Looking for a skilled reader of sloppy old writing.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ztnjpv

Looking for a skilled reader of sloppy old writing.

Post by ztnjpv »

Hi. I have been trying to decipher a name in this link:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2046915

It should bring you to a page (image 15) from Stato delle Anime in Monreale (Palermo) 1780-81.

The 2nd entry in the upper left is the one in question.

Neither I nor my mother can make out the name with certainty.

I see:

???odenzia??? valerio vedova di Geromino
sebastiano figlio C.C.
???catarina???

Any thoughts? Thanks.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Looking for a skilled reader of sloppy old writing.

Post by adelfio »

Could be Persia
What person are you researching?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
ztnjpv

Post by ztnjpv »

Hi Marty. I was hoping to find Lorenza or Nunzia....preferably Lorenza because that would be the best match. The son being Sebastiano would also work. Any idea what C.C. is? I see it a lot in these entries.

Thanks for your time!
archimista

Post by archimista »

Sacraments received: one letter C in case of Confession,
two letter "C" Confessione and Eucharist
three in case of Confession, Eucharist and Confirmation

patrizia
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

What year and what surname

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
ztnjpv

Post by ztnjpv »

Marty,

Here's the context, all in Monreale, Palermo:

Salvatore Valerio (15 Oct 1793-9 Dec 1889) is my 3rd great grandfather. His wedding announcement lists parents as Sebatstiano and Saveria: (lower right):

In turn, Sebastiano and Saveria's wedding lists Sebastiano's parents as Tommaso and Lorenza (upper Left):

I have been unable to find a wedding or birth info for either Tommaso or Lorenza nor a baptism for Sebastiano. To complicate matters, the confirmation record for Sebastiano lists Mro Girolamo and Nunzia as parents. This is not a common last name and the ages of sebastiano wherever I find him are perfect. Moreover, Sebastiano attempted to name 3 sons Girolamo but never Tommaso. Yet they named their first daughter Lorenza.

Sebastiano's father is listed as deceased by the time of 1778 at his confirmation and wedding in 1791.

That brings us to the Stato delle Anime in 1780. I find what I was hoping to find a widow named Lorenza or Nunzia married to a Girolamo (geronimo is the same) with a son sebastiano. It all sort of fits but still has lose ends.

I fear this line of my family is at an impasse.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I have a feeling Sebastiano son of Tommaso and Lorenza Valerio was born somewhere else but since Saveria Cammarata was born there they where married in Monreale
I checked for children of Tommaso and Lorenza Valerio 1748-1780 nothing in Monreale

Baptism of Saveria Cammarata #282

Marty

Marty
ztnjpv

Post by ztnjpv »

Yes Marty. Welcome to my world! I am reaching wherever I can for some magic bullet.

I have done all I can. I continued Saveria's family as far back as I could.

The Death of Mro Girolamo on 12 Nov 1774 says nothing of a wife. It only states he was 60. The date works in terms of the father (by whatever name) of Sebastiano being deceased in 1778 for the confirmation, 1780 for the census and 1791 (2nd from bottom on left):

We learn parental names from this link (leonardo and antonia) but no kids by those names anywhere....only sebastiano. However, Seb's confirmation says he is 9 in 1778 so that would make him born around 1769. If this Mro Girolamo above is his father that would mean he was born in 1714 and that makes him rather old to be the father.

As to the idea that this family comes from somewhere else, the proof is in the link to Girolamo's death....he is from Santa Margherita di Belice (santa Margarita). In one of the baptisms of Sebastiano and Saveria's kids, the godparent is from Gibellina which next to Santa Margherita.

Sadly, there are no records for these towns on familysearch that I can access aside from digitized records which yielded no results.

There is also a Catarina Valerio daughter of Mro Girolamo and Brigida woven in here during confirmation and as a godmother to one of Seb's kids. Not even going there.

In the end, I am sure all these people are related but there is missing info that prevents me from tying it all together. I guess I was pinning some hope on this census record. No such luck so far.