they will get the record from the commune for $120 or so. Has anyone used these? Were they reliable, is there someone you would recommend?
Paula7928

Post by Paula7928 »

Well I tried to fax from work today but apparently my employer blocks international calls from the copier/fax so will have to figure out another way to do it.