BRAVATA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DiMaggio

BRAVATA

Post by DiMaggio »

my grandmother is from sicily, born september 1, 1914..her name is mary grace bravata..i am not sure if her name was different in italy. my grandfather born in the United States, alabama in 1916, his name is Alfredo DiMaggio..he was in world war 2. In italy he met my grandmother i believe they got married and had a baby ( Salvatore) in italy ( i would love to know)..after world war 2 they came to the U.S., new york. I am not sure if there is a way to find out if they were married in italy, if they had My uncle in italy, when they came to new york and how? I know it was shortly after world war 2 ended. I would love to know my family tree right down to the 1800's. unfortunetly my grandmother( mary) passed wheni was very young so that is all the info i have, im sorry. but is there some way i can find some kind of documents to see who my great grandparents are..and wher they were born. maybe if my grandfathers military records were available, would it give enough information?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: BRAVATA

Post by ricbru »

DiMaggio,
to start from there your family tree provide:
Mary Grace death record, cemetery record, social security death index and naturalization declaration and petition (if any)
In the naturalization paper there is written right date and place of birth.
Palermo area has about 100 municipality
These are the Bravata in the Palermo area phone book

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... a&ind=&nc=

I hope it helps,
bye Riccardo
DiMaggio

Post by DiMaggio »

i do have her death record, but she passed in the united states..should there be something on her death certificate that gives me more information, and i believe i have my granfathers social security number, does that help
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

I mean Mary grace records from USA!
your grandfather ssdi can help so so!
bye Riccardo
DiMaggio

Post by DiMaggio »

i'm sorry, i dont understand what i should do...how can i find out more about my grandmother..her family ..if she married my grandfather in italy.. how she came here with my grandfather.. he was serving in the war, i wonder if he brought her back to the U.S. with him when he was done serving..im sorry i am new to this...thank you for the phone numbers, but i dont think that is going to help only because i dont speak italian, im sorry. or was i suppose to do something else with them?> :oops:
DiMaggio

Post by DiMaggio »

also being that my grandfather was in world war 2 is there some kind of military documents that i can find any information about him.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,

You can try sending for your grandfather's military records. But, there was a terrible fire in St. Louis and many of the original WWII army records were lost. So, what you get is what they have been able to reconstruct. If your parent (son or daughter of the grandfather) is still alive, it will be easier for them to order the record.

http://www.archives.gov/research/index.html

See military records on this site.

Ricbru is telling you to start with the known and work backwards. The copy of the grandfathers death certificate is one document. GEt a copy of your grandmothers death certifcate. Get copies of obituaries. These will give you information to work further back with.

You can also file a FOIA with INS to try and get informaiton on your grandmother.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-639.htm

Because you have so few facts to work with you have to gather them and work backwards. Does the Uncle, who was possibly born in Italy, still live? If so call and ask questions. If he is deceased, perhaps one of his children have his birht record or know where in Italy he was born. GEt his obituary. You need to identify the town in Italy they came from in order to do research in Italy.
DiMaggio

Post by DiMaggio »

thank you ! that helps alot i will see what i can do :)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Is this your ancestor?

Connecticut Death Index, 1949-2001 Record
about MARY DIMAGGIO
Name: MARY DIMAGGIO
Father's Surname: NARGI
Death Date: 26 January 1984
Death Place: Branford, Connecticut
Birth Place: Connecticut
Birth Date: 10 August xxxYOB10
Marital Status: Divorced
Spouse: ALFRE
State File #: 00032
Industry: HALSEY THEMPER COMPANY
Residence: Hamden, Connecticut
Address: 393 SHEPARD AV , 06514
Race: White

wldspirit
DiMaggio

Post by DiMaggio »

no im sorry thats not her thank you though, she died in new york, and her birthday is september 1, 1914. if there is anymore info that you can give me it is greatly appreciated. i am going to try to get my grandfathers military records, and i really hope that can at least tell me where exactly she came from, also her last name is BRAVATA, which is considered her surname, right?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I could find no records of any kind using the dates or names provided....as they say...close but no cigar........ :wink:
do as Deb suggested, pull all US records and talk to family. Most libraries have newspapers archived on microfilm, her obit may provide you with addidtional clues.
wldspirit
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Any Mauro's in your family?

mfjp
DiMaggio

Post by DiMaggio »

sorry, as far as i know no MAURO in my family, the problem also is that, i havent said anything about this but my grandfather walked out on the family when my dad was about 5 yrs old, my grandmother spoke broken english so my dad doesnt even know much, its sad. i know where my grandmother was buried would the people at the cemetary no any information??? i dont know if you know the answer to that, but you guys seem to know your geneology so i am just going to ask even if it sounds silly (sorry) ( i am a newbie to this) i would love to just fill my dad with alot of information, iam going to try to get papers from NARA to fill out to get info on my granfather and my dad has my grandmothers death certificate, ( the last time i looked at it i dont think i knew what to look for) so i am going to get as much information as i can off of that...thank you so much you huys for sending me on the right track, i think its very sad what happened to my dad cause he is such a good man, and iknow he wants to know his roots more then i do, he thinks i dont know, but i know it hurts him...thanks everybody!!!! :D
missy322
Rookie
Rookie

Post by missy322 »

Hello, My GGGrandmother was Vincenza Bravata born in or near Mezzojuso, Sicily. She was born abt. 1860 and came to the US in abt. 1900. I am working on researching farther back.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
if you want to go further back, I suggest you to write for birth certificate, or integral copy of birth act to:

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Umberto I
90030 Mezzoiuso (PA)
Italy

or contact

Archivio di Stato di Palermo

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... PALERMO%22

or rent Mezzojuso civil record microfilm to FHL (mormon church)

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

Mormon churches nearest to you

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... c_find.asp

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol: