unknown profession

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Anizio
Elite
Elite

unknown profession

Post by Anizio »

Hello,

I am having trouble reading and figuring out an ancestors (Giovanni Galli, age 38) profession in 1876.

Frankly it looks like it says "Linto'aneatore" but I have no idea what that would mean, even if I play around with the letters. Then again it may not say that at all.

Closest real profession I can think of is Intonacatore but the letters don't seem to line up properly for that.

I'll include also an image from 1875 for the same person, but the profession is both hard to read and looks almost different entirely.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Attachments
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: unknown profession

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

At age 38 I am reading "Imbiancatore" which translates to "whitewasher". I'm not sure what this would have entailed back in 1876 though. He may have been something to do with textiles or painting. Maybe someone else on the forum has previously researched this occupation and can shine a light. I'll have a little look meanwhile to see if I can find out more.

I've just looked at the second occupation and it actually fits in with Imbiancatore so it must be right. It looks like "imbianchino" to me which translates to painter, so "painter" it possibly is then? So that was a good guess. :D :D :D

Angela
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Thank you! That makes perfect sense at he was a painter (artistic) at his death, and a varnisher at his wife's death. They all fit a common theme :)
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Anizio wrote:Thank you! That makes perfect sense at he was a painter (artistic) at his death, and a varnisher at his wife's death. They all fit a common theme :)
You are very welcome, Anzio, and I'm so pleased that all the occupations fit a common theme.
Angela :D
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Imbiancatore and imbianchino are synonym and they both translate to "house painter"
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

liviomoreno wrote:Imbiancatore and imbianchino are synonym and they both translate to "house painter"
Grazie. I've added both to my looong list of Italian Professions. So "house painter" would also apply to the mid to late 1800's then?

Angela